Winter Upgrades have begun and some to figure out

rzimmerl

Established Member
Since buying this Cobra in August, enjoying and fixing issues for last few months its time for a few upgrades. First started with these Kenne Brown by Speedline wheels that I purchased 4 years ago for my Thunderbird SC, that I then sold to a buddy that he never used, and got them back. Still vintage 1995 Michelin Pilot tires all around. Wheels are 3 piece 18x8.5 and 18x10, and will be getting Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires.

Next replace stock brakes with new rotors, Hawk pads, and new brake fluid.

Now some of the TBD, the suspension upgrades. Need to lower the car but question is how much 1" with HR Race/MM Springs or the 2" with HR Supersports, all using poly isolators to keep the creaks out. Obviously not a track car but will be doing some spirited cruising and general need some better handling with looks. Looking to pair the springs with either Koni DA or Bilsteins, with MM C/C plates, Steeda X2 balljoints, MM Sport rear lower LCA's, and rebuild the UCA bushing with the replacement arms. Any suggestions or feedback on shock/spring combos?

IMG_3275.JPG
IMG_3269.JPG

boost88

Established Member
My 98gt had the basic billsteins and an eibach kit. Wasn't a bad ride at all. This car has some ebay lowering springs on it now until I can buy coilevers.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I loved my H&R SS springs. Great stance and they had just as nice if a ride as the OEM did. I ran them with Tokico blues.

rzimmerl

Established Member
If need to be replaced what is the best front lower control arm bushing?

shurur

Established Member
With the prothane poly isos and H&R springs, you should get about .75-1" in the rear and a good 1.5" in the front. The Road racing raked look.

BUT..those numbers are for the IRS.
The SRA poly iso thickness as compared the oem rubber isos is the difference.
That poly does not "settle."

rzimmerl

Established Member
Parts are slowly starting to arrive, and Maximum Motorsports shutting down for the month isn't helping as I ordered springs and other stuff from them... Did pick up new Bassani off road X pipe yesterday for $200.

boost88

Established Member
That x pipe is a score because they retail for twice that amount

Does it have the slip in piece on the driver side socket joint? Do not throw that away and make sure you use it. It's got a good chance of leaking if you dont... ask me how I know lol

rzimmerl

Established Member
MM shut down for the month?
Covid related? Or for the holidays?
COVID related. Oddly enough I placed and online order and a phone order on the same day Dec 10th, and got the phone order item last week. Still have not gotten a response back about the delay on the online order. I do know one thing Koni single adjustables are extremely hard to get right now. Originally ordered Koni's from Steeda as they were $70 cheaper but got response after ordering with tentative ship date of 2/28/21. Called MM and got the last set they had on the shelf.

rzimmerl

Established Member
That x pipe is a score because they retail for twice that amount

Does it have the slip in piece on the driver side socket joint? Do not throw that away and make sure you use it. It's got a good chance of leaking if you dont... ask me how I know lol

Mis spoke like new should have been in the post, could not have been used much as no exhaust soot in it. Do I have the piece your talking about as this is what I got?
bassani.jpg

boost88

Established Member
This is it. Just sits in the driver's side flange. I swore it got tossed. It may or may not leak without it. But mine does have a slight leak so I'm gonna toss this in there to help seal it
3b1f57b04525dc184b30d60882d60931.jpg
d2c2e8928483ed996c68946ca89b2b30.jpg

rzimmerl

Established Member
Got this JLT Intake in the other day, slightly used $150. Plan to do a stock intake to JLT with Lightning MAF dyno comparison this spring when make it to buddies shop to complete the tune. Other then this getting little frustrated with Maximum Motorsports on the rest of my parts. Says they are still open for emails but have not gotten a response back in 20 days now.... I want to just cancel now as I can order what I need in stock from LMR and CJ Pony.JLT.jpg

rzimmerl

Established Member
Been searching trying to find some info on which rear control arms to get. J&M doesn't search very well, anyone have reviews on them? Would be using J&M upper and lower with ford performance rubber bushings on the axle.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Been searching trying to find some info on which rear control arms to get. J&M doesn't search very well, anyone have reviews on them? Would be using J&M upper and lower with ford performance rubber bushings on the axle.

You can do J&M lowers, but I would use some OEM uppers.

rzimmerl

Established Member
The pile is almost complete. Still have to order stock replacement upper and lower rear control arms.

Now to the front control arms. Located used 03/04 Cobra arms for ~$100 on ebay thinking new plan is to get them and install the Steeda X2 ball joints and prothane/energy suspension inner bushings to keep the ride somewhat the same quality as rubber. Any opinions on prothane vs energy? The prothane kits is much easier to install as the energy requires the sleeves to be removed.

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 86

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
The pile is almost complete. Still have to order stock replacement upper and lower rear control arms.

Now to the front control arms. Located used 03/04 Cobra arms for ~$100 on ebay thinking new plan is to get them and install the Steeda X2 ball joints and prothane/energy suspension inner bushings to keep the ride somewhat the same quality as rubber. Any opinions on prothane vs energy? The prothane kits is much easier to install as the energy requires the sleeves to be removed.

I did the prothane bushings on my 03/04 Cobra A-arms.

Users who are viewing this thread