Winter Storage

CobraRookie

Established Member
Aside from putting some fuel stabilizer in is there anything I should be doing to my car before it goes to sleep? I don't want to jack the car up so I'm going to park the car on some foam insulation so the tires don't get flat spots. Thanks
Don

SSeatr

Established Member
make sure your antifreeze is good...a simple tester will tell you the freezing point..sometimes its only like 0 degrees i like mine to be -20+

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
and

Pump up the tires with a few extra pounds and change the oil. You don't want dirty motor oil sitting in there for all those months.

CobraRookie

Established Member
Tires

I just put the tires on new rims today. Chrome Bullitt rims actually and they look good. They're filled with nitrogen gas. It was only 5 bucks a tire and it helps to keep corosion from starting on the rims. That is an issue here. Oil was just changed as well so that should be ok. Thanks for the tips guys, anything else?

Don

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Aluminum wheels corroding? Wheels can rust due to the moisture in the compressed air but even then aluminum doesn't rust.

Get a simple battery tender (about 30 bucks) and slap it on the battery. Get a fully automatic one so you don't fry the battery.

I"ve heard something about dryer sheets to keep rodents out but I'm not really sure about that.

We don't store our cars down here for winter.

SSeatr

Established Member
oh yeah i also put a moisture control bag or mildew bag for the winter just incase it sucks the moisture out so you dotn get a nasty smell they are cheap its worth it i think...i hate the smell of cars, boats or anything that sits outside without being used

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Yeah, I've heard that dryer sheets too. Gotta figure it's cheep insurance and like someone else said it'll help keep the car from smelling like mildew in the spring!

Like anothersvtguy said, I've heard dirty motor oil will attract moisture condensation that will lay on top of the oil in the pan like a layer and subsequently that water will be the first thing to go through your engine in the spring when you start it up and you definitely don't want that!!! I've heard of folks putting the car up on blocks and draining the oil out for winter storage. They'll leave the oil cap on the dash board to remind themselves to put fresh oil back in the car in the spring.

CobraRookie

Established Member
Dryer Sheets

I like the idea of the dryer sheets. We have used moth balls in the past and the car stinks for half the summer. I haven't heard of anyone draining the oil before. That seems a bit drastic. If the engine blows then I'll just have to rebuild an enhanced version.;-)
Don

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
CobraRookie said:
I like the idea of the dryer sheets. We have used moth balls in the past and the car stinks for half the summer. I haven't heard of anyone draining the oil before. That seems a bit drastic. If the engine blows then I'll just have to rebuild an enhanced version.;-)
Don
. . . clever! :lol1:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Get a cheap cloth cover and put over it. It will keep the dust in the garage from settling on the car. And if you have children, it will keep their hand prints, book bags, etc off of the paint.

Users who are viewing this thread