Winter storage- to run or not?

numbnutz

Established Member
My 5.0 is stored in my insulated garage (not heated) for the winter. Chicago winters get pretty ****in cold as some of you know. I did dump some Stabil in the tank.

Is it better to run once a month up to temp or just wait until spring? Mods in my sig. Thanks guys. :beer:

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
I would start till up to temp every so often. would be better to get it out and drive if possible.

numbnutz

Established Member
Driving isn't really an option as this state uses so much damn salt on the roads for snow. Don't really want all that salt dust on my car. Thanks for the input though.

GrnBullitt08

Established Member
Yeah don't drive it, the salt will tear it up around here.... Mine sits in storage all winter as well. I just start it and let it run every 2-3 weeks.

Nuar

Established Member
I put in fresh oil, full tank of 93 octane fuel, some fuel stabilizer, run the car to let everything circulate and park it for the winter. Battery tender and that's it, I don't start it. It just introduces moisture from condensation that can lead to rusty deposits on bearings and what not.

Nuar

Established Member
I did that to my last mustang for 4 years without any issues and so far one year to this one.

numbnutz

Established Member
That's why I posted. I've always heard both sides. Just wanted to get the most popular responses.

scotmach

Established Member
Not a good idea to just start it. You will never get it hot enough to burn off all the condensation you've created. A battery tender is a good investment.

pickles

Established Member
I put in fresh oil, full tank of 93 octane fuel, some fuel stabilizer, run the car to let everything circulate and park it for the winter. Battery tender and that's it, I don't start it. It just introduces moisture from condensation that can lead to rusty deposits on bearings and what not.

I'll second this. I do the same thing

bmyles

Established Member
The manual says to start it every couple weeks. I start Mine every now and again and take it out for a run if I can. Page 252 and 253 under vehicle care section( Canadian manual )

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
I take the battery out and park it until spring. Been doing that with my summer cars for over 10 years

nonliberal

Established Member
I would probably start it since you have the paxton. You could always put it up on jack stands if you want to put it in gear and let everything turn over and lubricate.

I have a loong driveway that I don't salt so i just drive on it every so often.

'14 Shelby

Established Member

^^^This and maybe something soft like pieces of cardboard or carpet under the tires to prevent flat spots

numbnutz

Established Member
Yeah, the Paxton is my main concern. Probably contact them and see what they recommend.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
I never start mine till spring. Fresh oil, battery tender, stabilizer. When I start it the first time, I floor the gas pedal which shuts off the injectors and crank for 10 + seconds to get the oil circulated. Let off the gas pedal and it fires up nice and smooth.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
Nobody starts their winterized boats all winter either. All you are doing is a bunch of unnecessary cold starts with no oil in the motor heat cycling it and causing moisture and condensation.

Users who are viewing this thread