Winter Storage E85 Terminator

Gary101386

Established Member
This will be my first winter with the Cobra and I have a few questions.

I will not be driving it during winter, and it will sit, covered, for a few months to wait out the Chicago Snow, ice and salt.

Question, should I store it with a FULL tank of E85, or run it low and put FRESH E85 in springtime?

Also, is there anything else I should do with a Cobra for winter storage in my garage VS any other car?

Thanks!

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
The more fuel, the less head space to accumulate moisture. I'd also add some stabil when you fill it up, just to be sure. I haven't had any issues yet and I've been on e85 for 3 years now. Now, I'm no expert and opinions vary, but that has worked for me and I will stay with it until someone proves otherwise.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
My tuner told me to have less in the tank so as to attract less moisture and have less "bad gas" to use up before fresh. But at the same time you should fill it up as others have said why. IDK, I've done both, never had any issues. I've just always put in E85 Stabil or Lucas E85 stabilizer and always drove easy through the first fresh tank in the spring.

It seems that most here favor filling it full.

builttodrive

Established Member
My local tuner instructed me to fill it plump full so there was less room for the fuel to take on moisture in the tank. he also indicated that E85 keeps well and doesn't really go bad like premium. Another thing he instructed me to do was to cycle the key and keep fuel up to the rails and injectors every couple weeks or so.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It seems that most here favor filling it full.

If you're adding a fuel stabilizer (Stabil or Lucas), there should really be no reason to not fill your tank. I would, though, add the stabilizer when the tank is 1/2 full and then top off the tank to get a good mix.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've never stored mine with e85 in the tank. I switch my tune back to the 92 octane tune and fill it up with that along with stabil. I know e85 is already more prone to condensation so I don't chance it.

Upon spring time I'll drive the car until about half tank, then drain it and use it in my truck. Then I switch back to corn.

builttodrive

Established Member
I used to have a fuel pump tune and switch back to 91 over the winter storage months but my local tuner said its really not needed. So I am taking his work for it. I think sta-bil is a great Idea but I was told it would not be a wise to drive the car and stand on it with the sta-bil in the tank. I'm sure many of you already know this.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I used to have a fuel pump tune and switch back to 91 over the winter storage months but my local tuner said its really not needed. So I am taking his work for it. I think sta-bil is a great Idea but I was told it would not be a wise to drive the car and stand on it with the sta-bil in the tank. I'm sure many of you already know this.

I wouldn't recommend going wot after that old gas has been in the tank for 4-5 months. I personally want to run at least 6-10 gallons a year of 92 octane through the motor, that's another reason why I store it with 92.

builttodrive

Established Member
I wouldn't recommend going wot after that old gas has been in the tank for 4-5 months. I personally want to run at least 6-10 gallons a year of 92 octane through the motor, that's another reason why I store it with 92.

Yes sir! It should go without say. I just know a lot of people that don't drive their cars enough even in the summer months and have lost engines because when they have gone to drive them after sitting for weeks at a time the gas has gotten so bad.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Old gas is old gas. Period. E85 will store longer than gasoline due to the small amount of gasoline in the mixture.

Rambro

Established Member
I try to keep the tank full as possible. Never used any additives and it never hard starts. Also I have never used pump gas since switching to e85. Year two for me with this routine.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe next year I'll try and store with e85. I like to run a little 92 through the system from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread