Winter Plans: VMP 2.3 VS Whipple 2.9 VS Nitrous on 2.3 Whipple

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I'm looking to go a little faster in my car and the winter is quickly coming up. I'm hoping to eek out 10.20's@136ish on the little 2.3 whipple but I don't think it has much more in it after that.

I'd like mid 9's (9.7) without changing much. Winter plans are already a new clutch to replace my 2+ (Spec 5), but past that I'm not sure what route. For mid 9's, I would think a small dry 75 shot pre MAF might be enough, or do I sell my gen 2 2.3 whipple and go with one of the other setups? I'm on C16, but only have 60# injectors with dual 255's with the lethal budget return setup. I have the single blade accufab and the BA2600.

I don't want to put a cage in this car so anything much faster is a bit sketchy for my liking. Suggestions from those who have moved beyond the 2.3 whipple limits?

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Im a fan of the VMP! The VMP cars are putting down some great torque numbers and are not spinning them a whole lot. Since you already have a 2.3 though the 2.9 may be what you need to put you into the next level. To get the benefits of the 2.9 you would definitely need some larger injectors. You may be able to get by with the BA2600 but ID1000's and a BA3000 would probably be a great combo to handle more boost.

ctgreddy

Established Member
What's the rest of the setup? if you're still 6speed I'd just put a small shot on the 2.3. It seems like most people that are 6 speed do not get to mid 9's on blower only. I've seen lots of whipple 2.9 guys, kb guys, and tvs guys that stay around the 9.9/10.0 area on blower only, myself included.

03Steve

Established Member
I've had both the 2.3L Whipple and 2.3L TVS. Malcolm has had both the 2.3L TVS and 2.9L Whipple. Personally, I think the 2.3L TVS is the best choice for the cars when it comes to the performance vs maintenance factor. Times in sig.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
2.3 Whipple & small shot, or even up to 100 at 19-21psi. If your running 10.20's @ 136 right now take into account the best 6 spd 2.3 TVS's are running 10.0's @ 140. Not saying 9.70's cant be done, but it better be on a diet, and be trucking into the 1.3's outa 60' I know of 2.3 whipples on 75-100 shots that have been 6.20's in the 1/8th, thats a 9.6-9.7ish pass....

Im sort of in the same dilema with a 2.8H after running [email protected] on 26psi with a 6spd. Im looking to go 9.50's or better....Picked up a basic dry kit, and I plan on backing boost off to 23-24psi, and running a 75 shot dry, post maf. I love the blower, and my only option is go 4.0 Whipple, and that is not $$$ feasible at the time.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've had both the 2.3L Whipple and 2.3L TVS. Malcolm has had both the 2.3L TVS and 2.9L Whipple. Personally, I think the 2.3L TVS is the best choice for the cars when it comes to the performance vs maintenance factor. Times in sig.

I agree performance vs maintenance headache the 2.3 TVS wins over the 2.9 Whipple. The TVS has much more low end and mid range torque than the 2.9 did. Definitely creates a vicious punch when you nail the gas at say 4k RPMs. However the TVS noticeably runs out of steam on the top end vs the 2.9. My 2.9 was at 30 PSI and felt like a freight train on the top end.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Im a fan of the VMP! The VMP cars are putting down some great torque numbers and are not spinning them a whole lot. Since you already have a 2.3 though the 2.9 may be what you need to put you into the next level. To get the benefits of the 2.9 you would definitely need some larger injectors. You may be able to get by with the BA2600 but ID1000's and a BA3000 would probably be a great combo to handle more boost.

A ba2600 can go a long ways, more than most think. I'll have to double check my logs but, 21 psi, 23* timing, and e85 mine was in the 880's.

cj428mach

Established Member
If buying new id go with asomething bigger diameter than the ba2600. Im currently running the vmp 100mm maf which is just a hair smaller than the jlt.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
What's the rest of the setup? if you're still 6speed I'd just put a small shot on the 2.3. It seems like most people that are 6 speed do not get to mid 9's on blower only. I've seen lots of whipple 2.9 guys, kb guys, and tvs guys that stay around the 9.9/10.0 area on blower only, myself included.

It's really a cheap/simple setup; gen 2 Whipple 2.3, 2.6 pulley (22#), billet flow idlers with snub idler, kooks long tubes off road x to flowmasters, lethal budget return with twin 255s, 60 pound injectors, sct ba2600, accufab sbtb, honestly not sure what cai, lethal/Moroso ice reservoir, afco heat exchanger, spec 2 plus, 26 spline, IRS brace, full weight down to the spare, 26" front runners, 28x10x17 hoosier drags in the rear, 2 step. It's on C16 with a max/peak timing at 21*, 12.1 a/f. Everything not listed is stock (stock clutch quadrant, stock suspension, etc)

I was thinking that a bigger blower is going to make me do the entire intake setup (throttle body/maf/possibly cold air) as well as the fuel system (bigger injectors and bigger pumps). If I don't change all that, I'll be stuck in the 10.0 range running out of fuel and air, or at least, again, that's what I was thinking.

The 75 shot through the maf sounds like it might get me 9.8's/9.9's without changing anything, including the tune, and leave it at that.

Last edited:

krazyazian

Established Member
After reading your list I'd try a set of 15" Welds or something. I started off with stock 17's with ET Streets but the 15's were a world of difference for getting my times down.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Revisiting this....

The car is going in for a cage and I'm putting a solid in it, going to keep the 6 speed and stock engine. Which will run the better time out of the vms and the 2.9?

TurboGA

Established Member
my 2.3 Whipple on 19lbs of boost and a 50 shot (wet) would trap 142 mph with the 6 speed. My E.T's were only 10.30"s because of crappy traction on drag radials:)

modFTW

Established Member
IDK guys...These TVS cars when set up are destroying stuff. Super efficient and sound insane. How about a Gen 2 TVS with a 75 on it. The only thing that comes to mind is growth potential.
- Is pump E85 readily available
- Do you plan on building a motor in the future
- TVS+Auto= Best bang for the buck IMO
How about you put the 75 shot on the 2.3 you have now and see if your satisfied. What is $1000 for a legit N2 set up compared to $5-6K to buy a new blower your not happy with. Just my $.02.

Users who are viewing this thread