Window Tint Ticket

SIK07GTSTANG

USMC 0311
Established Member
I just received a ticket today for an illegal window tint on my 2007 Mustang GT. I bought the car brand new and haven't messed with the tint due to Virginia's stringent regulations on anything tint-related. Virginia's law stipulates that anything less than 50% is illegal. Basically, the tint (or lack thereof) is factory, yet the officer measured my tint and got a reading of 49% and still ticketed me, saying that it is "societal hazard". Is there any way I can win this in court referencing the fact that my car's windows have a factory coating or should I just pay the fine? Thanks.

Last edited:

snakebite6

Established Member
i got a pulled over for that one time and i told the officer that my car and been broken into twice because people could see into my windows. He let me go:rockon:

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
I just checked the VA State Police web site and the law states not less than 35% transmittance rear and rear side glass, and 50% for the front side glass, so long as you are equipped with left and right side mirrors, which you are. Where did he measure the 49%?

oldmodman

Established Member
If your car has NO APPLIED TINT on the windows your car is legal anywhere in the United States. But if the dealer applied the tint before your purchase of the car you will have to remove it.

I have never seen any car that was illegal as shipped from the factory. If it meets DOT specifications and has not had additional tint applied it is legal. PERIOD.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
There is a +/- 3% error factor to our tint meters. I would challenge it as you were so close, and the error to the tint meters.

SIK07GTSTANG

USMC 0311
Established Member
I just checked the VA State Police web site and the law states not less than 35% transmittance rear and rear side glass, and 50% for the front side glass, so long as you are equipped with left and right side mirrors, which you are. Where did he measure the 49%?

He measured the glass on the passenger side door.

canibus

Established Member
If the dealer did infact tint the car, take it in to a tint shop to get removed. In cali it's 10bucks for a fix it. I imagine it'll be the same in your state.

Turbo96

Turbo Spool FTW!
Established Member
i wouldnt think stock would be 49% anyway. most cars from the factory are usually around 80% on the front windows stock. if in fact the windows are factory it is perfectly legal and it doesnt matter if it reads less than 50% because it is like that from the factory. if its dealer installed then its illegal and the dealership will have to have it removed.

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
If your car has NO APPLIED TINT on the windows your car is legal anywhere in the United States. But if the dealer applied the tint before your purchase of the car you will have to remove it.

I have never seen any car that was illegal as shipped from the factory. If it meets DOT specifications and has not had additional tint applied it is legal. PERIOD.

Not so in NY. I believe each car sold from a dealership has to be inspected before it is sold and it would not pass if this were the case. Now, probably not every dealership follows this to the "T" so the respopnsibility would fall on the owner, unless you can get the dealership to step up if they sold you the car that way. You could put a piece of clear film over the factory driver's window and it would fall less than 70% light transmittance. The factory windows on my police car measured 71%.

"Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

If the vehicle is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible, the rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window.

It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.

If a medical condition requires a person to have tinted vehicle windows, they can request an exemption from the law."

Branigan77

Established Member
There is a +/- 3% error factor to our tint meters. I would challenge it as you were so close, and the error to the tint meters.

lolol.....Like you could buy 49% tint anyway. I can't believe he would act that way unless he was provoked or just having a bad day.

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
Take your dealer documentation and go to court. Explain to judge. It's ironic but here we have an exception for tint- for law enforcement cars. That carries over to undercover cars as well and regular street officers don't know our cars from squat. Since I drive 4 miles to the courthouse several times a day-through rough neigborhoods AND drive different cars with extreme tint- I get stopped all the time.

SlowLNF

Established Member
If you don't have any paperwork on tint being installed at the dealer make a trip to your dealer and find out from them. I personally think that the fact that we need laws against window tint is stupid. I understand why they're there but it makes it horrible for the rest of us that aren't going to shoot a cop or make a left turn into a car sitting in the left turn lane.

Personally when I get pulled over, I know it's for my window tint and I immidiately put down both front windows, open the visor for my sunroof and turn on all interior lights so that the officer can see in as good as possible. Only once have I actually been asked to show my prescription for window tint and that officer was a complete asshole, I filed a complaint and he got transferred.

Users who are viewing this thread