window tint ticket?

jenkins_1120

Established Member
im asking this for my cousin and b/c it kinda got me curious after talking to him. Hes got a civic with what is supposed to be factory tint 50% front and 35% rear, that was installed by the dealer. anyway, he got pulled over and issued a ticket and on the ticket the cop put 44%. he went back to the dealer asking about the tint after the ticket. is it even worth him fighting the ticket or just pay it? ticket is in VA i think warrenton.

thanks

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Most FACTORY tint on a sedan is NOT dark at all. My state Impala shows like 93% on the tint, meaning only 7% of light is blocked. Dealer added tint is NOT considered factory. Adding 50% tint on top of factory glass will lower that rating because you have to factor in factory tinting. When I tried adding 50% tint on my Cobra, it actually came out to 37%, which on front windows in VA is dark.

Now, VA statute DOES GIVE a 7% leeway, meaning that 50% on front windows, and 35% on rear windows is what the statute says is legal, but with the 7% variance, he legally cannot be given a ticket unless the front tint is 42% OR lower and the rear tint is 38% OR lower. If he was written a ticket for 44% tint, tell him to print off the state code section (46.2-1052) and take it to court.

Users who are viewing this thread