Window Tint Question

00 SVTC

Established Member
I purchased my Contour with 20% tint already on it and one day I got pulled over by state. He said he'd give me a week to take it off cause it's illegal in MN. Ok, but I like the tint so whatever. Then a few months later I got pulled over for nothing but tint again but obviously I got a ticket this time. It was either pay 130 and go on with life or take the tint off and pay more to retint it in something else so I paid the 130 cause the car just looks too good with the tint. Now a year later I get pulled over yet again for nothing but tint and he issued me a ticket. This time he said if I get pulled over again they were going to impound my car and "take care of them problem themselves". First of all is this true and I really need to get on this problem cause of this law? Or is there something that I might be able to do to be able to leave on my tint. I wear glasses and someone said I can talk to my eye doctor and have him say I can have tint. Or someone else suggested registering the car in another state, which seems like too much work to me. I don't know, if I NEED to, I'll take off the tint, but I'm trying to find any and all ways possible to leave it on. Any suggestions?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Take off the tint, you have become a habitual offender and that will your car to be impounded. Registering your car in another state wont help you as every state requires that within a certain time frame (30 to 60 days usually) of residing in that state that your vehicle be properly registered there.

As for the doctors note, most states that do have the exception require a physician's affidavit and/or a specific form. If you dont have a specific diagnosed medical condition a legitimate physician should not fill out such form, if they are available in your state.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Do what I did, take care of the fix it ticket, show them, then retint the windows the allowed amount. Assuming we are talking about the side windows, what I did was tint over the side windows myself with darker tint but don't peel the plastic off the film when applying. Then if you ever get pulled over again, that second layer pulls right off and your windows will be of legal %. I got pulled over for this and when the LEO came up to the car he said "Hmmmm, they looked darker when I passed you!" :lol:

And if he sees the dark film laying in the car where you throw it, just tell them it was the previous film you had on before you fixed it.

Last edited:

jimljr145

Jimljr145
Established Member
I'm not too sure I would follow the above advice on pulling off a second layer of tint when you are getting pulled over. One of the most dangerous parts of a police officer's job is car stops. They are "never" routine. If I was behind you and saw "furtive movement" (Suspicious) I'd be sure to have ample back up and you would have big problems...

00 SVTC

Established Member
03MUSCLE said:
Your Breaking The Law!

Wouldn't be the first...Unfortunately I think the only thing I can do is take it off. It really sucks but I guess if I want to keep my car...

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Not to hijack here but can a LEO issue a ticket for tinted windows even though you are not driving that car that night, he just knows you own a car with them?

Users who are viewing this thread