Window tint experts, step in please.

Coiled03

Established Member
Does anyone know with certainty whether or not factory privacy glass offers any UV protection, or heat rejection?

I'm going to tint the windows on my new truck. My original plan was to just do the front two windows and match the transparency as close to the factory rears as possible. Now, I'm reading some places the rear privacy glass doesn't offer the benefits of film. I'd prefer not to pay the extra to do the rears in clear film if I don't have to. But I need to know what the deal is with the privacy glass.

SHOdown220

Established Member
can't help with your question but tinting my windows was the best thing I've done to my car. 15% tint with the addition of the front windshield sun shade makes at least a 20 degree difference in my car when i get in after work. That and it provides me with a dark place to take a nap on lunch break lol.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Newer cars have a better form of laminate to aid in resisting UV damage/heat.

Old cars, nope. Hence why you see cracked dashes a lot and bleached interiors. I tint all of my cars/have some sort of tint.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Even the cheaper tints help with heat.

My fiancees old mini couldn't keep up in the summer, the AC was too pathetic. After tinting it was acceptable, you didn't need to drive with it on max all the time.

JJackson515

Established Member
What year truck are we talking? I know you said new, but not sure if were talking new new, or new to you.

I have my truck 20% front windows, and 45% front windshield on the whole thing. Back are 20% from the factory on my 17. I always got to have mine done. like others have said It helps 100% in my opinion with keeping things cool.

My mustang is 15% all the way around, 35% windshield and its awesome with blocking out the heat. I dont even have a need for sunglasses, which i like as well.

Coiled03

Established Member
What year truck are we talking? I know you said new, but not sure if were talking new new, or new to you.

I have my truck 20% front windows, and 45% front windshield on the whole thing. Back are 20% from the factory on my 17. I always got to have mine done. like others have said It helps 100% in my opinion with keeping things cool.

My mustang is 15% all the way around, 35% windshield and its awesome with blocking out the heat. I dont even have a need for sunglasses, which i like as well.

It's a 2018 F150, so brand new. I understand the benefits. That's why I'm looking to get it done. My question is whether or not the factory dipped/tinted glass is as effective as window film/tint at UV protection, and heat reduction. My google-fu has found conflicting answers.

JJackson515

Established Member
It's a 2018 F150, so brand new. I understand the benefits. That's why I'm looking to get it done. My question is whether or not the factory dipped/tinted glass is as effective as window film/tint at UV protection, and heat reduction. My google-fu has found conflicting answers.

Look on the window itself. Ford windows are made by carlex, which show a 31%-42% UV protection for the rear windows on fords.

UV Windshield ProtectionUV Protection

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Newer cars have a better form of laminate to aid in resisting UV damage/heat.

Old cars, nope. Hence why you see cracked dashes a lot and bleached interiors. I tint all of my cars/have some sort of tint.
True! I have a 2016 Edge Sport and the factory tint works well. I tinted the front side windows to match the factory tint (not ceramic) and left the windshield as is. On the hottest days the interior is definitely bearable and cools quickly.

Even the cheaper tints help with heat.

My fiancees old mini couldn't keep up in the summer, the AC was too pathetic. After tinting it was acceptable, you didn't need to drive with it on max all the time.
Also true. I had ceramic tint all around on my old 2014 Mini Cooper S. My Edge has non-ceramic premium tint all around, including the front sides. I don't notice much difference at all between the interior temps in my old Mini compared to my current Edge. I don't believe it's worth paying twice the cost of regular tint. JMO.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Which windows you tint depends on your state laws. Windshields normally cannot be fully tinted for safety reasons driving at night. I know in Connecticut you can't tint the windshield beyond the upper strip that comes from the factory. For the record, my 2016 Edge Sport factory tinted doesn't blow monkey balls. It's actually a decent tint (rear sides and rear hatch). LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread