Window Tint Exemption ( Do I have a snowballs chance) TX

03cobrarocks

Established Member
So I am sending in a window tint exemption request form as soon as my family doctor signs off on it and am just curious if you guys think it will go through.

I myself have not been diagnosed with any of the following problems but people in my family have.

Macular Degeneration (Degenerative eye disease) - My grandmother and Father have it. Sadly my father got it at a pretty young age compared to most people 54.

Skin Cancer and other Skin Problems - My mom's dad, my mom and my grandmother have all had patches of skin cancer. ( I am sure this alone wouldn't be enough as probably more common than I think)

Do I have a snowball chance in hell? My cars have 20% and 15% on them... If it doesn't go through I suppose I will just switch it to 25% as that is not much different from 20% anyway. The hassle of finding a "crooked" inspector is just more trouble than it is worth at this point in my live.

Zemedici

Established Member
As far as I know you need to have the conditions yourself, or have the affected people listed on your insurance and driving the vehicle for it to apply to said exemptions. So i dont believe you will get it based on your probability/family history of the conditions, no.

However, I dont know many LEOs who will randomly pull over a casually driving vehicle solely for darker than normal window tint. You need to be acting a fool and drawing attention to yourself, in which case the tint would be the least of your worries. When you get pulled over, just roll your windows down? :shrug:

And please dont advocate searching for a crooked police officer on a public forum....ha

03cobrarocks

Established Member
As far as I know you need to have the conditions yourself, or have the affected people listed on your insurance and driving the vehicle for it to apply to said exemptions. So i dont believe you will get it based on your probability/family history of the conditions, no.

However, I dont know many LEOs who will randomly pull over a casually driving vehicle solely for darker than normal window tint. You need to be acting a fool and drawing attention to yourself, in which case the tint would be the least of your worries. When you get pulled over, just roll your windows down? :shrug:

And please dont advocate searching for a crooked police officer on a public forum....ha

Well darn! And yea I wasn't really talking about the officer in this case I was talking about the state inpector to get car inspected. Sorry guess I should have worded that better

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Here we go again.
First off, a vehicle can be stopped solely for illegal tint so there is no other reason (probable cause) to stop you. And yes I will stop for it, have for years.
Second, I don't think a doctor would write a note for something you don't have. Although there are crooked doctors.
Third, if you do get one it must need to be stamped with the Texas Dept. Of Public Safety's approval. That would act as a government document and making a false statement is a felony.
Which way do you want to go a class C or a felony?

Zemedici

Established Member
Here we go again.
First off, a vehicle can be stopped solely for illegal tint so there is no other reason (probable cause) to stop you. And yes I will stop for it, have for years.
Second, I don't think a doctor would write a note for something you don't have. Although there are crooked doctors.
Third, if you do get one it must need to be stamped with the Texas Dept. Of Public Safety's approval. That would act as a government document and making a false statement is a felony.

there ya have it OP :beer:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Here we go again.

Look pal not sure what you mean by "Here we go again" I am not some thug trying to hide my face so I can go around stalking people or shot people as they approach my vehicle.

first off, I have been stopped by a state trooper in a previous vehicle, I had 5% all around on that vehicle so I wasn't upset or anything that I got pulled over. I understand that some things that can make your car look visual appleasing is breaking the law. I paid the 80 bucks for the ticket and stripped the tint off o well no big loss.

Second, not sure why you think doctor would be crooked? I am not asking a doctor to write down that I have a disease or anything like that, I am asking him to make a letter stating that I have strong family genetics that show I could be prone to said disease/problems.

Lastly, I have done a little searching on this subject and I have found a "Texas Department of Public Safety Request for Window Tint Medical Exemption" form and plan on filling it out truthful and fully.

All four of the vehicles I have owned have had 20% or darker tint. I had a truck that was daily driven for 3 years that had 15% on driver and passenger. I guess some officers don't hate it as much as you do....

Last edited:

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I was not accusing you of being a thug pal. I am merely stating facts so don't take it personal.
I've been an Leo for about 25 years, I call it the way I see it. There is very little gray area with my daily operations as folks simply need to follow the rules.
In my career I've seen a few doctors arrested for various things. Matter of fact in my county we have a doctor fixing to go on trial for giving out scrips to folks who didnt need them.
If you can get it done and have the stamp of approval from my Agency then more power to you.
FYI, they do make a clear screen UV window tint. So no need for a doctors note with this.

Last edited:

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
There will always be an Leo, that has more concern for the revenue machine , than the constitution.
One must ask themselves, is the tint causing anyone else harm?
Is the tint commuting a crime , or about to ?
Is this issue , much like the gun debate ?

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
There will always be an Leo, that has more concern for the revenue machine , than the constitution.
One must ask themselves, is the tint causing anyone else harm?
Is the tint commuting a crime , or about to ?
Is this issue , much like the gun debate ?

im sure you mean committing a crime. if the degree of tint is illegal, then yes. the person operating the vehicle is committing a crime. some states, its an infraction for first offense.

tint can not commit a crime. neither can a gun for that matter. have you ever heard of a gun being charged for murder or assault?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
However, I dont know many LEOs who will randomly pull over a casually driving vehicle solely for darker than normal window tint. You need to be acting a fool and drawing attention to yourself, in which case the tint would be the least of your worries. When you get pulled over, just roll your windows down?
they do it all the time. in every state including yours. just because it hasn't happened to you does not mean it doesn't happen. and if you roll your windows down be prepared for the cop to tell you to roll them part way up. he can do that and he can measure.

Look pal not sure what you mean by "Here we go again" I am not some thug trying to hide my face so I can go around stalking people or shot people as they approach my vehicle.
he means this question (or similar questions) have been asked and answered a few dozen times in this forum. The fact that you see someone calling you a "thug" when there isn't even a hint of him saying that is telling
Second, not sure why you think doctor would be crooked? I am not asking a doctor to write down that I have a disease or anything like that, I am asking him to make a letter stating that I have strong family genetics that show I could be prone to said disease/problems.
IMHO he is crooked because he is writing you a note knowing full well that a) it will not get approved and b) hoping that you will get some dumber ass than him that doesn't know the law and it will slip through. The paperwork is clear. YOU have to have these conditions. You don't have, ergo you are wasting your time. there is absolutely NO medical evidence that driving around in a car without tint increases the risk of Macular Degeneration. Your doctor knows this so he is being dishonest.
All four of the vehicles I have owned have had 20% or darker tint. I had a truck that was daily driven for 3 years that had 15% on driver and passenger. I guess some officers don't hate it as much as you do....
it has nothing to do with hate, it has everything to do with it being illegal and people who think they are not subject to the law. it gives cops a Probable cause for stoping and checking your other info and there are a LOT of criminals that are caught because of being stopped for things like no front plate or tint too dark. I don't have a front plate but my tint is within the law because like you said the difference between 20% and 25% is meaningless.
Tint it how you want just roll the windows down when you're near a cop.
and be prepared to roll them up when he asks you to. and yes, you have to do it.

Last edited:

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Here we go again.

just answer the question nicely... there's no need to be a prick.

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
While I am no longer in law enforcement I did have extensive training in traffic crashes and homicide reconstruction. I was documented a crash expert by the courts. There has been ZERO proof that window tint causes crashes like some states claim which they say is the reason for tint laws. The ONLY reason for tint laws is so police officers can see inside your vehicles. Simply put, officer safety. So everyone is guilty here until proven innocent. As a former 12+ year Sergeant i can tell you this is a pointless law that has zero bearing on anything other than the police not being able to see in your cars. Oh and who ever said you can stop for tint violations is wrong. In FL it's a secondary violation.

Sorry to all the current LEO here I respect ALL of you but you know this to be true.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
just answer the question nicely... there's no need to be a prick.
and yet here you are .. being exactly that
While I am no longer in law enforcement I did have extensive training in traffic crashes and homicide reconstruction. I was documented a crash expert by the courts. There has been ZERO proof that window tint causes crashes like some states claim which they say is the reason for tint laws. The ONLY reason for tint laws is so police officers can see inside your vehicles. Simply put, officer safety. So everyone is guilty here until proven innocent. As a former 12+ year Sergeant i can tell you this is a pointless law that has zero bearing on anything other than the police not being able to see in your cars. Oh and who ever said you can stop for tint violations is wrong. In FL it's a secondary violation.
oh so you were an LEO in all other 49 states huh? or maybe there is some other way you became an expert in the policies and procedures of the other states? please enlighten us as to what the law is in Texas and California since you are more of an expert than the ICEMAN who is a Texas LEO.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member

Sorry to all the current LEO here I respect ALL of you but you know this to be true.

In Virginia, you would be wrong. It is a PRIMARY violation here, and also a Class 3 misdemeanor for the first offense. A second or subsequent offense becomes a Class 2 Misdemeanor AND a judge can ORDER you to remove it. Fail to remove it OR reapply at an illegal level, then you COULD be dealing with a Contempt of Court charge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread