Windage tray/Oil Pan gasket?

RFM50

Established Member
I had my motor built by a local machine shop last May and I developed an oil leak 2-3 months later. I got up under there and checked it out and at first I thought it could be the rear main. Well after pulling back the inspection sheild a little, it's definitely not the rear main. My question is, does the Windage tray require a silicone bead? I'm wondering if the shop didn't do that. It seems to me now that the only place it could be coming from is the pan.

CPRsm

Yeah she needs rtv in four spots for the gasket to seal. Pretty much one dab in each corner where aluminum meets the block

NTXRockr

Established Member
Yeah she needs rtv in four spots for the gasket to seal. Pretty much one dab in each corner where aluminum meets the block

Or you could be like THIS GUY and put rtv on both sides of the windage tray the entire way around, to ensure it had a firm seal...or to spread the gap wider to show me where the leaks were. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, right?!? :burnout:

RFM50

Established Member
Ya not real sure what the machine shop did but I do know that they are going to have to drop the k member to get to it. I sure as hell am not gong to pull the motor again. This is there screw up so there going to need to do it at there shop.

Users who are viewing this thread