Wilwood brake Kit install ?

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
I just receive my 14inch 6p Kit today, I will be installing tomorrow. My question is did any of you guys need to use the supplied shims to get the caliper aligned correctly. Also any tips or pointers?

Thanks

blackedout06

Established Member
I just used one shim on each side just like the pictures on the instructions and had no issues...As far as tips go, I would go real easy when tightening the flex line fittings because I cracked the little dome inside one of the fittings and then the whole thing was junk. I called Wilwood to give them a piece of my mind because I couldn't believe how easy an almost $40 dollar line could break and after a little back and forth they sent me a new one for free. I wasn't impressed with the way the customer service guy was treating me, but thats over with now. Other than that issue it took me no time to put them on and they look and work great. Good luck with the install :beer:

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
I just used one shim on each side just like the pictures on the instructions and had no issues...As far as tips go, I would go real easy when tightening the flex line fittings because I cracked the little dome inside one of the fittings and then the whole thing was junk. I called Wilwood to give them a piece of my mind because I couldn't believe how easy an almost $40 dollar line could break and after a little back and forth they sent me a new one for free. I wasn't impressed with the way the customer service guy was treating me, but thats over with now. Other than that issue it took me no time to put them on and they look and work great. Good luck with the install :beer:

Great thanks a lot man, They gave me 4 fittings in the flex line kit 2 are 45 degree and the other 2 look like reducers , i am assuming they are some kind of adapters?

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
I did use the shims. I had to use a different adapter on one of the sides to get the brake line to connect. I don't know if Wilwood included the wrong one or what. Just an FYI

blackedout06

Established Member
Great thanks a lot man, They gave me 4 fittings in the flex line kit 2 are 45 degree and the other 2 look like reducers , i am assuming they are some kind of adapters?

I did use the shims. I had to use a different adapter on one of the sides to get the brake line to connect. I don't know if Wilwood included the wrong one or what. Just an FYI
I put the 45 degree fittings into the calipers and maybe the reducers are new because just like 50 Deep, I had to put a new smaller fitting on the passenger side to get the flex line to connect. For some reason the passenger side factory fitting is smaller than the drivers side. The drivers side factory fitting worked fine for me, so I would assumer the reducer is their fix for that issue instead of making you cut the line and put a smaller fitting on like I had to do.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member

Thanks for the heads up, how many shims did you have to use to get alignment?, I am only going to use the suggested (1) and go from there.

I put the 45 degree fittings into the calipers and maybe the reducers are new because just like 50 Deep, I had to put a new smaller fitting on the passenger side to get the flex line to connect. For some reason the passenger side factory fitting is smaller than the drivers side. The drivers side factory fitting worked fine for me, so I would assume the reducer is their fix for that issue instead of making you cut the line and put a smaller fitting on like I had to do.

Did (2) 45 degree fittings only come with your flex line kit?, Also did you use thread sealant on the fitting that goes to the back of caliper? I didnt see anything noted in the wilwood instructions.But see they used it on the bleeder valves on the calipers.

Last edited:

blackedout06

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up, how many shims did you have to use to get alignment?, I am only going to use the suggested (1) and go from there.

Did (2) 45 degree fittings only come with your flex line kit?, Also did you use thread sealant on the fitting that goes to the back of caliper? I didnt see anything noted in the wilwood instructions.But see they used it on the bleeder valves on the calipers.
Yeah my kit only came with the (2) 45 degree fittings and that is what I put into the calipers and then ran the flex line from that to the factory lines. I used some teflon tape on all of the new threads just to be safe. I am willing to bet the other two reducers that your kit came with are just incase you run into the same issue that 50 Deep and I ran into when trying to connect the flex line to the factory line.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
Installed today, dam these things bite. I had to use (2 shims) on the passenger side to get the caliper to clear. I was able to get away with only(1) on the passenger side. However i am now getting like a grinding noise when coming to a stop from the drivers side. I think it is just all the dust built up from braking the pads in.

blackedout06

Established Member
Installed today, dam these things bite. I had to use (2 shims) on the passenger side to get the caliper to clear. I was able to get away with only(1) on the passenger side. However i am now getting like a grinding noise when coming to a stop from the drivers side. I think it is just all the dust built up from braking the pads in.

Did you end up needing to use the reducers?

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
2uf38lv.jpg

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
How did you bleed yours and what fluid are you running?

Mine bite well, but I haven't been able to drive another car with the wilwoods to be sure mine are at their full potential. Also what pads did you run? I haven't gotten any squeaks from mine yet.

I just got my 4 piston rears in the other day and can't wait to put those on to match the front.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
How did you bleed yours and what fluid are you running?

Mine bite well, but I haven't been able to drive another car with the wilwoods to be sure mine are at their full potential. Also what pads did you run? I haven't gotten any squeaks from mine yet.

I just got my 4 piston rears in the other day and can't wait to put those on to match the front.

I used a motive power bleeder with wilwood Hi-Temp 570 dot3 per wilwood Technician.I bought a case of 6 from summit for $50 but only used about 3 for a full flush.I took my pads out and and cleaned them with some brake fluid reinstalled and they are dead silent.I am not sure what wilwood model they are as they came with the kit.They were just gunked up from beding them in about 10 hard stops from 65-0/80-0,lol. Where did you get the rears from. I have been trying to find someone who makes a kit. Wilwood told me they don't offer any rear set up for IRS cobra's. I found Maximum motorsports offer a kit but you cant use your parking brake. Which is no biggie for me but it would just bother me knowing it is not there.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-290-2210?seid=srese1&gclid=CMHQsvfD7rYCFQef4AodkUIA8w

Last edited:

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Thanks man. You want to sell the power bleeder and fluid :-D? By the way which bleeder did you use?

I ordered the MM kit. Going to fab a bracket for a stand alone parking brake caliper. Took like 6 weeks for them to come in since I wanted the red to match the fronts. They are massive though.

Users who are viewing this thread