Wilwood brake calipers

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have a 98 Cobra road racing car.

The class limits the rotor size to 13.1", so the factory Cobra rotors are just about perfect (and I don't want to change them). I was BSing with another guy who has a 95 GT and he runs Cobra rotors, with Wilwood calipers and a mounting bracket that he was able to pick up for cheap used. (I don't remember the brand).

He specifically mentioned that the calipers he runs are basically off the shelf Wilwoods that he can replace for $150 from Jegs or Summit if he messes one up or one fails on him.

Does anyone know where to get a bracket adapter to run the inexpensive Wilwoods? I'm not looking to run the $2000 brake kits with the Wilwood specific rotors and the car is limited to 17s (by 9 or 9.5 but 9.5 doesn't seem to be an option).

Basically looking for other pad options. He did mention he can run a huge pad which lasts him all season, vs the current Trackday pads I'm running, and needed to replace ever 4 days.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.

jman37

Established Member
Interesting. And those work with the stock 96-98 front rotors? I have 18s and would assume there would be no clearance issues. I've always wanted to upgrade to the Cobra R calipers but could never justify the price. I would assume these stop much better than the PBR calipers.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Interesting. And those work with the stock 96-98 front rotors? I have 18s and would assume there would be no clearance issues. I've always wanted to upgrade to the Cobra R calipers but could never justify the price. I would assume these stop much better than the PBR calipers.

Depends on how much you depend on your brakes and push the car to the limit. I personally loved the cobra R brakes on the sn95 and new edge cars.

jman37

Established Member
Depends on how much you depend on your brakes and push the car to the limit. I personally loved the cobra R brakes on the sn95 and new edge cars.
I was just talking as far as price goes, it seems like the Wilwood would be cheaper than the Cobra R kit but I'd be curious if they were comparable or if 1 was better than the other.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I was just talking as far as price goes, it seems like the Wilwood would be cheaper than the Cobra R kit but I'd be curious if they were comparable or if 1 was better than the other.

Edit: nevermind site I was looking at was incorrect.

Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Bracket kit, $380

Ebay seems pretty cheap on calipers, $167x2 = $334

Pads are in the neighborhood of $70-$250 (pad 7420, I need to look into this further but I think that's correct) depending on what you want. Part of the reason for this is the pad is 5mm thicker than the factory pads, from what I gather.

Several companies make pads for these calipers, so you should be able to find what you want. For a mild sport/street pad, I had decent luck with HPS. I would stay away from HP+ regardless of what you intend on doing. The guys in my race group are currently turned onto Rabestos 47s for up front or the Stoptech SR32.

I would advise against a track pad for street driving.

These are designed for Cobra rotors, I think they require a spacer if you are using stock wheels. When I called Revolution, the guy specifically asked me and when I told him I had 1/2" spacers he said it should work then. I can check how they fit on my bondurant wheels when I get them without the spacer, I don't have stock cobra wheels. I have another day left on my current pads and a brand new set so it may be a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread