Will we ever see another Lightning?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I took one out for a test drive. I didn't like it.
It drove rougher/harsher than my current truck at that time and seemed slower as well.

I never got to drive one so i can not compare. But i would assume it would ride rougher as they came with a sport style suspension.

I'll be any amount of money this is the reason why it wasn't successful.

Could be why..the 3.5 EcoBoost was new territory for the performance world at the time.

I was one of those people. I loved that truck actually and it got a lot better after I installed a Livernoise tune and package on it. I would get one again, but only if they offered it in the aluminum body trucks with the 10spd and with the Coyote option. I loved the interior and the single cab configuration. It was just really nice to drive every day without it feeling too big.

It looked like a badass truck. I bet when tuned it was smoking lightenings that had a tune. I think ford gave it a shot and at the time people did not want a new age lightning. It was all about the crew cabs.

All the Tremors I see are 4WD.
If anything the Tremor looks more like a prequel to the Raptor.

Used Ford F-150 FX4-TREMORs for Sale | TrueCar
f 150 tremor specs - Google Search

They came in FX2 aswell. Maybe they made more fx4 versions.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I’d honestly just do my own...there is a guy running around in my neck of the woods with a red 19 F150 5.0 RCSB lowered with a tvs blower...looks clean AF...

It would be alot cheaper to build your own new age lightning. It would be a personal custom truck. Unfortunately it wouldn't hold any added value for resell if it was planned to sell.

I noticed alot on the forum buy a vehicle , mod it for a year or 2 then turn around a sell them.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Local dealer built a 2019 2wd 2 door shortbox with a 5.0 and a whipple. They claimed 775 HP, I asked if that was RWHP, they said no, at the crank, I asked for the dyno sheet and sorry not available., I asked how they knew it was 775HP and they said "it's an estimate. I said, yeah right... It sat in the showroom for months, might still be there because I haven't been back.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Local dealer built a 2019 2wd 2 door shortbox with a 5.0 and a whipple. They claimed 775 HP, I asked if that was RWHP, they said no, at the crank, I asked for the dyno sheet and sorry not available., I asked how they knew it was 775HP and they said "it's an estimate. I said, yeah right... It sat in the showroom for months, might still be there because I haven't been back.

Problem is theres no added value for resale. And the mark up is much more than it cost them to have the work done.

snakecharmer

Established Member
IMO the current F150 is just too big to be a sport truck. The Ranger might work, but I highly doubt Ford would do it, and if they did they'd ruin it by putting an ecogarbage in it instead of a real motor.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Problem is theres no added value for resale. And the mark up is much more than it cost them to have the work done.

I know, I didn't even ask what they were asking for it. I wonder if it's possible someone had it built and then had to back out for some reason? I doubt a dealer would go to that effort withouit purchasing the truck first so they don't get stuck with a white (in this case, red) elephant

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford hasn't come close to making performance SUV to match the SRT Jeep. All when gas is cheap and people are craving SUVs.

I say any new Lightning ain't happening now.

Ram and Chevy haven't bothered making another SRT-10/SS, either.
The Hellcat Ram will be offroad based.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
They were asking ridiculous prices for the Tremors and there wasn't much difference versus a regular EcoBoost F150. The Tremors just had different aesthetics and were the only EcoBoosted short bed regular cabs. Dumbest thing I've seen Ford do in a long time. They should have just sold F150s in that configuration. If they had, I'd have one in my driveway instead of the F150 I bought instead.

Now they've got the 7.3 Godzilla gas V8. That would make a hell of a Lightning! Supposedly those blocks are so well built they're good to 1500 HP in stock form.

They did offer that package as the FX4 and FX2 in the super crew trucks because that is all it was. The Tremor moniker was only because it was a single cab but other than that it was just a regular FX4/2. They had the same interior and everything I believe.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I know, I didn't even ask what they were asking for it. I wonder if it's possible someone had it built and then had to back out for some reason? I doubt a dealer would go to that effort withouit purchasing the truck first so they don't get stuck with a white (in this case, red) elephant

No way was that custom made for a customer. Things like that have to be done upfront. Too much risk for a dealer to do that for a customer with no guarantee. The dealership had it made to make a nice profit.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Lightnings are for **** LOL.

I had high hopes for the Adrenalin to take the Lightning's place then they shitcanned it, relegated to some BS appearance package.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Mentioned in the 1st Minute

I misread what you said. I thought you meant the Gen 3 was built and they decided to 180.
The actual G3 L was pretty much done. At this point it looks like I’ll have to build a new one if I want it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Then Sid makes it seem that way?

I know they had the Gen 3 L concept. Didn't that come out in like 2004? So they spent 4 years trying to get that concept working and then said **** it?

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
The program was far along though that when they scrapped it they already had the wheels starting to come in from the supplier, ford ended up selling them in the Motorsport catalog under Lightning wheels, 6 lug.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
The program was far along though that when they scrapped it they already had the wheels starting to come in from the supplier, ford ended up selling them in the Motorsport catalog under Lightning wheels, 6 lug.

Very cool fact. Any pics of the truck and/or wheels, Dave

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
No, I don’t have any, but I do remember seeing the wheels both in the catalog and in person, a friend of mine bought a set years ago thru the parts department of Gervais Ford for his F150

Users who are viewing this thread