Will resonator delete cause torque loss?

RonaldGTCS

Exhaust wise, my car is completely stock with the exception of GT500 axle backs. I have been toying with the idea of removing my resonators but from a combination of youtube and forum searching, Im beginning to have second thoughts. Originally I thought a resonator was in place to quiet the exhaust down but from what I've read, it appears thats a small part of its job but its mainly there to cut down on rasp/unwanted tones.

My question is will deleting the resonators cause any loss in torque? I've read several instances to where certain axle/cat backs have caused this (on the butt dyno) but I'm not too interested in losing anything down low because that's where this car seems to shine. Also, what kind of volume increase can I expect? I've looked at some vids and really I dont see much of a difference in volume if any unless its WOT and in that case, it seems like it has more of a ragged tone to it.

My goal is not to be the loudest by any means but to give the car a good, clean performance tone. Muffler wise, the GT500s are by far my favorite I've heard (second is Borla S type but that's a little louder than I prefer) and I dont want to mess it up or pay to have the resonators removed then pay again to put them back up. You cant really get away from rasp on this engine with aftermarket systems but the last thing I want is for it to get as raspy as say a roush setup. At times I do wish mine had a little crackle and pop to it while decelerating but alot of those cars dont necessarily sound good in my eyes.

noldevin

Established Member
Resonator deletes and GT500s are a very popular combo, I think you'll be happy with it.
You will not lose any power.

clinton2003

Established Member
best sounding is stock cats, res delete, gt500 rears. enough opening up to make the sound louder, but not obnoxious

EDIT: Actually the best sounding is a twin kit, with turndowns halfway back. 2nd best is the above setup ;)

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I believe deleting the resonators have gained 6 RWHP and no torque will be lost. As long as you have your stock cats in place you will love the sound. If you ever plan to run a off road mid pipe I would leave the resonators in place as the car will be obnoxious with no cats or resonators. There should be some youtube vids of this set up. As mentionend above factory manifolds/cats with no resonators and GT500 mufflers is a perfect combo.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
I believe deleting the resonators have gained 6 RWHP and no torque will be lost. As long as you have your stock cats in place you will love the sound. If you ever plan to run a off road mid pipe I would leave the resonators in place as the car will be obnoxious with no cats or resonators. There should be some youtube vids of this set up. As mentionend above factory manifolds/cats with no resonators and GT500 mufflers is a perfect combo.

+1 on the resonator delete. I believe Shaun from AED did a dyno test a while back for the JPC/LTH/Lethal over axle pipes (no resonators and mandrel bent) vs the stock pipes and there was a 7 HP gain. Removing the resonators from the stock pipes should also gain a few HP. As long as you have the right muffler, the sound shouldn't be too loud or obnoxious.

70monte

Established Member
My 2014 GT has stock cats, resonator deletes with the single tip GT500 mufflers and I did not experience any torque loss that I could tell. Sounds great and my favorite sound for this car.

Users who are viewing this thread