will gt500 calipers fit 03/04 cobra rotors?

pur pony

Established Member
I was wondering, will gt500 brembo calipers for 03/04 13" rotors? will they bolt on?

thanks

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
No. They are taller, wider, and have a mounting flange distance that is different than the 2000 R kit. If you want Brembo's, bend over and pay for the M-2300-X kit.

Personally, I'm planning to go with Baer. They make a real nice 4- and 6-piston caliper that uses a radial, rather than axial mount and costs a whole bunch less. It is too bad that the Cadillac CTS-V Brembo caliper is a bit tall, you can get them from a GM dealer for around $150 each!!! They also have the 130mm mounting flange - but again, bend over when it comes to Ford, and good luck getting any information from Brembo.

It is just too bad that FRPP quit selling the M-2300-B (Focus RS) caliper - same Brembo caliper as the 2000 Cobra R, but in silver and about $600 for both.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
YA the Focus RS caliper was real nice. There was a guy that made a bracket to mount the calipers on his New Edge mustang. Wish he would of sold them.

Teej281

Established Member
No they won't. That's a whole conversion kit with 14" front rotors. Our stock cobra rotors are 13" rotors and won't fit the gt500 calipers. Will the cobra r calipers bolt right up to our current rotors though?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
I already have 18" wheels and plan on moving up to CCW wheels as my next set, and even in 17" they should have clearance enough for big brakes.

Where can you find just the calipers at?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Yes, the 2000 R (M-2300-X) caliper with the 13" rotor will fit under the 17" wheel. For the guys that step up to the 14" kit with the GT500 caliper, then the 18" wheel is necessary.

You can't get just the calipers unfortunately (unless you buy a Bear set, which is real nice - I think they will sell just their 4-piston calipers). There is a M-2300-X kit in the Market though right now though. I bought my calipers from a 2000R owner who upgraded to the 14" kit. After I stripped them and sent them out for a coating, they are exact copies of the former M-2300-B kit that FRPP no longer sells - which is a real bummer - they were a hot item!

Had I not found these, I would have gone to Baer and bought from them - I think you can get the calipers and brackets for about $800!

Something like this:

4261276 MUSTANG BAER BRAKES 13" FRONT TRACK-4 BRAKE KIT 1979-2004

Or even this:

BAER 6 PISTON SILVER BRAKE CALIPER UPGRADE KIT 1994-2004 | CJ Pony Parts

GodStang

Established Member
Holy crap that kit is outrageous. You can buy 14" Brembo brakes for cheaper than that.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The question was: "will gt500 calipers fit 03/04 cobra rotors?"

GT500 14" rotors are obviously larger diameter than Cobra 13" rotors and they are thicker. So no, they don't just bolt on.:nonono:

The Vintage Venom 14" kit is an awesome value. The rotors are fairly cheap to replace and they reject so much more heat than the 13" ones, even the pads last longer. Obviously they also provide a significant improvement in brake torque.(leverage advantage from diameter)

If I knew then, what I know now, I never would have spent the money on my Focus RS 4 piston Brembo calipers.

If you are a "tracker type" you probably already know that for the weight and speed capabilities of a Terminator, our 13" rotors are not able to expel enough heat once you get even semi fast. They crack fairly quickly unless you run NASCAR brake fans in your cooling ducts.(c/o racebroncoII)

2000 Cobra Rs and 03/04 Cobras IMHO should have been built with 14" GT500(Brembo 14") brakes right from the start.

The 13" 4 piston Brembos should have been on the 95 Rs.

If you are not a hard core tracker type the 13" 4 piston Brembos are still an excellent brake package and it does resolve the troublesome pad tapper issue and caliper spread issue from the two piston PBRs, if you are a less than hard core tracker type. ;)

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Holy crap that kit is outrageous. You can buy 14" Brembo brakes for cheaper than that.

Yes, but when you buy the "cheaper" 14" Brembo kit, factor in 18" wheels and tires (unless you already have them), and the cost still is much more. You can still get the Baer 4-piston calipers for about $800 whereas the M-2300-X kit is around $1200 - and both fit under the 17" wheels.

The question was: "will gt500 calipers fit 03/04 cobra rotors?"

GT500 14" rotors are obviously larger diameter than Cobra 13" rotors and they are thicker. So no, they don't just bolt on.:nonono:

The Vintage Venom 14" kit is an awesome value. The rotors are fairly cheap to replace and they reject so much more heat than the 13" ones, even the pads last longer. Obviously they also provide a significant improvement in brake torque.(leverage advantage from diameter)

If I knew then, what I know now, I never would have spent the money on my Focus RS 4 piston Brembo calipers.

If you are a "tracker type" you probably already know that for the weight and speed capabilities of a Terminator, our 13" rotors are not able to expel enough heat once you get even semi fast. They crack fairly quickly unless you run NASCAR brake fans in your cooling ducts.(c/o racebroncoII)

2000 Cobra Rs and 03/04 Cobras IMHO should have been built with 14" GT500(Brembo 14") brakes right from the start.

The 13" 4 piston Brembos should have been on the 95 Rs.

If you are not a hard core tracker type the 13" 4 piston Brembos are still an excellent brake package and it does resolve the troublesome pad tapper issue and caliper spread issue from the two piston PBRs, if you are a less than hard core tracker type. ;)

All that! And the nice thing about that kit is the radial mounting of the calipers. Once again though, you have to spring for 18" wheels and tires, so, damn, this stuff gets expensive!!

For the street and maybe some light track stuff, I'm confident my pseudo-Focus RS Brembo's will do the trick:rockon:

Oh also, I think the Cadillac CTS-V caliper could even mount up on the 14" rotors (they use the same 130mm mounting bolt separation), and you can get those Brembo calipers for $150 EACH from GM. Almost bought a scrap caliper to start mocking it up, but scored my current Brembo's and went with them...

Last edited:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
My buddy has the Venom 14" set up, and let me say, IT IS FREAKING SIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK!!!! Those things are ridiculous!!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
There's that "sick" word again...:shrug:

I guess you mean they are nice, awesome, fantastic, etc., etc.?

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
There's that "sick" word again...:shrug:

I guess you mean they are nice, awesome, fantastic, etc., etc.?

Sorry for the miss use of the english language. The Venom 14" brake kit is the most fabulous brakes I have experienced on a mustang my entire life.:-D

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
We are so cultured here.:rollseyes

"Care for a proper spot of tea?"

images

Users who are viewing this thread