Will ford repaint hoods under warranty?

Steeda1

Established Member
For those of you that did the hood mod and found that you didn't have paint on the under side, did you see if ford woulf do a repaint under warranty?

SVT4ME

Established Member
Good question, checked mine and it's painted but I would think they would for corrision protection. Go to a dealer with a body shop and they'll have experienced painters.

TRBO VNM

our hood is fiberglass, or at least part of it is, so I don't know if you need to worry about corrosion. I found this out when I drilled for the hood shock install.

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Will they repaint it under warranty for flaking? I have several small spots of paint that just flaked off and are gradually getting bigger.

TRBO VNM

people have posted on here that the paint is thin on the outside of the hood and had the flaking problem and they have had they painted under warranty. As far as the under side, I haven't read anything about that yet. You can try it. But then they might question why do you have the cover off.

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
The thing that aggrivates me is that I have rock chips all over my hood. Only, I never heard a rock hit the hood...not once...but suddenly it seems like every time I drive the car I come back and blammo another chip. I'm starting to think it chipping on its own.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by 03SonicSnake
Will they repaint it under warranty for flaking? I have several small spots of paint that just flaked off and are gradually getting bigger.
RE: flaking/sheeting hood paint.... I believe YES they will, there is a know issue of poor adhesion on Mach 1, and 03 cobras.
A good friend of mine(Ford tech) has an 03 Mach, it had a few stone chips that he had touched up.
He went to the car wash, hit it with the power rinse.....
:bash: :nonono:
It was coming off in sheets.... not pretty!!!
He got it painted under warranty....but there was a defect in the gelcoat of the fiberglass which was visible after painting.

He got a new hood!!!.... and paint and it was all covered!
the original vendor of the hoods to ford, had some problems with paint adhesion(they came to the assembly line prepainted or so the story goes)

WARNING>>>>>> Make sure they don't over sand the hood prior to repainting, or you will have to get a new hood too!!!
The gelcoating is a little on the thin side too.

I would recommend you pursue it further, it should be covered.
For those with less dramatic paint loss, but touch up still failed to stem the tide............. hit it with the power wash! It will come sheeting off then!
(It might make you cry though.. send the wife inside first)

Last edited:

rb185afm

Established Member
I had two rock chips and they repainted my hood under warrenty. The paint was bubbleing around the chips. The service manager took a 10 second look and said sure we will paint it.

MaximumSVT

Embrace your fears
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a factory blemish on the driver side fender. The paint turned light orange then back to yellow. Needless to say after the first body shop did a terrible job fixing the paint, the car was taken to my choice and about 80% of the car was repainted under warrenty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread