Will Big Lift Put Strain On Motor/Tranny?

RedDemon91

Established Member
Hey guys, I got a 93 F-150 with a Jasper 302, everything in it is stock except the exhaust system and has about 64k miles on it. The tranny was rebuilt about a year or two ago from the guy I bought it from. At some point next year I'm going to be making her my weekend warrior. I'll be getting a custom 14" lift with 44" Ground Hawgs, so the entire suspension system is going to be redone. Now being this high up in the air I know will create a lot of strain and wind resistance against the truck. Am I going to need to swap in a bigger motor, mod the motor to beef it up a little more, or can I just leave it stock? My buddy said it'll be fine if I leave it stock but that really doesn't sit or sound right to me. Any advice is appreciated :beer:

RedDemon91

Established Member
Yes definitely, I'm not a city slicker nor is my truck lol

Is there any place you would reccomend? I went to Ken's Tuff Trucks and was really impressed with his quality of work and the trucks that came out of there. Then I went to Top Trucks of Central Florida but he won't touch anything that goes higher than 37s.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
heard good things about them. My buddy scott goes to jeepers den and has great luck but they mainly do SUV's and so on.

steeltoe

Established Member
The rolling stock alone stock alone is going to give that 302 some trouble but the 302 is fairly cheap to mod because its used in everything.

RedDemon91

Established Member
heard good things about them. My buddy scott goes to jeepers den and has great luck but they mainly do SUV's and so on.

Hmm ok, I might check them out just for the hell of it.
The rolling stock alone stock alone is going to give that 302 some trouble but the 302 is fairly cheap to mod because its used in everything.

Which mods would you reccomend going with?

RaptprSlayer05

Established Member
i would worry about axles.. 44's are going to destroy that IFS. Your gonna have to do a solid axle swap and get very low gears 5:13's maybe lower. at some point mods to the motor will help but your gonna have the biggest trouble with the IFS

RedDemon91

Established Member
Yeah right now I have a Dana 44 and a Ford 9 inch but Ken wants to swap in Super Duty axles and call it a day with 5:13s. I have 4:10s in right now and it still feels surprisingly sluggish even with the small 35s

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
You need to get rid of that TTB for sure, and i'd say swap the 302 out for a 351 or a 460... the 302 is way to small for a fullsize truck...

Users who are viewing this thread