Will any 8.8, 3.73 gear work on the 93 Cobra?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I see allot of Explorer, F-150 etc gears on ebay and was wondering will the gears work on our 8.8? I dont want the axles just the gears. I know about the exciter rings on the axle forcertain applications. Just want to know if the gears are the same. As long as they're 8.8 and the correct tooth count (28/ 31) it should be ok.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
All 8.8's gears are the same in terms of function. The 28 or 31 spline relates to the axles shafts and differential and are independent of the gears.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Yeah, I knew about the 28/ 31 thing. Just didnt want to assume the gears were the same. Tons of 3.73s out there for way better price than new.

PJM99

Established Member
Can't go wrong with a new Ford kit from summit. Everything you need for $80 for the kit and $160 for the gears. All new, nothing to worry about.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
In general there's nothing wrong with used Ford gears. I've installed countless sets without issue. However, sometimes you'll run across a set that was installed wrong or had some sort of bearing failure in the past which created a poor wear groove and makes it near impossible to set up without making noise. That's a rare occasion though, and I have no problems with running used gears in any of my cars.

The 4.30's in my 4k mile 03 cobra were used.

But, I do agree, it is a good idea to go with new stuff if you have the cash.

And to add to what's been said already regarding your question, yes, any Ford 8.8 ring and pinion will work.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Thanks guys! Sure I'd love to buy brand new stuff but if it has very low miles and was fine to begin with all should go well.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
I remember I put the 3:73's from an Aerostar rear in my 92 GT with no problems at all.

8.8 are 8.8's

I would go new though, xmas is just around the corner.

carguy19

Established Member
Gears are not something you should buy used in my opinion.

Get the motorsport gears, the install kit, and I usually do a trac loc rebuild kit too while IM in there..... heres a tip for you guys....

If you rebuild the traction loc, put all the new shims and clutches into the diff as directed, take one used extra clutch and shim per side and fit it into the diff when you are rebuilding it, so it will have all the new ones and one extra used one each side. Makes the diff lock up way better then stock but still opens up nice around turns without noises of aftemarket diffs.... fixes the need for an auburn or detroit locker at fractions of the price. Its great for street strip cars.

PS- Dont forget friction modifier.

You're welcome guys LOL

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
carguy19 said:
If you rebuild the traction loc, put all the new shims and clutches into the diff as directed, take one used extra clutch and shim per side and fit it into the diff when you are rebuilding it, so it will have all the new ones and one extra used one each side.
Doing this brings the axle shafts in too far and won't allow you to install the center pin. About as much as you can do is add an additional shim per side, and also use an F150 spring.

For what you're saying to work, a lot of people will shave two sides of the pin flat which allows the axles to slide in a bit without effecting the caliper bracket/rotor, then you can still run the additional shim/clutch. Slam an F150 spring in there and it's good.

carguy19

Established Member
In my experiences.... the worn used clutch/shims work fine and the axles went in fine. All my experiences are on fox bodies tho.

Thanks for the heads up though.... good to know in case I have a problem doing one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread