will a bad pcv valve cause your car to smoke?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yes a bad PCV valve will make your car smoke.

The valve guide is basically what the valve goes through in the head to control oil and it acts as a bushing.

Really expensive to fix.

whitevenom99

Established Member
Yea pretty much what Virtual said. The guid is what the valve slided up and down in. Your valve seals is what keeps oil from running down them and going into the combustion chamber.

snake_01

Crazy SVT
Established Member
whitevenom99 said:
Yea pretty much what Virtual said. The guid is what the valve slided up and down in. Your valve seals is what keeps oil from running down them and going into the combustion chamber.

Would the smoke come under acceleration or when you let off the gas with a bad guide?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
guide goes down into the chamber, up through the port, and ends where the head valvetrain begins.

snake_01

Crazy SVT
Established Member
quadcammer said:
guide goes down into the chamber, up through the port, and ends where the head valvetrain begins.

so new heads will not fix it? is that what you saying. and if that is how can it be fixed?

01VNMS4v

T-E-X-A-S!!
Established Member
snake_01 said:
so new heads will not fix it? is that what you saying. and if that is how can it be fixed?

Doesn't matter if you buy 03 used heads, they could have the same problem. The thing to do is have those 03 heads checked before you buy them from the buyer. Better to be safe than sorry.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
Not to hijack the thread, but how does a PCV valve go bad? It just looks like a plastic 90 degree elbow..... i'm noticing some smoke on start up every now and then. and i've done seafoam a couple of times....

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
BlueVenom01 said:
Not to hijack the thread, but how does a PCV valve go bad? It just looks like a plastic 90 degree elbow..... i'm noticing some smoke on start up every now and then. and i've done seafoam a couple of times....

The Cheap spring inside will wear out letting more vapors past the seal.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
The Cheap spring inside will wear out letting more vapors past the seal.

Can I get any brand of PCV valve from say, Autozone, or does it have to be a Ford valve? I've already got the JLT pre-filters on.... Thanks Virtual.. BTW have you had a chance to pull the peg on your speedo for me yet? :poke:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
BlueVenom01 said:
Can I get any brand of PCV valve from say, Autozone, or does it have to be a Ford valve? I've already got the JLT pre-filters on.... Thanks Virtual.. BTW have you had a chance to pull the peg on your speedo for me yet? :poke:

We put a Autozone on my friends 96 and it smoked even worse.

The Ford one fixed it.

I haven't had time. Lemme give you my timeline for the next 2 weeks.

April 19-25th Ireland April 28th move to Ohio.

I've been busy tying stuff up with work and my place.

I'll try to get to it as soon as I can when I get settled in Ohio.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
We put a Autozone on my friends 96 and it smoked even worse.

The Ford one fixed it.

I haven't had time. Lemme give you my timeline for the next 2 weeks.

April 19-25th Ireland April 28th move to Ohio.

I've been busy tying stuff up with work and my place.

I'll try to get to it as soon as I can when I get settled in Ohio.

Looks like I'll be going with the Ford part then....wasn't trying to rush ya - didn't know you had such a busy schedule. Once you get time you can just send me a pic to [email protected]. thanks man!!:beer: Have fun with the move!

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yeah. I woulda done it sooner but the car was then at AAMCO getting the tranny rebuilt.

I'll get you one as soon as I can.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
BlueVenom01 said:

Yeah dont by autozone crap. Buy from the dealer, it may cost more, but you know it will be fixed/work right.

Users who are viewing this thread