Will 17" Bullitts fit my 12' GT?

avexhype

Established Member
I was wondering which 17" wheels (particularly bullitts) that are commonly seen on the new edge Mustangs will fit my 2012 GT/CS? 100% stock brakes and suspension.

Looking into them as an inexpensive option and more reliable/quality wheel set to throw some drag radials on if I see a deal on some OEM takeoffs.

Also, with the offset on the deep dish bullitts that came on the new edges (like the 17x9 and 17x10.5 variants), the wheels stuck OUTWARD mostly on the fender side of the wheel and not INWARD towards the differential so would either of those be an option?

Thanks

AfricanSnowOwl

Established Member
When I first got my 12' I put a pair of 17" 02' GT wheels on the rear which had drag radials mounted on them, to the track. They looked like shit, but fit. The offset is way off from a new edge.
For daily street driving IMO S197s need 19"s or 20"s to look good.

avexhype

Established Member
When I first got my 12' I put a pair of 17" 02' GT wheels on the rear which had drag radials mounted on them, to the track. They looked like shit, but fit. The offset is way off from a new edge.
For daily street driving IMO S197s need 19"s or 20"s to look good.

Do you think I'll be able to throw the deep(er) dished ones on there (like 17x9 or 17x10.5)?

Yeah, these would strickly be for the track. IIRC from my old 2v that I had, the bullitts aren't that heavy either for a stock wheel. They would look like shit but i'd get a decent height for the tire and that should get the job done.

AfricanSnowOwl

Established Member
I ran 17x8s and they sat pretty far out. I'd think that a 9 or 10.5 would only make it better?
I had 275 45 17s on them though and there was plenty of room. Ran some good times with them.

AfricanSnowOwl

Established Member
This is the only pic I could find. Hard to see anything...
image_zpsml1a9e5l.jpg

avexhype

Established Member
Dude!!! That actually looks pretty damn good! Sure the styling doesn't really fit the car, but they seem to sit perfectly flush under the fender, even compared to the stock wheels.

Did you have any suspension mods, relocation mods, were you dropped? If yes to any, do you think they were necessary to put these wheels on?

I'm feeling really good about being able to throw some 17x9's on there now without any modification.

AfricanSnowOwl

Established Member
It's hard to tell from the pic, but they definitely sat out past the fender a little bit.
At that time my only suspension mods were K springs, LCAs, and a panhard bar.

avexhype

Established Member
I see! What kind of tires were on those wheels? I thought 275's would be too wide for a 17x8 wheel... On the old 2v I had 315/35/17 Nitto 555R's on a 9" wheels and there was a slight stretch (some brands like Nitto run small in the width).

Riptide

Established Member
You can run an M&H 275/50/17 M&H racemaster on a 17x8 wheel. Which will fit in the back.

Most 17" rims won't clear the calipers up front. Although there are exceptions to that.

I wouldn't think twice about running a 17" rim on these cars if it would fit. Put a 27-28" tire on it and it looks great. Shame it's hard to find anything smaller than 18" that will fit up front.

avexhype

Established Member
Thanks, Rip. So you don't think oem 17's from a GT in the front will clear the brakes?

Riptide

Established Member
Thanks, Rip. So you don't think oem 17's from a GT in the front will clear the brakes?
I can't say for sure but I doubt it. I bought a set of 17x8 enkei pf01 which are designed for big brakes. The spokes cleared OK but the inside of the wheel did not.

kingcobra323

Established Member
Couple of pics of wheels on car

Posted via Topify on Android

Attachments

• topify_1426304964367.jpg
    topify_1426304964367.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 110
  • topify_1426305009311.jpg
    topify_1426305009311.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 131

wile2k

Established Member
It really is the barrel diameter that you have to watch out for. Pad height determines distance from "spokes" to the caliper and you can get higher pad wheels or run a small spacer (if you plan your offset right to account for it). Barrel diameter which is the distance from the inside of the wheel to the top of the caliper is where it can be tight (and varies by manufacturer, some taper or have a step that causes problems). Mine was so close that sticky weights got wiped off, so we are talking what, 1/8"? I had to have the weights placed further back in the barrel and then it was no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread