Wife blew up the Speed6--got a replacement

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Well a WOT blast at very low RPMs put 3 holes in the block of my 39K mile 2006 Speed6 that I had owned for 5 years. I didn't want to take the time to rebuild and didn't want to spend the cash on a 15 year old car either. She really is a good driver and pulled out to pass a car on a country road without downshifting.

In comes our new ride and I like it. I didn't want to overpay for a used car, so I paid close to MSRP for a new one. Time will tell if it was the right call. New steed for the wifey is a 2021 Mazda 3 PP Hatch in Polymetal Grey with the red leather
IMG_3728 (3).JPG
IMG_3725 - Copy (2).JPG
. You could only get the red interior with the hatch and it was a must for her. The AWD is a must here in WV and I love off the main road a way too. John Deere territory here. 250 hp and 300+ ft lbs of torque should be fun for a while.

In comparison it feel much more upscale as the touch areas are much nice and the driver systems in information are on another level. I see Mazda trying to go up market in this car as it doesnt feel like your traditional Mazda3. We only have 150 miles on it so, I haven't hammered it yet but I think it is going to be quicker than the Speed6 and better on fuel.

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
Curious if the Speed6 was stock. I have an MS3 with that same engine.

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
39k miles and poof? Damn, that sucks.

With the used prices the way they are it still wasn’t worth a new motor and selling?

Good luck on the new one, not a big hatch fan, but I can see the appeal.

andymarkv

Established Member
I'm assuming it was turned up a bit better than stock!

Thanks for this! I was trying to decide if I was going to put a tune on the wifes RS.... I'm thinking, maybe not.(she is also a good driver...but I know she isn't going to want to think about when its OK to go WOT)

Dusten

Established Member
I know the focus st is good at pooping motors when you got wot in 5th or 6th with a big load(read low rpms)

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
This thread is what holds me back from putting a tune on my wife's Fiesta ST.

Far too many times I've seen her roll into it in too tall of a gear.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
It was stock. I had changed the coils out with non-Mazda coils and the cylinder that popped had one of those. It had no performance mods at all.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
39k miles and poof? Damn, that sucks.

With the used prices the way they are it still wasn’t worth a new motor and selling?

Good luck on the new one, not a big hatch fan, but I can see the appeal.
It was not worth it to me.

You could only get the red interior with the hatch and I liked that.

1slo5ohh

Established Member
Yea those old Speeds didn't like that low rpm heavy load. A lot of them had issues with turbo seals too. I had a speed 3, was fun.

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
Well a WOT blast at very low RPMs put 3 holes in the block of my 39K mile 2006 Speed6 that I had owned for 5 years. I didn't want to take the time to rebuild and didn't want to spend the cash on a 15 year old car either. She really is a good driver and pulled out to pass a car on a country road without downshifting.

In comes our new ride and I like it. I didn't want to overpay for a used car, so I paid close to MSRP for a new one. Time will tell if it was the right call. New steed for the wifey is a 2021 Mazda 3 PP Hatch in Polymetal Grey with the red leatherView attachment 1719979View attachment 1719980. You could only get the red interior with the hatch and it was a must for her. The AWD is a must here in WV and I love off the main road a way too. John Deere territory here. 250 hp and 300+ ft lbs of torque should be fun for a while.

In comparison it feel much more upscale as the touch areas are much nice and the driver systems in information are on another level. I see Mazda trying to go up market in this car as it doesnt feel like your traditional Mazda3. We only have 150 miles on it so, I haven't hammered it yet but I think it is going to be quicker than the Speed6 and better on fuel.
When Mazda changed its design language in 2017 (KODO), they revamped every car in their lineup from the inside out. The result as you said was a much more upscale feeling. When I was looking for a daily back in 2018, I test drove bunch of crossovers (Highlander, Tucson, Escape, Rogue, CX-5) and was amazed by Mazda's so much that I ended buying the CX-5 GT. Only complaint so far is the passenger front door panel that rattles some when cranking the BOSE sound system and the hood paint quality. It chips rather easy w/ highway driving (Soul Red).

WVTrakPak

Established Member
When Mazda changed its design language in 2017 (KODO), they revamped every car in their lineup from the inside out. The result as you said was a much more upscale feeling. When I was looking for a daily back in 2018, I test drove bunch of crossovers (Highlander, Tucson, Escape, Rogue, CX-5) and was amazed by Mazda's so much that I ended buying the CX-5 GT. Only complaint so far is the passenger front door panel that rattles some when cranking the BOSE sound system and the hood paint quality. It chips rather easy w/ highway driving (Soul Red).
Our son bought a new Soul Red CX5 last year and we saw a red interior
3 hatch when he picked it up. He loves his and it has been great for them.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea those old Speeds didn't like that low rpm heavy load. A lot of them had issues with turbo seals too. I had a speed 3, was fun.

No engine likes low rpm/high load. That will break a rod in just about anything in no time flat--Especially in FI motors of all brands and flavors.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
This thread is what holds me back from putting a tune on my wife's Fiesta ST.

Far too many times I've seen her roll into it in too tall of a gear.
As someone who beats the absolute hell out of mine on E30 i dont think you will ever have a problem. Have been tuned for quite some time without fail.

The canned tunes from Cobb are excellent and still have all the factory thermal and knock protection enabled. If you want a bit more oomph but want an OE experience try the tunes that Cobb supplies with the Access Port.

Users who are viewing this thread