Wierd Noise coming from tranny..need help please!!

chilo81764

Established Member
There's a wierd noise coming from the tranny. Sound like somethings out of place not really sure what it is. When it's in neutral i can hear it more than when its in gear. And while im driving, 6th gear pops out. I'm not a car wiz but could it be that the clutch is out of place or something? and i know i need some new gears cuz they are kinda grinded. anyone know what it could be? Any help would be appreciated. thanxs

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Can you describe the noise a little more? Does it make a "spinning" noise? In neutral if you push the clutch in, does the noise go away? For the popping out of gear, what shifter are you running and are the stops installed on it?

Jay

chilo81764

Established Member
Its more like a spinning noise... This might sound funny but it sounds like marbles spinning together... And yes when I would step on the clutch the noise would go away. I have the stock shifter on. I used to have a mgw shifter for a while when I first had the car for the first 6000 miles. But I like the stock shifter better.

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Its more like a spinning noise... This might sound funny but it sounds like marbles spinning together... And yes when I would step on the clutch the noise would go away. I have the stock shifter on. I used to have a mgw shifter for a while when I first had the car for the first 6000 miles. But I like the stock shifter better.

That spinning noise is common, it's your throw out bearing coming into contact with the pressure plate. When you push in the pedal its pushing the tob onto the pressure plate fingers which is making it quiet since the clutch is engaging/disengaging. You'll probably go through the tob phases (spinning, chirping, odd howling in reverse/slow take off). If you have a firewall adjuster you may be able to back it off some and get rid of the noise, but ultimately you're going to need to replace the tob and probably the bearing retainer. That would also be a good time to upgrade the clutch and maybe the input shaft if you're planning on doing any racing. Hope this helps.

Jay

exdeath

Established Member
How long have you had the car? Is the sound something new? If you aren't used to it, most performance transmissions do sound like a box of rocks.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
How long have you had the car? Is the sound something new? If you aren't used to it, most performance transmissions do sound like a box of rocks.

Exactly, and ever since I put in my MGW it's been 100x worse. Should have bought CobraBob's gasket :nonono:

chilo81764

Established Member

i've had the car for about 2 years now....it has 35,000 miles now....the noise kinda louder than usual..do you guys know why 6th gear would be popping out?

best of both

Established Member
im suffering from the same problems just the gears arent popping out.... its just really rough shifting in the higher rpm's ...and it seemed to get alot worse right after changing my tranny fluid...almost feels like there isnt enuff fluid in there lol

Users who are viewing this thread