widest tires on 86 mercury capri

86capri

Established Member
wat are the widest tires that i can fit on a 1986 mercury capri without rubbing dont know if u guys could help me but this is only place i tought about

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I apologize for the delay, we switched office buildings this weekend. I do not have any fitment information on an 86 Capri. Are you running 14" or 15" wheels. What size tires are currently on the vehicle? Did you have a particualr size in mind that you wanted to run? Let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

Last edited:

86capri

Established Member
i appreciate the help i have 15's but im going to put in 16 inch ponies i wanted to put 245/50/16 but someone told me they were going to rub i dont think they will but want to make sure and i also want to know whats the widest tires i could actually put on the stock ponies

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
i appreciate the help i have 15's but im going to put in 16 inch ponies i wanted to put 245/50/16 but someone told me they were going to rub i dont think they will but want to make sure and i also want to know whats the widest tires i could actually put on the stock ponies

I'm going to pass this information along to my fitment department. Before I do that, are the 16" Pony wheels that you have 16x7s with a 22mm offset or 44mm offset?

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
i belive that they are 16x7's dont know the offset how do i figure that out

The offset should be stamped somewhere inside the barrel of the wheel. It should say either ET22 or ET44. If you can't see this mark, measure the backspacing. You can do this by running a rule from the backside of the mounting pad to the back edge of the wheel. I can then convert this number into the offset. I apologize for making you jump through hoops on this. I wish we had the fitment listed for your year. I want to make sure we give you accurate information though, so thank you for your help.

Sny714

Established Member
I had no rubbing issues with 245's on ponys on my 89 Notch. That was for the rear. I would maybe run a max of 225 up front just to be safe.

86capri

Established Member
i think the offset is 22 in the inside of the rim it says 16x7x22.4 sorry about taking so long it has been raining for a while

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
i think the offset is 22 in the inside of the rim it says 16x7x22.4 sorry about taking so long it has been raining for a while

No worries at all I just want to make sure we answer your question. That offset should work well for your application. The 245/50-16s are going to be tight. We recommend a max width of 235 for front of your vehicle. You may need to make some minor modifications for the 245s but IMO it should work.

Users who are viewing this thread