Widest tires I can run on my wheels?

TexasGT14

Hey guy, I have a set of 15-18 PP wheels for my 2014 Mustang GT. Quick rundown of current setup.
Fronts: 255/40/19
Rears: 275/40/19

The front wheels are 19x9, and the rear wheels are 19x9.5.

What are the widest tires I can fit on the fronts and backs (staggered) and not have issues? I’m trying to clear some wheel gap. And depending on what all my options are I may consider going to 20.
7589859168_IMG_0080.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nyuk98GT

Established Member
TexasGT14,

Got the same staggered sizes as you. Your tire and wheel fitment looks terrific, imho.

I am thinking about new tires so I did some looking at TireRack.com. They have Specifications for all tires that they sell. The spec tables include recommended rim widths for each tire for the sizes offered by the manufacturer. You probably have seen examples on the road but watch out for bulge and stretch. If you put a wide tire that "should" be on a 10" wide rim on a 9.5" rim then the sidewall will bulge a little and this causes less than ideal performance. Some like bulge, some don't like bulge. Conversely, if you put a skinny tire that should be mounted on a narrow rim on a wider-than-recommended rim, the sidewall is stretch (sidewall looks slanted inwards from rim to tread).

Example time. The Michelin Pilot Sport S at 275/40-19 can fit on a 9" to 11" wide rim but the measuring width is 9.5". The measuring width is the recommended width to produce tire dimensions that the tire designer figures are best for optimum performance. (TireRack has a better definition than that, lol.) For the 9" wide front, the MPSS size is 255/40-19 - measuring width is 9" and the rim width range is 8.5" to 10".

Pick a few tire models you're interested in and then do some study on TireRack. I think it is time well spent to get the best performance and safety for the cost.

You can also search this forum section and you'll find a lot of excellent info, good opinions, and tons of pictures of good looking wheel-tire combinations.

HTH,

Chris

TexasGT14

TexasGT14,

Got the same staggered sizes as you. Your tire and wheel fitment looks terrific, imho.

I am thinking about new tires so I did some looking at TireRack.com. They have Specifications for all tires that they sell. The spec tables include recommended rim widths for each tire for the sizes offered by the manufacturer. You probably have seen examples on the road but watch out for bulge and stretch. If you put a wide tire that "should" be on a 10" wide rim on a 9.5" rim then the sidewall will bulge a little and this causes less than ideal performance. Some like bulge, some don't like bulge. Conversely, if you put a skinny tire that should be mounted on a narrow rim on a wider-than-recommended rim, the sidewall is stretch (sidewall looks slanted inwards from rim to tread).

Example time. The Michelin Pilot Sport S at 275/40-19 can fit on a 9" to 11" wide rim but the measuring width is 9.5". The measuring width is the recommended width to produce tire dimensions that the tire designer figures are best for optimum performance. (TireRack has a better definition than that, lol.) For the 9" wide front, the MPSS size is 255/40-19 - measuring width is 9" and the rim width range is 8.5" to 10".

Pick a few tire models you're interested in and then do some study on TireRack. I think it is time well spent to get the best performance and safety for the cost.

You can also search this forum section and you'll find a lot of excellent info, good opinions, and tons of pictures of good looking wheel-tire combinations.

HTH,

Chris

Glad you like the Fitment. I am starting to lean towards selling the PP wheels and going to 20s. I have more choices of tire and can fill in a little bit of the wheel gap I have. Specifically in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Glad you like the Fitment. I am starting to lean towards selling the PP wheels and going to 20s. I have more choices of tire and can fill in a little bit of the wheel gap I have. Specifically in the front.

Kinda off topic but I have a set of staggered 20' Forgestar CF10s im trying to get rid of and im 45 minutes from you. I have post in the classifieds.

To answer your quetion about tire sizes stick to what the tire manufacturer recommends based on your rim width. You could go up 2-3 sizes but the tire will be bulging on the rim and all of your tread wont make contact with the road.

Evojayfi21

Established Member
275F and 285R. You could fit wider but you really wouldn't get any kind of performance out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread