wider tires?

Turbo04Mystichr

Established Member
i'm still running irs in my cobra with the brace, bushings, and upgraded axles. what can i do to fit more then the stock tire size on? i was told with the irs i can run no wider then a 275. what do i need to do to run a 315 or bigger without changin to a solid axle?

DTSVT03

Why try?
Established Member
maximum motorsports makes a great spacer, but i wouldnt go more than 1/2" spacer, it kinda weakens the stock wheels studs, or I put 315 dr's on my stock cobra wheels, they didnt rub or anything. if you are going with a wider wheel you may need the spacer, depending on the offset of the wheel. I bought the 17"x10.5" cobra wheel and my 315 tires were hitting the IRS bolt. hope this helps you some.....i know i did a lot of rambling just now lol its still early sorry

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
you can run a 315 tire on stock irs(assuming you are lowered a bit). some people get a spacer and some get the flush mount bolt, but mine fit right on w/o needing any of that. like i said, the irs bolt may hit if your car isn't lowered...

KJS1820

Established Member
I have had the 315 nitto 555r on my car for years no problems but I did put on the mm irs bolts! never had any rubbing issues! Other brand 315s may hit from what I have read! I have enough trouble keeping the 315 drag radials planted on the street it mustbe scary to drive a turbo cobra with the 275s!

shhak

Established Member
Get a 10.5" wheel, 1/2" MM spacer, low profile IRS bolts, and slap some 335-35-17 Hoosiers on that bad boy!!! They'll fit!

S5303639.jpg

Last edited:

Turbo04Mystichr

Established Member
i had a set of 275 mickey thompsons on there with all my irs supports and i didn't have trouble hookin up from a dig or at low speeds but at speeds of 110 i could feel the tires lettin loose. but thanks everyone for the help on my ? but another ? i had was i got the upgrades hubs and studs with my axles will that matter with the spacer?

shhak

Established Member
I had just about every upgrade available for my IRS and I didn't have any issues using the spacers. What kind of power where you putting down? Even with the 335 Hoosiers, I could blow them off at will anytime under about 70 mph...

Turbo04Mystichr

Established Member
I had just about every upgrade available for my IRS and I didn't have any issues using the spacers. What kind of power where you putting down? Even with the 335 Hoosiers, I could blow them off at will anytime under about 70 mph...

I made like 610 rwhp on 9psi with a bad vacuum leak, spinning the m/t on the dyno and a messed up blitz electronic boost controller. but i don't know what i'll make when i get retunned. my fuel system was messed up bad by the ppl that did my work i will be running more boost and bigger fuel system and a manual boost controller.

shhak

Established Member
When you get all the bugs worked out, you'll need more than the 275 MT's to get that thing to hook. By the way, what's the rest of your setup consist of?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I would worry more about tire height then width. I went from a 315-35 17" Nitto DR that would spin rolling into 3rd with ease. To 305-40 18" (28" Tall) Nitto DR and now my car hooks in first on the street. If you get a real wide tire with a tiny sidewall its just gonna destroy the tires on the street. 3.31s+28" tall tires on a turbo car= alot of fun!! :)

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
im running 335/35/17 Hoosiers as well but im not running a spacer. i modified my irs a little to make it work.

this pic is with a 1/2 spacer. i have the spacer removed now.
IMG_0709.jpg

Last edited:

Turbo04Mystichr

Established Member
When you get all the bugs worked out, you'll need more than the 275 MT's to get that thing to hook. By the way, what's the rest of your setup consist of?

the setup thats on my car are a set of twin 60's, sullivan intake with port job, sullivan fuel rails with current 60 lb injectors, changin to 72 lb injectors victor jr lower, lightning mass air with mafia, 2 tial 44mm wastegates, tial 50mm bov, 26 spline input harden synchros, 30 spline output (all from D&D Performance, right now running a centerforce DFX clutch but later on be lookin at upgradin that, the exhaust from HP themselves (roswell, NM) custom flanged to MAC 3" cat-back and return style fuels system with sumped tank. had the aeromotive a1000 on there but the shop that did it messed it up all to hell. too much to explain on that one tho. tunned by johnny lightning. this time im around i'm goin to SGS in dillsburg, pa when the time comes. waiting on my tranny to be finished. damn that was a lot to type

Users who are viewing this thread