Wideband sensors

DaveWertz

Established Member
So after not even 2k miles im pretty sure the sensor on my AEM wideband is going out. Intermittent works all the sudden, when not working it sits on lean. Will jump all around to 10 to 17 then work normally yadda yadda ya. Anyhow I have a pretty stupid question. Can i use my old O2 sensors to replace this? Not trying to drop 50-100 every damn 2k miles or less for a new sensor...

Sent from my LM-Q620 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
stock sensors in the car are narrow band, not wideband.

Have you checked the wiring or done another free air calibration?

DaveWertz

Established Member
I have not. It has power and worked fine for about 5 miles. Shutoff to refuel, started back down the road and it acted up. I was thinking maybe moisture since its been sitting for about a month and not started all but to back out of the garage.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have not. It has power and worked fine for about 5 miles. Shutoff to refuel, started back down the road and it acted up. I was thinking maybe moisture since its been sitting for about a month and not started all but to back out of the garage.

if the sensor is positioned correctly (9 - 3 clockwise) that shouldnt hurt it. Mine is run and not up to operating temp fairly often over several years. Id re-check the connections personally then follow the recal procedure

DaveWertz

Established Member
Everything in the fuse panel looks good. Im driving to ford nationals now so won't be able to check the actual sensor connection until i get back. When i start it up it reads for about 10 seconds then goes to 10 then straight to lines.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I’d check the ground wires on the controller first. Sensors usually go bad like that. My cats sits for months at a time and never had an issue from moisture.

DaveWertz

Established Member
So in stumped. The ground at the fuse panel is good, hot is good. During my 2hr drive home it would power up like normal on start, read full rich thrn jump to full lean, then read 3 dashes. Every once in awhile it would work for a few seconds. I'm going to pull the sensor out and try the brake cleaner in rag trick. Not sure what else I can check.

DaveWertz

Established Member
So I did a test with a gas covered rag. I pulled the sensor out and left it hang. It read full lean with 3 dashes. Placed tue sensor in the rag and it slowly went rich. I tried to repeat it one more time and ecen placed in the rag it still read full lean, 3 dashes. The sensor heated up like its suppose to. Is the a tell tail sign on a bad sensor? All wiring looks good to me. Not much to it other than the hot amd ground going to the fuse box......

Serfma

Established Member
Not to hijack but since I plan on installing a wideband down the road I wanted to ask where people normally place theirs? Is it typically only 1 wideband and on only 1 bank?

DaveWertz

Established Member
Got my new bosch sensor in. I assume by some research you do not need to calibrate them. So I got everything buttoned back up and turned ignition on, stayed on 14.7 then went lean. So all is good there. Fired it up and it seemed to read ok. Now with still being in high idle and when I blipped the throttle the gauge went to I believe 10.2. Was reading about 13-14 ish at high idle. Seem normal? Im starting to think my old sensor may have not been very accurate, as I don't ever remember hitting 10 blipping the throttle on high idle. Not that I do that often. Just had to see what was going on.... I haven't taken it on a road check yet but will tomorrow hopefully.

robvas

Established Member
Not to hijack but since I plan on installing a wideband down the road I wanted to ask where people normally place theirs? Is it typically only 1 wideband and on only 1 bank?

stuck mine in the location for the factory rear O2 sensor on the driver side

Users who are viewing this thread