wideband o2 sensor

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
how many do you think is the minimum needed to tune and where is the optimal locations to place them? (header, mid pipe, etc):shrug:

01bluesnake

Established Member
On a N/A car, 1 on the driver 18" downstream from the head is ideal, 1 on the passenger side if you have spare cash or want to have a better idea of how bank to bank afr's are. On a turbo car, a lot of people run them after the turbo for a combined afr reading, which is fine. I would still prefer a twin setup 18" off the head/manifolds for more accurate bank to bank tuning, and little more accurate afr but if the sensor was to break, will send it through the exhaust side possibly damaging the wheel. The farther down away from the engine you go, the more the numbers can be slightly off and delayed.

KingBlack

Established Member
good info.

its a 122ci 4 cyl, single pipe exhaust. its the jba full race header. n/a so i guess one is good

01bluesnake

Established Member
The duals are usually for split bank cars like V6- and up or H4 motors where you may see a side to side difference. i ran a single after turbo in my honda, but ran a very short ram horn style manifold, so after turbo worked better in that application.

Also forgot to say, place the wideband on the #1 cylinder bank if only running one. I used my mustang as reference in my first post.

Last edited:

KingBlack

Established Member
is this info logged to the ford ecu and if so can it be pulled from there or do i need to go out and buy an 02 device?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
is this info logged to the ford ecu and if so can it be pulled from there or do i need to go out and buy an 02 device?
Most Fords use SCT's LiveLink program to Datalog. It is free software that allows you to hook up a handheld tuner device (like an Xcal 3) to the OBD2 port on the car and data cable (USB printer cable) to a laptop.

There are other dataloggers out there, this is just one example.

KingBlack

Established Member
i looked for that livelink software and cant find it. anyone minds sending me a copy via email or a link that will let me download it?

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
When you get the O2 bung welded on, make sure that the position of the bung is around the 2 o'clock position. That way if there is any heavy moisture that collects on the sensor, it will not puddle on it and potentially shorten the life of the sensor.

KingBlack

Established Member
When you get the O2 bung welded on, make sure that the position of the bung is around the 2 o'clock position. That way if there is any heavy moisture that collects on the sensor, it will not puddle on it and potentially shorten the life of the sensor.

this is great, wise advice. thanks.

FORD4U

Established Member
i dont mean to hijack the this but is there a perfered brand of wideband to use, i have a autometer in my L but i have not tuned the truck yet myself, i also have a 03 cobra i just bought and will be adding a wideband to it, is there a "best" wideband and i also look to data log, any info is greatly needed.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think people are going to say whatever they're using is the best. Personally I run a PLX and overall I'm happy with it. I went with it mostly for the price. I have a buddy that runs an Autometer, but he's never datalogged with it.

99cobra302

Established Member
anyone have any experience with the autometer analog widebands? like the 4970 or 6170 for example?

a good friend of mine has the AEM analog wideband in his MR2 and i was just wondering if the autometer ones are just as good? i already have a few cobalt gauges so i want a wideband, but it would be nice if it matched the rest of my gauges

UnorthodoxCreat

Established Member
anyone have any experience with the autometer analog widebands? like the 4970 or 6170 for example?

I'm not using those models but I'm using the Autometer's Sport Comp digital gauge. I think the digital models are easier to read but if you have to run one of those to match your gauges then I'd do it. That's why I'm running the Sport Comp, it matches all my other gauges. I run my gauge with Megasquirt on my turbo Probe GT and it's been flawless. It datalogs fine with Megasquirt.

Users who are viewing this thread