Wideband install after cat?

mustangtw

Established Member
I just got an aem wideband and want to go ahead and install it soon. Can I take the rear 02 sensor that is in the cat out and put it there? I know the readings will be off, but by how much? If it's only a tenth or so I can compensate for that. I see some dyno tuners tune with a tailpipe sniffer, so that's why I want to know how accurate the reading will be. Thanks.

bull3441

Established Member
Pre cat or don't bother. An exhaust shop will charge maybe $30-40 to weld a bung in.

mustangtw

Established Member
Pre cat or don't bother. An exhaust shop will charge maybe $30-40 to weld a bung in.

There is no room to weld a bung in pre cat on my gt500, the exhaust pipe would need to be removed from the car. I'm not trying to go through all that trouble if its only going to be a tenth difference in accuracy. If it's going to be off by more than that then it may be worth it. Has anyone tested the difference in wideband readings pre and post cat and care to share their results?

bull3441

Established Member
Google it, plenty of info why not to go post cat. What exhaust do you have? There's plenty of room on the stock X-pipe. I did as many others have.

mustangtw

Established Member
Google it, plenty of info why not to go post cat. What exhaust do you have? There's plenty of room on the stock X-pipe. I did as many others have.

I have the stock exhaust. From looking up under the car it looked too tight to get a welder up in front of the cats. Can it be done pre cat with the exhaust on the car or will it need to be removed? I did some research already on the pre/post cat locations and it seems for WOT tuning and air/fuel there is not much difference. It's only at part throttle and idle when the cats are doing their thing and can skew the reading from the wideband.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You're right, the pipes need to come down/off in order to add a bung prior to the cat. I added one to my '09 and that is exactly what I had to do.

Users who are viewing this thread