wideband for 93/e85

termcobra281

Established Member
hey so I was thinking since I plan a 93/e85 tune what wideband should I use ? I have a aem wideband for 93 octane gas right now so would I need to switch it out to something else? thanks again guys for helping..

blubyu87gt

Established Member
Does the current wideband show Lambda value? If so just use that. It will make things easier when switching blends and cheaper than changing hardware.

Otherwise I use the Autometer GS and it works well. You can define what AFR translates to stoich if you want to keep using AFR for tuning for some odd reason.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
You don't need a new wideband if you already have one. The sensor can't tell what fuel is being burned. You just need to know what A/F is your target in a Gasoline scale and you will be fine.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You don't need a new wideband if you already have one. The sensor can't tell what fuel is being burned. You just need to know what A/F is your target in a Gasoline scale and you will be fine.

Isn't the ideal A/F for E85 somewhere in the 9's at WOT?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Ok. I think I misunderstood it. It sounds like even with E85 it'll show 11.5ish on the wideband if it's set up for gas.

All gauges read in lambda 1.0 being stoich then multiply by a fuel scalar. So if you dont change the fuel multiplier it'll still display gas values even on e85. That's why most people who tune and myself have it just display in lambda. That way you're just using the raw data and dont have to worry about what's in the tank (AFR wise obviously matters in other areas).

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
All gauges read in lambda 1.0 being stoich then multiply by a fuel scalar. So if you dont change the fuel multiplier it'll still display gas values even on e85. That's why most people who tune and myself have it just display in lambda. That way you're just using the raw data and dont have to worry about what's in the tank (AFR wise obviously matters in other areas).
I think I would have to get a different gauge to be able to show Lambda. I have a PLX module and an Aeroforce gauge for the display.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Widebands are based on Lambda and multiply by a number to display A/F.

If your wideband is set up for gasoline, Or say 14.7 stoich, then you multiply the target lambda accordingly. For example, if your target A/F on gasoline is 11.466 then your lambda is .78. Gasoline stoich is 14.7* .78 = 11.466

Stoich for E85 is 9.85 so if you want to multiply by the same .78 lamda, your A/F would be 7.683 respectively @ WOT. But since most gauges are set to multiply in a gasoline scale the A/F will still read 11.466

Make sense?

termcobra281

Established Member
That's nice to know, I will be running a lean module I just bought so that should do the trick regardless lol

Users who are viewing this thread