Why would anyone sell the original parts off their car??

Would you buy a 2013/2014 Shelby that did not come with its original parts?

• Absolutely not, I want an all original car and I promise not to sell its parts later on!

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • I want an all original car so I can sell its parts to pay for it or some mods!

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I'd be okay with only minor changes such as different wheels, axel backs, or CAI.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Sign me up on a 60 month loan on one that no longer has the TVS supercharger or other major parts!!

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Heck yeah!! I don't even care if the dang car has the 5.8L engine or its cobra emblems anymore!!!

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
I do own a sn-95 svt cobra 1998.

I will say this. I kept all my stock parts over the years. well after 14 years of drag racing my car I'm putting it back as a driver. The moral of the story is enjoy the car and have fun with it. There is always going to be something bigger badder and faster coming in the the next 10 years.

My father was a corvette restorer so I can understand where this guy is coming from but times have changed this is not 1960 no more. Technology will march on. All those old corvette guys went out and bought new corvettes. Just my 2 cents

I have a bra for a 98 cobra and an Hpipe. Lol, ugh!

Cameron57

Established Member
My old Shelby I saved all the original parts and it's new owner didn't want them. Maybe some have sold the car and are stuck with all the original parts.

USV8PWR

Established Member
I do own a sn-95 svt cobra 1998.

I will say this. I kept all my stock parts over the years. well after 14 years of drag racing my car I'm putting it back as a driver. The moral of the story is enjoy the car and have fun with it. There is always going to be something bigger badder and faster coming in the the next 10 years.

My father was a corvette restorer so I can understand where this guy is coming from but times have changed this is not 1960 no more. Technology will march on. All those old corvette guys went out and bought new corvettes. Just my 2 cents

What does 1960 have to do with anything? When restoring any car to its orginal specs, the original parts come in very handy. Techology moving on had little effect on the values of the 60's cars. What did have an effect was that generation grew up, had retirement money to spend and they started searching for the car they used to own or dreamed of owing when they were a kid. However, 20, 30, 40 years down the line many of the 60's cars were wrecked, extremely modified, sold overseas making the available supply small. That's no different than what will happen with today's vehicles. History tends to repeat itself.

Would I buy a modified car... NO.
Would I sell minor parts from a car I modified... YES

I'll sell my catback and that's about it from this car. But I have the manifolds, stock Hpipes, mufflers, gears, etc. from a few different cobras from my past still sitting around that I never put back on the car and the buyer never asked for. By the way... anyone need barely used (2k miles) stock parts to a 2001 Cobra??? LOL

Okay, you say that you would NOT buy a modified car, but then you would definitely sell minor parts from a car you modified? If that's true, thank you Sir! If we can just get enough folks to think like you, the remaining cars with their original parts will quickly rise in value! LOL!! :beer:

My old Shelby I saved all the original parts and it's new owner didn't want them. Maybe some have sold the car and are stuck with all the original parts.

I'd say it is very safe to say Cameron that, based on the above alone, you managed to sell off your old Shelby to someone who is 1) a rare bird and 2) will not take care of it at the level that you did Sir; going through the trouble and care of retaining the original parts and all. This is how come just 20 to 25 years later (sometimes much less) you start to see cars sitting in fields that were once prized by their original or second owner. As the vehicles change hands the majority of folks care more about a quick sell then about what will happen to their car. Although nothing is every for sure, I made sure to sell my last car (a 08 Vette) to an owner in Wisconsin who is also taking great care of it, and although has made some mods to it has kept the original parts. If we can get enough folks to sell their nice 13/14 cars to new owners who also don't care about having the original parts for whatever reason, the remaining cars with their original parts will quickly dwindle down! :lol1: :rockon:

5.0 guy

Established Member
I did a check on my 88 GT vert a few years back and it had 16 owners prior to me, you can see where performance parts have been installed and then removed over the years. Fortunately it was a Pheonix car most of its life so it's rust free, when I bought it 14 years ago there were still tons of 5.0's on the road now I don't see that many anymore. Wish I had the original parts for that car that are missing but it's way to modified now.

Users who are viewing this thread