Why would anyone sell the original parts off their car??

Would you buy a 2013/2014 Shelby that did not come with its original parts?

• Absolutely not, I want an all original car and I promise not to sell its parts later on!

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • I want an all original car so I can sell its parts to pay for it or some mods!

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I'd be okay with only minor changes such as different wheels, axel backs, or CAI.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Sign me up on a 60 month loan on one that no longer has the TVS supercharger or other major parts!!

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Heck yeah!! I don't even care if the dang car has the 5.8L engine or its cobra emblems anymore!!!

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
35 people out of probably 8000 people (that actually have the car) have voted.

Now you'll have to wait 4 years to see who really cares when they start trading and selling for new.

So lets look at a real world example:
...Tell you right now. 90% of the people shopping for 2010 GT500s right now could give two shits if it has an aftermarket intake, exhaust, or shifter, and if the stock parts are available or not. 99.8% of people could give two shits about if someone kept the oil filter or wiper blades.

C'mon man, you can't seriously believe some of the stuff you're saying

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
+100,000,000.......this guy cracks me up with his "investment" threads......I keep thinking he can't be serious......but more and more I'm thinking he is....lol....

USV8PWR

Established Member
+100,000,000.......this guy cracks me up with his "investment" threads......I keep thinking he can't be serious......but more and more I'm thinking he is....lol....

This isn't an investment thread. I'm just wondering why anyone would sell their original parts?

But I am very serious as far as my other thread goes regarding future values. I feel these cars have the potential to rise in value, you obviously don't. Feel free to challenge me on it and why you think they will depreciate just as fast as the 07's.

Sdsaathoff

Established Member
I have the opposite problem as most on this thread. I keep buying up original take off parts for cheap on eBay. The guy that I purchased my 66 Shelby from made a living his whole life buying 60's Mustang parts and selling them years later for way more than he paid for them. This actually is/was his retirement money. That isn't necessarily my intention, but I sold my 03 Mach 1 to my brother about 6 years ago. I still see the car regularly and it is starting to show its age. Most 04 and earlier cars that I see at shows are looking really worn now. I remember when I had the car, 03 Mach 1 wheels were $125 each on eBay. Now they are impossible to find NOS. So I purchased a few things that I felt will wear because if I have the car 10-20-30 years, I want to replace the wearable parts with factory originals because they are always better than repros.

This is a list of what I purchased:

$100 - 13/14 front air dam NOS
$350 - 13/14 entire floor console (new takeoff from wrecked car) included shifter, ball, leather e brake and shifter boot, ambient lights, all wiring, and all trim. (Repros for classics and more modern cars are $1,000 just for the base console, not including trim pieces...)
$2,500 - complete set of new takeoff wheels and tires. The ones that I have are in perfect condition and have the tire sensors, center cars, etc... (Did you know our tires cost $500 each? This is almost the cost of a set of tires installed with tax....)
$900 each - two sets of 13/14 recaro front and back leather in new condition ( have you ever priced custom leather seats? I doubt someone will bulk make these on the cheap for years to come... With the leather, suede, stitching, etc...)
$600 - third set of leathers. (I felt nuts on this one. I was on eBay at 2 AM, don't do that, and I saw a guy with a set for $800 obo. I sent him an offer of $600 and he accepted.)
$80 - Set of NOS floor mats.
$0 - I left my car cover in a box and don't use it. My car sits in my garage. I may purchase an aftermarket cover since the factory ones are crap.

The key with all of this is how you store it. My leathers are prepped, wrapped, and sealed. They are in boxes stored in a closet in my spare bedroom at the house. The center console is in a box sealed. The wheels are stacked with some of those workout mat cushions between each one. These are the parts that I notice wear the most. I want my car to look/feel new as long as I can.

I have problems...I know that...now if only I could find a new steering wheel NOS on the cheap.....mmwwwuuahhhhhahaha!!!

USV8PWR

Established Member
The only things I haven't kept are my stock wheels and blower. Easy enough to get if you want to return to stock and the money I got for them were a nice offset on the price of the new wheels and blower.

TQRQJNKY, the reply I posted the other day vanished with the server issues. Anyway, I was wondering if you had noticed any serial number or other ID numbers anywhere on the factory supercharger you removed that might possibly help associate that particular supercharger with an engine? Those, and the OEM wheels are abundant now...but give it a few years and they will be scarce. Sorta like the 03/04 front splitters and how the OEM ones have tripled in price. Except wheels and factory superchargers are a much more expensive part.

Congrats on the build btw! I've been following it and you are making some serious power with that thing. Let us know on here if you ever get it to the track.

This is a list of what I purchased:

$600 - third set of leathers. (I felt nuts on this one. I was on eBay at 2 AM, don't do that, and I saw a guy with a set for $800 obo. I sent him an offer of $600 and he accepted.)

The key with all of this is how you store it. My leathers are prepped, wrapped, and sealed. They are in boxes stored in a closet in my spare bedroom at the house. The center console is in a box sealed. The wheels are stacked with some of those workout mat cushions between each one. These are the parts that I notice wear the most. I want my car to look/feel new as long as I can.

I have problems...I know that...now if only I could find a new steering wheel NOS on the cheap.....mmwwwuuahhhhhahaha!!!

I haven't gone to that extreme, but you are correct about OEM parts quickly becoming scarce. I remember having to pay a pretty penny for parts such as floor mats and seat covers on a 89 TTA I had a few years ago. And as said above I've seen things as basic as the front air damn on the 03/04 cars double in price over the years.

And that's a great idea about seat covers. Especially as I have the white striped Recaros.

This.

Why are there so many threads on re-sell value lately?

Maybe because the production of these cars is about to end in a couple weeks and they only built just over 10K of the baddest factory Mustang ever built?? If Chris is correct that very few are concerned with resale value and/or retaining their original parts to potentially increase their resale value, and thus treat their cars accordingly, the few examples that do remain will quickly rise in value.

It is simple supply and demand folks, argue all you want! The supply is rather small (simply looking at past similar Ford Mustang models by comparison) and the demand for the car is incredibly large as its the MOST POWERFUL factory Mustang ever built.

dom418

Established Member
USV8PWR, Give it up man. You beat to death these ridiculous threads you start. We get it, your SERIOUSLY in love with your car. Are you a politician? Because you should be with the way you continuously preach about the 13'. As far as challenging you and why you are wrong...many have stated their points, but you are set in your thoughts. Chris said it perfect and you continue with your bs, unreal.

Go in the garage, wrap your car in bubble wrap and sell it for $1 million in 15 years, then prove us all wrong. Until then, all you continue to do is make assumptions. It's getting quite old.

As for buying NOS parts, I think there will be a market for them but not for another 15-20 years. They have to become obsolete first, then people will be looking for them as their Shelby's age. Example is anything NOS from a 93 cobra, or Terminator seats. Once people start restoring, there will be a market for this stuff.

Last edited:

TORQJNKY

TQRQJNKY, the reply I posted the other day vanished with the server issues. Anyway, I was wondering if you had noticed any serial number or other ID numbers anywhere on the factory supercharger you removed that might possibly help associate that particular supercharger with an engine? Those, and the OEM wheels are abundant now...but give it a few years and they will be scarce. Sorta like the 03/04 front splitters and how the OEM ones have tripled in price. Except wheels and factory superchargers are a much more expensive part.

Congrats on the build btw! I've been following it and you are making some serious power with that thing. Let us know on here if you ever get it to the track.

Thanks and will do. My car may never see track time, but we'll see. Not sure about a serial number on the Blower or Wheels that would associate them with a particular VIN#.

5.0 guy

Established Member
USV8PWR, Give it up man. You beat to death these ridiculous threads you start. We get it, your SERIOUSLY in love with your car. Are you a politician? Because you should be with the way you continuously preach about the 13'. As far as challenging you and why you are wrong...many have stated their points, but you are set in your thoughts. Chris said it perfect and you continue with your bs, unreal.

Go in the garage, wrap your car in bubble wrap and sell it for $1 million in 15 years, then prove us all wrong. Until then, all you continue to do is make assumptions. It's getting quite old.

As for buying NOS parts, I think there will be a market for them but not for another 15-20 years. They have to become obsolete first, then people will be looking for them as their Shelby's age. Example is anything NOS from a 93 cobra, or Terminator seats. Once people start restoring, there will be a market for this stuff.

He can start what ever thread he wishes, he has made many good points and many people who actually own a 13 have posted on them. If you don't like reading his threads perhaps stay on the terminator forums. If everyone agreed with his statements it would make the thread borrowed g but seems to pull out some pretty good opinions from members. I have an 08 sitting in storage that I haven't even changed the oil in yet so I guess I have the original oil if you would like a glass!

evil eye

Established Member
I don't plan on saving the original disposable parts (filters, wiper blades) or buying NOS spare parts, but I see why people would do that for down the line maintenance. I also don't plan on modding mine at all, and even if I did, it would be something easily reversible (like wheels) and I would keep the original pats for sure. When I was looking for my Shelby I didn't consider any that were modded in any way, so I just settled on a new one.

Husky44

Established Member
OK, first, the poll asks a different question than the title.

Second, the poll questions here are skewed all to hell; do you write for a political party?

For a simple answer to your question in the title: For those individuals who decide to dispose of OEM parts they remove, the opportunity cost of retaining removed original parts exceeds the opportunity cost of disposing of those parts. Obviously, for you, that is not the case. That does not make it absurd. It just means others have different priorities.

Last edited:

Ba_SVT

Established Member
What's the take on keeping factory tires? I figure when they come off, I've already start an irreversible chain of events and don't want to take up the space.

USV8PWR

Established Member

Second, the poll questions here are skewed all to hell; do you write for a political party?

For a simple answer to your question in the title: For those individuals who decide to dispose of OEM parts they remove, the opportunity cost of retaining removed original parts exceeds the opportunity cost of disposing of those parts. Obviously, for you, that is not the case. That does not make it absurd. It just means others have different priorities.

The poll is pretty straightforward. But I could see where it might be difficult for you. :poke:

What's the take on keeping factory tires? I figure when they come off, I've already start an irreversible chain of events and don't want to take up the space.

No one keeps the factory tires. Well I say no one. I kept my original tires on the factory wheels and put them aside in the garage. I plan to check them once or so a year, add air, and put some rubber protectant on the outsides.

But to answer you question, there is nothing wrong with letting go of the tires. I just want my car to retain all of its original equipment, it possible. :beer:

5.0 guy

Established Member

You are very correct sir, we should all fly to Alabama and burn this guy at the stake, how dare he love his car and want to save the original parts that's just terrible! Polititions change their opinions all the time and he is clearly sticking to his. It can't hurt to save OEM parts especially if the owner is looking at their car as a collectable and not just a D&D ( both by the way are fine with me) I personally like the collectability side of the cars but also drive them when I can. It's actually nice to read a thread that is not the fifth thread of my rear end whines or the tires suck in the cold, I think some of us are being a little harsh

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Some people might keep what are considered "major parts" like suspension bits and engine stuff (TVS for ex.).

Others might want to sell them to get upgraded stuff...................their car they can do what they want with it. If for some reason down the road the car is worth some coin but isn't original it may or may not hurt them in the resale dept. it's up to the owner if he/she are willing to take the gamble.

As for me I've kept everything I've changed and the car can be put back to totally stock if desired, some things however for me aren't worth keeping. I'm not too concerned that I might change up the stock brake lines for SS lines or the clutch line also. For me those parts are changed and will stay on the car no reason for me to keep the factory stuff.

Sorry for the thread jack, but has anyone here changed out your stock shifter for a Barton or MGW??? I am interested in getting another stock shifter for '13/14 GT500. Must be low usage and in great condition. Looking for one in a few months (not right now)....................PM me if you have one and want to sell.

Tony

edit:

"I want an all original car so I can sell its parts to pay for it or some mods!" This phrase for the second choice is hilarious!!!! If you bought this car but have to sell its parts to pay for it you shouldn't have bought the car!!!!! Maybe you meant to say "I want an all original car so I can sell its parts to pay for some mods!" That sounds better.

Last edited:

SVT CAMR

Established Member
I do own a sn-95 svt cobra 1998.

I will say this. I kept all my stock parts over the years. well after 14 years of drag racing my car I'm putting it back as a driver. The moral of the story is enjoy the car and have fun with it. There is always going to be something bigger badder and faster coming in the the next 10 years.

My father was a corvette restorer so I can understand where this guy is coming from but times have changed this is not 1960 no more. Technology will march on. All those old corvette guys went out and bought new corvettes. Just my 2 cents

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
Would I buy a modified car... NO.
Would I sell minor parts from a car I modified... YES

I'll sell my catback and that's about it from this car. But I have the manifolds, stock Hpipes, mufflers, gears, etc. from a few different cobras from my past still sitting around that I never put back on the car and the buyer never asked for. By the way... anyone need barely used (2k miles) stock parts to a 2001 Cobra??? LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread