why turbo?

jcveron

Established Member
can someone please tell me the advantage of a turbo kit instead of a whipple/kenne bell? i have a stock 04 cobra and am wanting to upgrade but i want the neck jerking power if i can have it. not really wanting to be able to go 200 mph. but snap someones neck ya know? please help thanks guys

clone93gt

Established Member
efficiency and control.

For me turbos with the right setup will net you more hp at the same psi. As well you can set it up with a AMS-500 or 1000 and make on the spot boost changes to go from 10 psi grocery getter to 15+ crap your underbritches in a flip of a switch. Hell you can change your boost setting in the middle of a run with the scramble feature

jumperjack

Established Member
Apples to oranges. From the description of what you want go TS. I have had a ported Eaton, KB 2.6H and KB 2.8H and am in the process of going turbo now. I happen to like the idea of no parasitic loss to spin the turbo and changing boost at the flip of a switch. With exact same engine you will always have to run higher boost with a TS to equal the turbo's performance. It just depends on what you want and $$$. It is definitely easier to switch blowers than to go turbo though.

exdeath

Established Member
Don't think a turbo can snap your neck? Try a vertical climb from 400 HP to 900 HP in the span of 500 RPM.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Not to be a jerk, but try doing some searches and you will find alot of information...main benefit of a turbo is that it's not a vampire leach like a SC is, but it will also cost you more money..but to me, it's worth it.

jcveron

Established Member
04silverserpent...im not an idiot. I know the technical benefits of a turbo as far as its not belt driven so that it does not take power to make power, i am asking peoples opinion on the two.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
I never said you were an idiot, I just said to search the forums as this question has been asked many times in the past. It's all a matter of personal preference in my opinion..your going to get people who are loyal to both. I will say that the sensation you get from the hit on a turbo is nothing like SC...listening to the turbo spool up is music to the ears.

CobraMac

Established Member
Judging by this thread and the other, no offense, but it seems like you have NO clue what you want to do. 5.4 with a KBLC...now turbo? What is the price range you are looking to spend in...it will definitely not be cheap going turbo from a eaton only car with no fuel upgrades etc. Is there a specific reason you want that much power? Drag racing, etc? That info will help to give advice on what you should do as well.

jcveron

Established Member
Cobramac - if you notice, i started this thread mid april. I was just curious as to why some preferred turbo vs superchargers. I know exactly what i am doing. Blow by racing in fl is going to build me a built motor with kb 2.8lc, e85 setup. Going for 8-900 hp on e85. Mid 700s on street tune. I was about to spend alot of money when i first got on the site and was simply wondering what peoples opinion was on this

greengt88

Established Member
Def. Less cost with the TS. U will need a n/a intake, the turbo kit, a fuel sys. And probably a k-member and the cost of install. Just depends what u want to spend and what ur power goal is. U may also want to use an automatic trans. Generally anything above 600rw is gonna be worthless in a street driven stick car.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
not with a manual valve body. Juiced46 on here has a reverse mvb on his turbo setup and it shed light for me on actually considering an auto down the road...check out his latest in car video he just posted on here!

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Auto with a manual valve body is 100% the way to go for a fun turbo street car. All the benefits of an auto while retaining the fun of driving a stick. You can't beat it.

blowngt

Established Member
Have you driven an Auto car with a manual VB?

I laugh everytime someone says the 'fun factor' is gone once you go with an auto.

Like everyone above has already said, go for a ride and you'll wonder why you waited so long.

I actually went from a manual vb to a fully auto valve body and bauminator controller. I've found this way you can have the best of both worlds. You can either let it shift on it's own, or with the right program shift as you please.

Either way, you can't go wrong........

Users who are viewing this thread