Why so many low mile Cobras out there?

1996cobraconvertible

Established Member
I bought my 1996 Cobra with around 125k on it. It has about 127k on it. I have had it for about five years and it was what I could afford at the time. The car is solid. Completely dry underneath and so far no major issues. A ride on The weekends for only a few miles is all I drive it.

When I look at Cobras around the same year for sale a lot of Cobras have considerably less miles. Are people not driving them?

Thanks,

Dean

Tillerman77

Established Member
I bought my 1996 Cobra with around 125k on it. It has about 127k on it. I have had it for about five years and it was what I could afford at the time. The car is solid. Completely dry underneath and so far no major issues. A ride on The weekends for only a few miles is all I drive it.

When I look at Cobras around the same year for sale a lot of Cobras have considerably less miles. Are people not driving them?

Thanks,

Dean
Correct - many people think they are or will become collectible, hence, they limit the miles. Life is too short IMO to not drive a fun car as often as possible.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL. Yep, mystery solved. Sometimes folks keep the mileage way down because their spouse has a vehicle and they use that one most of the time. I fall into that category since I work with my wife and I only use my car for pleasure. Mostly weekends. Which explains why it's just over 2 years old with only 4,200 miles.

Dean, post a couple of photos of your Cobra. Is it mostly stock?

96dreamer

Established Member
Mine has 172xxx on it I bought it with 13xxxx on it back in 2007 in Highschool because it was all I could afford. I wish I had started with a lower mileage shell but it is what it is. Mine is so far from original anyway it's never going to be a collector piece.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I laugh when people think SN95 Cobras will ever be super collectable. Ford made like 30,000 of the damn things from 96-98. They're among the slowest Cobras ever and there's nearly zero interesting colors for them, save for about three. The interiors were nearly identical for an entire decade plus they look like 4x4s from the factory. They weren't even all that great in the handling department either. Hell, most people don't even give a crap about them unless it's the front bumper of the hood, maybe the sick ass intake too lol.

Now, with minimal mods, they get real fun, real fast. The aftermarket potential is phenomenal. Plus, I'm in the minority and happen to like a nice lowered 96-98 Cobra.

I bought my Cobra a decade ago with 19,991 miles on it. It currently has 93,2XX on it as of this evening. I've never really loved far from work and I don't take it cross country driving but I do drive it everyday.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I wonder how many people have a modded pre-2003/2004 Cobra to drive daily, and a 2003/2004 Cobra only driven occasionally on weekends to keep the mileage down on more valued Cobra.

Tillerman77

Established Member
I looked up the Hagerty valuation tool for a 94 Cobra. Informational only.
1994 SVT Cobra pricing trends.JPG

amorrow

Established Member
I imagine the reasoning for many has nothing to do with collectibility, and doubt my scenario is that unique. I bought my ‘98 as a secondary car, drove it around 2k miles/year for a few years, bought other cars, got more busy with work, got married, had kids, now has 15k miles on it. I don’t deliberately keep miles off it, and still enjoy driving it when I can. Literally couldn’t care less about resale or value of the car to anyone else, but glad I’ve kept it nice for myself....and still like the SN95s as much now as ever.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
toys have a habit of just sitting. My Mach got retired from DD status and the miles plummeted. You spend too much time detailing then you dont wanna take it out to get nasty (seeing how it rains like every day during the summer here) or it just becomes kind of a hassle.

Adower

Established Member
As many said. Its a toy/weekend car. Only drive it on nice days and on cruises.

jman37

Established Member
I bought mine with 108k, it has about 110k on it now. I took it to work everyday in the summer. However I work at home permanently now, so it sits in the garage and gets brought out when it's nice. It sucks, I feel guilty letting it sit lol.

1996cobraconvertible

Established Member
Well I get the few miles driven on weekends. As far as collectibility I just do not see it. Way too many produced. Collectibility would be in the nature of the 86-87 GNs. Not many made. I should have grabbed one up in 87 when they were 17K.

Curious as to ages on here. I am 52 and I have had a lot of toys, even some that I daily drove.

I am getting a message that pictures are disabled. Maybe I need to have certain amount of posts.

rzimmerl

Established Member
As many said. Its a toy/weekend car. Only drive it on nice days and on cruises.

Ya that's what the use of mine is, purchased from the 5th owner in August with 48k miles. But I was looking for SN95 unmodified with low miles since the price of 03/04 was more then I wanted to spend at this time. For me it was more about what the SN95 Cobra was as they came out when I was in high school and honestly do not see them in this area anymore. As for collectability not sure its there either so decided to tastefully mod the suspension and few other things but is all able to go back to stock if ever needed.

Tillerman77

Established Member
My 97 gets out usually about twice a week for about an hour to hour and half drive each time. I am fortunate to have a lot of decent 2-lane highways/county roads to pick from nearby, many of them quite twisty.

Users who are viewing this thread