Why no hydraulic clutch ?

rocketman

Established Member
I am wondering if there is any reason Ford didn't put a hydraulic clutch in the Cobra. I don't know much about clutches, but why would they put a "standard" clutch in a car that has a modern DOHC engine. Is the clutch they put in the Cobra better our is it Ford being cheap? Does a Z06 have a hydraulic clutch?

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Mustangs do not have hydraulic clutches. The earlier model Mustang Cobra's, which had DOHC 4.6L modular engines back to 1996, didn't have hydraulic clutches either. You really don't sound like you want a Mustang.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I think the real reason is that our basic car design goes back to the 70's. It would be a bit of a chore to engineer in the linkage to a clutch master cylinder. It's easy to run a clutch cable.

When I asked this before people said we should be glad we don't have a hydraulic clutch-- the one Ford engineered in the F-150 is apparently unreliable.

Anyone know if the 2005 Mustang will be hydraulic?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I don't believe the Mustang ever had a hydraulic clutch. I do believe all vettes including the Z-06 do have a hydraulic clutches. Why do you want a hydraulic clutch is the pedal to hard for you to press in?

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I think the advantages of hydraulic clutches are:

1.) Smoother operation-- a less coarse feel to the pedal with fewer points of deflection between pedal and clutch.

2.) Lack of cable stretching meaning less or no need for adjustment. The only thing that changes take up point is wear of the disc.

Don't think it makes clutch harder or easier to use.

Why don't we all still use mechanical brakes??

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
Originally posted by PhillyCobra

1.) Smoother operation-- a less coarse feel to the pedal with fewer points of deflection between pedal and clutch.

2.) Lack of cable stretching meaning less or no need for adjustment. The only thing that changes take up point is wear of the disc.

I seem to recall noting extensive bitching on ls1.com about hydraulic clutches.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by PhillyCobra

A cable operated clutch is as close to hydraulic operation as you can get without the fluid. The cable has only end points that move and if lubricated correctly, along with the pedal mechanism, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
Cable is much less costly to install and maintain.
They do not leak or need refilling.
Modern cables are not prone to stretching as earlier ones may have been.
Are not subject to the temperature limitations that fluids may be.
Are as easy or easier to adjust than hydraulic units and don't require bleeding when components are replaced.
The cable system also takes up less room on the vehicle-no master or slave cylinders or requisite fluid resevoirs.

There are no points of deflection in a cable system that don't exist in a hydraulic system. The cable is pulled only and that does not deflect. But a hydraulic system can be subject to fluid expansion from heat and compression resulting in uneven clutch operation (under extreme conditions).

As for the mechanical brakes, the linkage would be to cumbersome to operate all four wheels, not to mention expensive and troublesome.
Dana

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Hydraulic are much less adjustable, most only for pedal height and freeplay, which are not true clutch adjustments. We'd be changing them much more often.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i'll take a bowden cable over the early model bellcrank and levers ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

and, if it bothers you, you can fit a hydraulic clutch actuator if you wish. the people who developed the retrofitting of late model drivetrain into early model mustang/cougars developed hydraulic actuation for late model ford trans. a master cylinder up on the firewall and a slave clyinder down on the trans that actuates the clutch fork.

on my gt500 i went with the mcleod hydraulic throwout bearing as well. no more fork, either. i am SOOOOO sick of breaking early model clutch pieces. heavy pressure plates an 30 year old parts are an endless series of break-and-replace.

this setup was done mostly for packaging. i put a tko behind the 428.

Woodsrat

Established Member
I agree with rocketman that it is a little surprising that the Cobra does not have a hydraulic clutch, considering the technology used in the car's engine, suspension, etc.

GM is using hydraulic clutches in many of their vehicles. I put 107,000 miles on my '95 4.3 S-10 and 94,000 miles on my '99 4.3 S-10 and the hydraulic clutches work great and have required no maintenance. Most of my motorcycles, even my dirt bike, use hydraulic clutches.

It's no big negative that the Cobra uses a cable-operated clutch, but it is a little surprising.

Users who are viewing this thread