Why is my torque so much higher than my hp?

b_dike

Established Member
Had the car dyno'd for the first time with impressive results, but from what I've seen guy's torgues numbers are generally higher than the hp. Just not by this much... 455rwhp/ 501rwtq (SAE corrected 442rwhp/ 487rwtq)

That's a difference of 45. Anyone else seen that big of a difference on a cobra with similar mods as mine?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Horse power peak is made higher in the RPM range.

The torque peak is lower in the revs, before the inefficiency of the high boost Eaton shows up in any significant way.

Higher up in the revs both torque and HP will be off somewhat from what a more efficient blower type(Twin Screw or Centri) would produce at that same PSI.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've seen higher than normal torque numbers like that before. You've got to be very happy! My old '03 Cobra with 2.90 upper made 457rwhp and 480rwtq (SAE corrected). A lesser difference between power/torque than yours but still healthy torque. Note that a lower crank pulley swap (even a 2 lb. pulley) will normally push the torque higher. Big torque ups the fun factor for sure.

b_dike

Established Member
The torque is definitely awesome! Not complaining one bit, just curious if there were any explanations as to why our torque numbers are sooo high.

svtrookie

Established Member
Had the car dyno'd for the first time with impressive results, but from what I've seen guy's torgues numbers are generally higher than the hp. Just not by this much... 455rwhp/ 501rwtq (SAE corrected 442rwhp/ 487rwtq)

That's a difference of 45. Anyone else seen that big of a difference on a cobra with similar mods as mine?

I had a pretty decent difference with my upper pulley/long tube car. 450/497.

Last edited:

da2k17

Established Member
on my old setup with a 2.81 and 4lb lower and long tubes i had 466hp and 525tq. i think its all about airflow certain mods give you. i had a shitty home ported eaton and made peak tq way fast but died off just as quick. from what ive read those all all good TQ mods.

new setup with a posi ported eaton nets 520hp and 530tq, not a big tq increase but it doesnt drop off anywhere close to the old setup, in fact the difference isnt more than 100ft lbs from peak to lowest point.

on spray i make WAY more tq than hp. but from my non expert opinion its all about the setup and tune.

on my old setup i ran a vert that made 495hp and only 430tq (no lower or longtubes). and i would walk away from him real bad and if you read my thread in time slip bar its clear i dont drive my car very good at all. shoot for higher tq numbers it will make you happier.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
like Jimmy stated, high tq figures are the nature of the lil ole eaton when spun hard.

my stage 3 port, 2.65"/4lb, longtubes, and dragon tb made 517/584. now thats a big split. The torque came on very hard and down low was a ton of fun around town, just hard to plant.

Users who are viewing this thread