why in the hell is the heater core so hard to get out??

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
anyone have any tips on this.
i have my interior all ripped up right now, the heater assembly is all loose and i can move it around but i cant wiggle it out from under the dash.
i got so frustrated that i just quit for the day.

anyone have any tips to get that little ****er out of there??

thanks

tinosc281

Established Member
heater core

you won't be able to remove the heater core under the dash.you have to remove the whole dash out of the way.the heater core sits inside the plastic box under the dash containning the ac dryer also.you have to get to it and there are a few screws on the lid you have to remove to get the heather core out.i went to the same agony.took a lot of swearing and labor.a whole day to replace a 120 dollars heather core.it's a pita.i was quoted 1500 dollars by a shop to do it.the easiest way to do it is this way.you have to remove your seats,remove the center colum,drop the steering wheel colum,remove all the bolts and nuts for the dash and have an extra person available to help pull the dash up an an agle away from passanger side so you can get in there.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
you won't be able to remove the heater core under the dash.you have to remove the whole dash out of the way.the heater core sits inside the plastic box under the dash containning the ac dryer also.you have to get to it and there are a few screws on the lid you have to remove to get the heather core out.i went to the same agony.took a lot of swearing and labor.a whole day to replace a 120 dollars heather core.it's a pita.i was quoted 1500 dollars by a shop to do it.the easiest way to do it is this way.you have to remove your seats,remove the center colum,drop the steering wheel colum,remove all the bolts and nuts for the dash and have an extra person available to help pull the dash up an an agle away from passanger side so you can get in there.

god god. that sucks balls.
well i guess im half way there. i mine as well do the rest.

elyrain

Established Member
Jesus, if mine ever goes bad I'm just gonna bypass the mf'er. One of the benefits of living in a warm climate...

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I had to do one in my 88 Notch and it was a bitch to get out and came to find that the under the windshield was rotten and had holes in the firewall:rollseyes

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
heater core 1
no_slow_svt 0

i gave up. what a pain in the ass.
that bastard will stay bypassed for a couple more years
I would take in but i hate bringing my car somewhere and dropping it off.
ive heard way to many horror stories on how they cant burp the coolant system, and i dont want a 800rwhp car in the hands of some 20 yo service tech
not to mention they wanted like 900 bucks to do it.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
heater core 1
no_slow_svt 0

i gave up. what a pain in the ass.
that bastard will stay bypassed for a couple more years
I would take in but i hate bringing my car somewhere and dropping it off.
ive heard way to many horror stories on how they cant burp the coolant system, and i dont want a 800rwhp car in the hands of some 20 yo service tech
not to mention they wanted like 900 bucks to do it.

its nice to have a shop you trust

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
The factory makes it hard so you take it in for service, then they can rape you. I have one of my cars that had the heater core go out over 6 years ago, I still have not replaced it. It's my summer car so if it does get cold I keep a sweatshirt in the rear. Boy am I lazy !!!!!

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
^i dont blame you man, im going to do the same thing with the sweatshirt.

i would rather have the runs for a week than attempt that again.
ive done tons of stuff to my car over the years, and i dont think ive ever cussed at it as much as i did yesterday.

Solo500

Established Member
i live in texas... and it only gets cold a few months a year... if that. i keep thinsulate gloves in the backseat... but that sweatshirt idea sounds genius!

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
I did this on my 92 Foxbody. Been a backyard mechanic for over 40 years now and have done motors, trannys, rear ends, etc. NEVER did a worse job than replacing the heater core. I did not take the dash out but pulled it away. It was 15 hours over two days and it was a HORRIBLE job! And, I've had some lousy experiences over the years but this takes the cake. If it goes bad on my Cobra, well, living in WV it gets real cold, so I would have to do it but I'd sure think six times and groan a lot before starting.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I never had a problem with new edge dash removal.
There are a couple of bolts under the defroster vents,
2 I think on each "A" pillar, remove console and dash to floor bolts,
unhook some wiring harnesses, vacuum harness,
drop or remove steering column, it should pretty much come out.
When I did the dash harness on my project car,
I think it took an hour or so to remove the dash as a unit.
I might also have removed the driver seat to get extra room
(4 bolts and a plug)
Not fun, I agree.

cobraracer46

Banned
replacing the heater core on a 1994-2004 mustang is not difficult. when I do a heater core job on a mustang, I take out the dash and steering column as a unit. There is no need to remove the steering column unless you like extra work.:bash::read:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
Does your sig need updating? 800rw, I am jealous

yes sir. i ditched the procharger for a set of twins.
IMG_0039.jpg

101_1242.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread