Why I never had much confidence in Kenny Brown parts

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
Bruce, who was the manufacturer of the rod end that broke? it should be stamped on the housing that is in the picture.

Also, could you have bottomed out the travel of the rod end?

I'd like to learn more details if you have them.

bpt

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
b_tone said:
Bruce, who was the manufacturer of the rod end that broke? it should be stamped on the housing that is in the picture.

Also, could you have bottomed out the travel of the rod end?

I'd like to learn more details if you have them.

bpt

Brian:

There are absolutely NO identifying marks on the broken rod end whatsoever. There is a missing piece, so I will have to check the "yet to fail" pieces when I remove them.

It's impossible to have bottomed this out if I didn't do it at Grattan or The Milwaukee Mile? Besides, I shortened up the mount a couple of events ago from the middle the the stiffest position. Which is the shortest travel (stiffest) actually of the three mounting locations. Most likely what propagated the failure?

What's your take on the ratings above I had listed?

Thanks,

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Brian:

I DID end up finding some identification marks on these parts. After looking at the part under the loupe I was unable to make it out. After I put it on the optical comparator I saw that the numbers were sort of double stamped and made them hard to read. Anyway, the numbers are CML6.

Here is a photo of the broken, new and unbroken parts:

p70502643jn.jpg

After seeing what these parts look like in a side by side comparison, there is No Doubt in my mind these new eyes will perform just fine. There is no need for the heavier series IMHO.

I still need to get the Pegasus replacement numbers for Mark. I haven't forgotten! Stay tuned!

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Ha Ha Vince! I guess it also equals POS!! :lol:

We use Heim joints all the time at work and it is a consumable item. Especially if you got a 3/8" one moving a sway bar that is trying to lift your other control arm. There must have been some wear between the ball and socket before it failed altogether.

If my springs are 1000 Lb/In and I move the control arm up 2" on one side, the swaybar is trying to pull the other control arm up 2" against its other spring. So that Heim joint might have 2000# of force on it? Now your springs may be less w/ your coilovers, but the travel will be longer, i.e., 400 Lb/In x 5" travel? Either way, probably too much force on a part if you expect it to last forever. Can you upgrade to 1/2" heim joints? Otherwise I would get the 15,000# ones from Pegasus and replace when you detected wear between the ball and the socket.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Vince:

Your point is well taken. But seeing the difference in quality in these two pieces, it's night and day! I'm going to give these a try, carry a spare and hope for the best. If I break one of these, then I will go to the heavier joint. I could go to the next larger joint but that's going to be more weight! :cryying:

Mark:

The Pegasus part number for the joint in the photo is: 3060-6-L and cost $13.59 each.

Last edited:

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Vince:

Your point is well taken. But seeing the difference in quality in these two pieces, it's night and day! I'm going to give these a try, carry a spare and hope for the best. If I break one of these, then I will go to the heavier joint. I could go to the next larger joint but that's going to be more weight! :cryying:

Mark:

The Pegasus part number for the joint in the photo is: 3060-6-L and cost $13.59 each.

I never said it was high quality or equaled the one you got from Pegasus, but perhaps the Kenny Brown is a lower quality piece that also is undersized. My MM rear swaybar endlinks were 10MM or .394", your front endlinks are .375" and perhaps see more load than my rear ones?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I was back at Pegasus this morning and can give you the ratings on the subject rod ends.(instead of guessing, like last time!)

The lighter one I've decided to go with is rated at 3,915# and is teflon lined. Part number is 3060-6-L and they run $13.59

The heavier unit is also teflon lined and is rated at 8,939# and retails for $34.99. Part number for that one is 3062-6-L.

There is No Doubt the lighter one will be fine and I plan on giving it a good test when I get to Blackhawk at the end of the month. I'll be carrying a spare just in case now!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I received a call from Mike and Thomas Moran the other day and seeing they have the same set-up I do, they asked me to pick up some spare links for them. Actually there are a few components required to make the conversion from the original stud style to the open eye style.

If anyone else is looking for spares for this set up, I will gladly pick up however many you want? I'm thinking it's going to be just under or right at $20.00 per link by the time you get the attaching bolt, jam nut, nylock locknut and special eye washers.

I will be at the Road America Northwoods event and the September Gingerman SCMC/AV8SS.

Speak up now or forever hold your piece....errrr........ I mean peace!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Vince:

Good find but the Kenny Brown front sway bar is totally different and I can fix the problem for $20.00 a side! ;-)

You know how cheap I am?!? :poke:

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Mr. Mysti said:
Bruce,

I found these in a recent issue of GRM. They seem to be a bit pricey @ $229.00, but perhaps that is ok? :shrug:

I run that exact setup on the front of my AI car. They are a real quality piece. They can also be used for the rear swaybar of an IRS car. The nice thing about them is you can neutralize your swaybar easily.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I figured it's been a while since we discussed this so I figured it was time to resurrect it once again!?

My RR LCA had an issue and I was going to address when I install my Delrin after we got back from our Mexico trip in May. After inspecting the car for the event next weekend I discovered it's now an emergency issue.

Have a gander at this piece of work:

kbposweldcrackkr5.jpg

Here is what a tiny bit of play in the lower mounting eye will get you::bash:

kbposmountcl7.jpg

Cool, huh? :cuss:

kbposmount2hg4.jpg

So now you guys know what I did all day today!!! :burn:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Cobra-R said:
What are you going to do to fix the problem, Bruce?

You coming to Iowa next weekend?

Brian

Brian I spent most of the day with the torch straightening that POS out. I made some .187" steel pieces I'm going to sister on top to stiffen it up. My welding skills suck, so I have to wait for my Bro-in-Law to tig it up for me on Monday after work. I'll post up the pics of the finished product. It's going to be pretty trick and heavy duty when I'm done with it! :coolman:

Next weekend I'll be at Road America instructing with the Windy City BMW Club.

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
Do you want to go w/ a 03/04 IRS instead? I have a cradle, Upper and Lower control arms and you can use your Diff, axles and knuckles. I also know this guy that makes up some nice bushings for it. It might not be as trick as the KB setup, but it will match your front, and last longer?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Vince:

I have a total of three IRS assemblies and numerous miscellaneous spare components I rob parts from as I use them up. It's also helped me to develop the bushing kits as well.

:-D

Users who are viewing this thread