Why I never had much confidence in Kenny Brown parts

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Rant on/

Well, as most of you know, I had a hellatious experience installing the Kenny Brown IRS in my car. I could go into detail, but I don't think SVTP has enough bandwidth to handle it! :(

This is just the tip of the iceberg and only one small problem I had (of many) with the assembly. The lower control arm on the right side had a misaligned bolt hole for the knuckle. This was the condition I had when I installed it:

kblca2gr.jpg

I was told, it will be ok because the joint on the knuckle can swivel. Made some sense to me at the time, so I let it slide.

Now, I tear the car down for some Winter maintenance and I discover something very interesting. This is the condition I have now:

distortedlca2rp.jpg

I'm pretty sure I know how I'm going to fix this but unfortunately won't be able to deal with it until next Winter.

Now that KB is out of business I'm left holding the bag. Live and learn I guess is the nature of this business!

Rant off/

There, now I feel better!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Um that's the same pic...

Unless you never change clothes in which case remind me to never be behind you.

ever.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
now thats just crappy fabricating :nonono: :loser: I would never have installed them like that in the first place....not to mention, the material appears to be WAY too thin for the application! :read: If I was you, I'd find a decent welder/fabricator, make new ears from thicker material, R&R the old ones, and drill the holes straight this time! :bored: :rollseyes

MikeW

Established Member
Wow Bruce.. .is that why your arm was broken in Atlanta during CLT last year? What a bunch of BS.

Good luck with the fix.

Mike

SGL

Banned
ac427cobra said:
I'm glad my experiences dealing with Maximum Motorsports have been nothing but fantastic!

When will MM produce a reconfigured IRS craddle with better geometry? That's what I am interested in.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
97topless snake said:
Wow Bruce.. .is that why your arm was broken in Atlanta during CLT last year? What a bunch of BS.

Good luck with the fix.

Mike

Mike:

Actually I hurt my hand getting the rear hard mount to go into the car. That's a whole 'nother story!! :nonono: :fm: :mj: :fart:

MikeW

Established Member
LOL another bad topic .... sorry.

I was going to order some KB springs awhile back ago... Now I will go H&R through MMsports.

Andy M

Established Member
Bruce,

That attachment point sure looks pretty thin to me man? It seems like anything which will be subjected to these kind of shearing forces should be made of thicker material?? maybe its just me???? :shrug:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Andy M said:
Bruce,

That attachment point sure looks pretty thin to me man? It seems like anything which will be subjected to these kind of shearing forces should be made of thicker material?? maybe its just me???? :shrug:

Andy:

You and Ken are both right. I'm going to take a plate and weld it to the out side because there is plenty of room oun the outside. Then put the hole in where it belongs STRAIGHT through this time!! :cuss:

Exit Speed

Alpha Omega Racing
Established Member
I did a complete front and rear Kenny Brown suspension with some other brands sprinkled in with not to much wrench experience. I know there are other brands that are worthy, but if all of you who choose to not give credit to Kenny and his crew is really a little over the top. My car first time out with a driver that is green and holding back quite a bit, keeping in mind that I also put everything under the car myself using nothing more than instructions and an occasional call to Kenny,never yeilded to another car that day or any of the following 5 events the rest of the year. This has to be a testament to a product that is thought out and happens to produce a capable track car. Every manufacturer of any product has strengths and weaknesses, Kenny is no exception, but I am pretty happy with the way my project turned out and it no doubt will be better as I learn to drive it more effectively and learn how to make changes that will make it even better. See ya at the track. Oh, and the custom metal work, I had a friend bale me on that one. Peace.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Exit Speed said:
I did a complete front and rear Kenny Brown suspension with some other brands sprinkled in with not to much wrench experience. I know there are other brands that are worthy, but if all of you who choose to not give credit to Kenny and his crew is really a little over the top. My car first time out with a driver that is green and holding back quite a bit, keeping in mind that I also put everything under the car myself using nothing more than instructions and an occasional call to Kenny,never yeilded to another car that day or any of the following 5 events the rest of the year. This has to be a testament to a product that is thought out and happens to produce a capable track car. Every manufacturer of any product has strengths and weaknesses, Kenny is no exception, but I am pretty happy with the way my project turned out and it no doubt will be better as I learn to drive it more effectively and learn how to make changes that will make it even better. See ya at the track. Oh, and the custom metal work, I had a friend bale me on that one. Peace.

Kenny Brown deserves credit I agree, but to give him credit for you not being passed once in 5 events is a little over the top as well. I don't know the circumstances behind that statement, but we are all seasoned enough track people in here to know something is fishy in a statement like that.

Brian

Exit Speed

Alpha Omega Racing
Established Member
I'll admit there were cars at every event that were faster than me, some way faster. I was never on track with these cars because they would be driving in red group, advanced group, instructor group, whatever. Do you think Bruce's car is fast. It seems that he has everyone's respect on this board including me, And I have synced up one of my VIR videos with his video he made in I believe November when temps must have been much more favorable than the 95 degree temps when my video was made and I am at 2:17 to his 2:14. you don't have to believe this, it just is. Like I said, this is mostly a testament to Kenny's parts because as you know someone with the little bit of track time I have could not possibly be the reason. :nono:

VirtualSVT said:
Um that's the same pic...

Unless you never change clothes in which case remind me to never be behind you.

ever.

:lol:

Thats a shame. They don't fabricate a piece correctly and then they provide the old "you should be ok" generic response. :nonono:

b4409

Established Member
Bruce - looks like it "aligned itself" :-D Should be good to go . . . :poke:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
BAD PNY said:
Bruce

If you had a Z06 you would not have to worry about these things... The factory got it right :poke:

Mike:

Can you just imagine the ribbing I'd take if I bought a Z06?!?!? :poke:

I just can't see it?!?! :read: But you never know!??! :p

Exit Speed said:
Every manufacturer of any product has strengths and weaknesses, Kenny is no exception

Skeet:

Trust me. I'm not one to BS about something as serious as this! I could write 15 LONG paragraphs on just the shit I went through on the KB IRS ALONE!!! I'm not too happy about it as you might be able to tell!! I was fit to be tied after installing that POS and most likely was the main reason I hurt my hand installing it! I learned a LOT about KB products last year at this time! :cuss: :nonono: :kaboom: :loser: :fart: :mj:

b4409 said:
Bruce - looks like it "aligned itself" :-D Should be good to go . . . :poke:

Bruce:

That is exactly what happened. No Doubt!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread