Why I do my own work

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Diff whine was getting worse, took cover off, metal in fluid, chipped spiders, total rebuild in process.

I was inspecting things as I was removing them, and this pinion bearing caught my eye. If you look at the pic, you can see a huge gap under the bearing (.062" actually). The shop that worked on the diff never even pressed the bearing on all the way. This means they obviously didn't give a shit about running a full contact pattern check either, LOL. Just another reason to do your own work, and do it right!

piniongap1.JPG

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow,......seems to be the way of the land lately.
Terrible work.
Good luck man.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Sure would be nice for one f'ing shop to do things right without an f'ing fight.

Damn, I hate people sometimes.

MG0h3

Established Member
Hahahha holy shit! That’s insane!

Surprised it was just a whine.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a high end shop install the axles on my 8.8 backwards. Yes, they are asymmetric and that little gaff caused one side to have all the splines engaged and the other to have 1/4” engaged. Made for a real quick burnout by stripping them clean off.
Shop owner joked about the tech only knowing GMs. I wasn’t laughing.
-J

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Who did the work?

I have a lot of receipts (from previous owner); I thought one of them had the shop responsible, but nothing specifically about diff work..... there was an axle swap to Moser axles in there, so my suspicion is that the axle swap guy mistakenly took the diff all apart, then realized he was only swapping axles, and now he was pissed and hurrying to get the thing back together. That's my theory anyway. It had to be someone in a hurry, or in a bad mood, the work is just incredibly sloppy.

I suppose there is a tiny chance it came from the factory like that, but I doubt it.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I had a high end shop install the axles on my 8.8 backwards. Yes, they are asymmetric and that little gaff caused one side to have all the splines engaged and the other to have 1/4” engaged. Made for a real quick burnout by stripping them clean off.
Shop owner joked about the tech only knowing GMs. I wasn’t laughing.
-J

C-clip eliminator, I assume?? I was gonna say, how did he get the longer axle past the huge Cross Pin, but I guess there's no Cross Pin needed??

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
It had 9” ends.
Plus the burnout failure happened in front of the biggest show around here. I’m known to make a huge smoke show there but that time had the flatbed ride home.
-J

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
It had 9” ends.
Plus the burnout failure happened in front of the biggest show around here. I’m known to make a huge smoke show there but that time had the flatbed ride home.
-J

9" ends... that's interesting.

You said the shop owner "joked" about it. Did he make it right? At that point you'd need to tear it all down and clean/replace everything because there'd be metal filings all throughout.

Users who are viewing this thread