Why HPTuners not willing to help 04 and under.

808Matt

Established Member
It's gonna happen.
Hey Eric, no pressure or anything but is there an estimated date that HPT will be available? My build is days away from completion and instead of purchasing the ProTuner from SCT, my tuner would love to use HP instead.

Thankyou

XXWildCoyoteXX

Established Member
Hey Eric, no pressure or anything but is there an estimated date that HPT will be available? My build is days away from completion and instead of purchasing the ProTuner from SCT, my tuner would love to use HP instead.

Thankyou

I hear ya man. Closest SCT tuner to me is around 2-3hrs away, HPTuner like 15 mins XD. top of that the guys there are friends of mine and would love to tune my one off setup.
Hopefully it will be a sooner then later official release.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Just switched an 03 cobra to HP using the nGauge. The flashing and writing the tune was simple, had no issues and support from HP was great. I had to get a beta version since support isn't official.

Datalogging however left a lot to be desired on both the mvpi and nGauge. Very very limited channels(no maf counts iac% iat2 pulse width ect.) and the resolution is terrible if you're actually trying to tune based on datalogs. Resolution was around 1hz maybe 2(roughly 1 snapshot per second, drove me nuts).

This was my first eecv Ford ecu tuned on HP and I was highly disappointed with the data logging. I've done several other vehicles and the HP scanner was awesome! I liked it so much and was excited to get it on an early ford, so maybe my expectations were just to high. I'm pretty sure the $100 genetic scanner from auto zone has more channels and better resolution. When I reached out to HP with questions on scanner I was nicely told that these cars are too old and not worth developing any further... Oh well.

decipha

Established Member
I'll never understand why so many people are persistent on tuning via that archaic method of logging adjusting and writing just to repeat the process

best bet for tuning the EECs is realtime tuning using a moates quarterhorse, you can tune the vehicle and make changes while its running in a split second, and the datalogging is 2nd to none, can log values faster than the ecu can recalculate them if you wanted to

here this will give you all the details and you can download the free software to datalog and even custom tune if if you want

http://www.efidynotuning.com/started.htm

XXWildCoyoteXX

Established Member
I'll never understand why so many people are persistent on tuning via that archaic method of logging adjusting and writing just to repeat the process

best bet for tuning the EECs is realtime tuning using a moates quarterhorse, you can tune the vehicle and make changes while its running in a split second, and the datalogging is 2nd to none, can log values faster than the ecu can recalculate them if you wanted to

here this will give you all the details and you can download the free software to datalog and even custom tune if if you want

http://www.efidynotuning.com/started.htm

If running the Quarterhorse Module on a single car, do you still need the chip or can you just leave the usb cable in a reachable area to hook up and modify any time you want?
Ive been reading the info on this and its getting me interested to go into it. guess the only thing holding me back is the actual seeing someone tune with it. Basically saying, its easier to type down what to do for someone to learn aside from as to watching a person do it themselves.
Is the program you use pretty user friendly or will it take a good chunk of time to fully understand how to use it.

decipha

Established Member
the quarterhorse is the chip, yes you can just reach over and grab the cable and plug it in anytime you want

good ?s dont think ive ever been asked that

XXWildCoyoteXX

Established Member
the quarterhorse is the chip, yes you can just reach over and grab the cable and plug it in anytime you want

good ?s dont think ive ever been asked that
So all thats left after the Quarterhorse Chip install is the downloaded program you use for tuning?
What would you say the learning curve would be with this tuning program. Would there be a lot of researching to understand how to use the program to tune on the fly?

decipha

Established Member
yea the custom tuning software is free

tuning with the quarterhorse is absolutely no different than tuning with sct diablo hptuners sniper or the like its still modifying the ford binary amd writing it to the ecu. The advantage is that you can make those changes while the engine is running.

The learning curve is no different than any other software the parameters are the same, the ford ecus are engineering based logic, its not something your going to just pick up overnight. As with tuning any ford it usually takes about a year to learn enough to tune accurately. Some people pick it up in as little as a month others go on for years and still dont know squat. Its up to you to learn at the pace you choose again irregardless of the tuning software.

You could always get a remote tune if you need to get started in a hurry.

One thing you have to consider, tunerpro and the supported strategys are all free open source development. The more people that use it and support development the better it will be for everyone.

If your serious about Diy tuning I highly recommend going to https://www.efidynotuning.com

the write ups there will tell you everything you meed to know to properly tune a ford, you can even download the custom tuning software and a base tune and play with the software as you go through the write up as i find it makes it easier to go through the motions while you read what its doing

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
If running the Quarterhorse Module on a single car, do you still need the chip or can you just leave the usb cable in a reachable area to hook up and modify any time you want?

Yeah, I have my Quarterhorse connection mounted on my glove box latch so it stay completely out of site, but leave the usb for easy access.

I really enjoy Quarterhorse. I can go for a drive/dinner/grocery store and make changes as I go. I use Binary Editor and a CoreTuning strategy (I got their Quarterhorse/Strategies combo). However, if I would go back I would take a closer look at that direct flash option on there as well.

I was just sick of how SCT treated me when I had issues and didn't want to wait for HP Tuners (Glad I didn't now that I see how much it costs to get setup with it now though). I didn't want to pay someone to maybe do a good job on my car. I knew no one would spend as much time on it as I would to get it right. The learning curve is not as steep as I thought it would be, but there certainly a lot to consider when doing all this. Our EEC-Vs are kinda tricky as most people are running EEC-IVs or other older ECUs, but between reading a lot, eectuning forum, and efidynotuning forum there is a lot of knowledge out there.

I just take it by baby steps, but am actually having a blast and feel a lot of pride in doing it

XXWildCoyoteXX

Established Member
yea the custom tuning software is free

tuning with the quarterhorse is absolutely no different than tuning with sct diablo hptuners sniper or the like its still modifying the ford binary amd writing it to the ecu. The advantage is that you can make those changes while the engine is running.

The learning curve is no different than any other software the parameters are the same, the ford ecus are engineering based logic, its not something your going to just pick up overnight. As with tuning any ford it usually takes about a year to learn enough to tune accurately. Some people pick it up in as little as a month others go on for years and still dont know squat. Its up to you to learn at the pace you choose again irregardless of the tuning software.

You could always get a remote tune if you need to get started in a hurry.

One thing you have to consider, tunerpro and the supported strategys are all free open source development. The more people that use it and support development the better it will be for everyone.

If your serious about Diy tuning I highly recommend going to https://www.efidynotuning.com

the write ups there will tell you everything you meed to know to properly tune a ford, you can even download the custom tuning software and a base tune and play with the software as you go through the write up as i find it makes it easier to go through the motions while you read what its doing

Yeah, I have my Quarterhorse connection mounted on my glove box latch so it stay completely out of site, but leave the usb for easy access.

I really enjoy Quarterhorse. I can go for a drive/dinner/grocery store and make changes as I go. I use Binary Editor and a CoreTuning strategy (I got their Quarterhorse/Strategies combo). However, if I would go back I would take a closer look at that direct flash option on there as well.

I was just sick of how SCT treated me when I had issues and didn't want to wait for HP Tuners (Glad I didn't now that I see how much it costs to get setup with it now though). I didn't want to pay someone to maybe do a good job on my car. I knew no one would spend as much time on it as I would to get it right. The learning curve is not as steep as I thought it would be, but there certainly a lot to consider when doing all this. Our EEC-Vs are kinda tricky as most people are running EEC-IVs or other older ECUs, but between reading a lot, eectuning forum, and efidynotuning forum there is a lot of knowledge out there.

I just take it by baby steps, but am actually having a blast and feel a lot of pride in doing it

Thanks for the info yall. Think ill take a dive into it and read up some. Bunch of info it sounds like to be had, but winter up here has my car in storage. So I guess i've got the time to dive into reading and watching some of their youtube recorded lessons.
My HPT guy nearby is pretty knowledgable with Moates also, so that will help my learning curve a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread