Why has suicide become such a viable option?

1badton

Established Member
The thing is you have someone like me who has accomplished nothing in their life, but surviving. Life has been rough as hell for me. Ive lost everything: 2 vehicles, a motorcycle, evicted and had to live with my wife’s family so we could get our money together. Not to mention being unemployed for a year because nobody wanted to hire my ass.

The point to telling you that is Ive been on the very bottom looking up and have been busted back down multiple times and it sucked. There were days I thought things were never gonna get better and the truth is my life is the best it’s ever been. I dont have to money to live like most the members on this site and I’m fine with that. Its my place in life same as y'all have y’alls. People need to learn to accept that not everyone is gonna be a winner at life and suicide is not gonna help them.

Coddling and saying everyone is a winner is crap. Someone has to be the young guy like gimme at the time telling the old guy like me who had been at the job forever what to do. Believe me I hate have to listen to guys young enough to be my kid because they were born into a better situation than me and were able to move up in life earlier. At the end of the day life is a game and someone’s gonna win and some of us are gonna lose. Just be happy you are still in the game and not everyday is a guaranteed loser and not everyday is a guaranteed winner.
How did you lose everything? Twice?

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
How did you lose everything? Twice?

Cut backs at work, lost a job due to a crooked boss who later got fired for screwing me and his nephew over, family stole all my stuff and left me high and dry (real nice way to return to home after I discharged). My favorite was i started to take classes at a college and had financial aid completely screw up my paperwork after everything was ready accepted which resulted in me not receiving my aid to pay to finish paying off my classes I signed up for. That emptied out my entire savings and since work had been cut back for me to attend classes to better my station in life. I went flat broke.

Now mind you when it rained it poured, but life moved on and i learned that no matter how bad life was. There was always a tomorrow.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Cut backs at work, lost a job due to a crooked boss who later got fired for screwing me and his nephew over, family stole all my stuff and left me high and dry (real nice way to return to home after I discharged). My favorite was i started to take classes at a college and had financial aid completely screw up my paperwork after everything was ready accepted which resulted in me not receiving my aid to pay to finish paying off my classes I signed up for. That emptied out my entire savings and since work had been cut back for me to attend classes to better my station in life. I went flat broke.

Now mind you when it rained it poured, but life moved on and i learned that no matter how bad life was. There was always a tomorrow.

There is no doubt the row some have to hoe will be MUCH tougher than others.

The knowledge you will gain from situations like these, however, will better prepare you than most folks. I would hardly call that “losing”. You have a lot to be thankful for and more importantly, society at large has a lot to THANK YOU for.

You’re still young and really at that crossroad where the timing is still on your side to make a career move (which I think you have) that can pay off for you and your family long term.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
There is no doubt the row some have to hoe will be MUCH tougher than others.

The knowledge you will gain from situations like these, however, will better prepare you than most folks. I would hardly call that “losing”. You have a lot to be thankful for and more importantly, society at large has a lot to THANK YOU for.

You’re still young and really at that crossroad where the timing is still on your side to make a career move (which I think you have) that can pay off for you and your family long term.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

You sound like my wife. The lessons I learned were not to so greatly value earthly things for they for they can easily be taken away from you and by staying strong in my faith the what I needed would always be there when i needed it.

I do hate that life has left me sour towards so much I used to enjoy, but I have found so much more that I enjoy now

1badton

Established Member
Yes to all of the past few posts. I am 51yrs old and have been through alot to me, maybe not to others. Things have been placed in my path of life that make me question alot. I do realize it has made me stronger and confirmed that most do not possess as much as I have. One thing I have learned is loyalty is stronger and better then blood. Jeffh81 you have now seen this and as I posted on FB if there wasn't corrupt family court, think of what 60B dollars could do for our veterans and elderly. Keep your head brother, I know to well how that statement seems empty but one day you will feel the depth of it. Men their is a war on us due to the hatred of being weaker. If they truly wanted equality, then why the dbl standards? Hit me or my boys now I will defend myself, knock you the **** out and press charges!!!!! To all you cops out there, you took an oath, follow the color of the law and dont discriminate against your own species no matter what. If this war keeps going on, the stats for suicide among men young and old will grow and we will lose the country then the bitches will come crying back!

Khan

BANNED STOCK BRAKE PADS GURU
Established Member
Main cause of suicide is depression. Depression is lethal!

1badton

Established Member
Main cause of suicide is depression. Depression is lethal!
Khan main cause of depression lack of testosterone in men these days due to lifestyles, lack of physical work and chemicals. Big government and pharmaceutical companies do not want us healthy no money in it. Think I'm wrong do the research. Been in meds since 2012 because of ex and her PTSD. On a comeback with my beautiful smart girlfriend now. Strong women want strong men and alpha males.
20181030_174326.jpeg

CV355

_
Established Member
My favorite was i started to take classes at a college and had financial aid completely screw up my paperwork after everything was ready accepted which resulted in me not receiving my aid to pay to finish paying off my classes I signed up for. That emptied out my entire savings and since work had been cut back for me to attend classes to better my station in life. I went flat broke.

I know exactly how that feels- I had a full-ride scholarship yanked away because someone else put in a late application and it came down to family financials (which in my opinion are irrelevant when family isn't paying for anything). The next few years were "do I get lunch, or do I have gas money?" Definitely a kick to the teeth when I saw how so many "college kids" squandered the opportunity and had it easy as hell while I, as a 16 year old sophomore, was living off 1 meal a day and working 40hrs a week on top of class.

That brings a lot to the convo too- it's the same effect as social media. The "everyone has it easier than I/us" perspective. And there's a lot of truth to it of course, but social media rubs salt in that wound.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I know exactly how that feels- I had a full-ride scholarship yanked away because someone else put in a late application and it came down to family financials (which in my opinion are irrelevant when family isn't paying for anything). The next few years were "do I get lunch, or do I have gas money?" Definitely a kick to the teeth when I saw how so many "college kids" squandered the opportunity and had it easy as hell while I, as a 16 year old sophomore, was living off 1 meal a day and working 40hrs a week on top of class.

That brings a lot to the convo too- it's the same effect as social media. The "everyone has it easier than I/us" perspective. And there's a lot of truth to it of course, but social media rubs salt in that wound.
I had a full ride to Savannah College of Art and Design. I met the woman I have been married to now for half my life and decided to stick around.

I would have sucked as an art teacher (that's what my goal was at that time). It was a move for the best, but I struggled through college without that scholarship.

I first started attending a local community college still focused on art. I had a full time job, lived on my own, and if not for my wife's family (then girlfriend) I would have starved.

Throughout high school I played music for extra cash and worked at a grocery store, and my dad's shop. The music paid for alcohol, and I don't know how anything else worked.

College was different. I had an offer to sign with a label and decided I didn't want to be owned. Music and art slowly faded away, and I became more focused on my relationship, church, and changed my major.

I am still paying for college, and still working my butt off. I'm still broke too. Hmmm. I do play a few acoustic shows from time to time again. Music is a full time job. Still making life happen.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mainn

Established Member
I have so much I want to say about this topic. Whether it’s to get it all out to someone, or an attempt to educate, I don’t know. I’m sorry in advance if the post ends up being uber-long. In addition, it may get a little too detailed - you may want to skip over this post if you don’t want to hear about suicide/self-harm.

I’d have no idea why suicide rates have increased as I haven’t been around long enough to know what things were like ‘in the past’. But, what I can say is - it’s different for everyone.

I don’t know much about suicide specifically, but I’m pretty confident in saying it wouldn’t cross the thoughts of most rational people once.

I’ve been extremely close with a few people who have suffered from mental illnesses. Specifically, depression and anxiety. I felt like I had a pretty firm idea on what it’s like to live with such illnesses, and how they can’t just ‘go away’, but I’ve learnt since that it’s really difficult to picture just the extent of what’s going on without having experienced it yourself.

I was born in 1999, so a young dude. I’ve been to the GP twice, and have had six psychologist appointments, just in the latter half of this year.

I guess I could say I’ve had an easy life. I think that I’m naturally gifted in the brains department - whilst I did study in high school, it was probably only an ‘average’ amount; and I certainly did a lot better than ‘average’ results wise. I’m starting my university degree, mechanical engineering, next year with the dream of entering the motorsport industry. I have a casual job. My point is, I can’t think of anything for me to be ‘sad about’.

Now, for the past while. At some point or another, the thought of suicide enters my mind more days than not. I don’t know whether I would ever go through with it, but having thoughts related to it is scary enough. I never thought I’d ever reach the stage where I’d feel so sad, and so frustrated, to the point where I would lash out physically either, though - but that’s happened more than once before. When this has happened to me, and I felt the urge to scratch my arm as hard as I could with my fingernails, my senses were dulled - I obviously knew something was happening, but I couldn’t really feel it physically. It was just something I felt like I had to do. It hit a bit more when I woke up the next morning, remembering what had happened, seeing it and feeling it.

It comes in sudden waves. I can be having a really good time, and then a small trigger and a few minutes later, be on the verge of crying. But, you can never really escape the ‘dull’ feeling, despite how much of a good time you could be having.
I tell myself almost everyday that those around me would be better off if I was gone. That, they may be sad for a short period of time, but ultimately would live much happier lives. That I’m bringing them down with me. THIS is what I tell myself when a suicidal thought pops into my head.
It’s so tiring. My brain never stops. Anxiety means I’m extremely critical about every single thing I do. I replay things over and over again in my head, beating myself up over things I should’ve done. I’m extremely sensitive as a result, as I can’t help but feel everything that happens which is even slightly negative is against me.
Depression then means that I tell myself things went wrong because I’m a terrible person. That I don’t deserve anything that I have. That people would be better off without me around.
And off it spirals. Deeper and darker. It’s impossible to tell yourself, or have someone tell you and you believe it, that all of your thoughts are ‘not true’ when you’re in this space.
Physically, I can’t sleep, and I’m always exhausted doing the smallest of tasks. I often lack a sense of hunger.

What I’ve learnt is that, despite people saying they’re there for you - they’re not. For the most part, you’re very much alone. If there’s any sign that you may bring their mood down, they’re outta there. There hasn’t been one person I can think of, other than maybe my parents, who have stayed true to their word and have been by my side in the worst of times. Feeling alone when you’re telling yourself you SHOULD be alone can sometimes be the hardest bit.

I know others who suffer from anxiety and depression, too, and it affects them in a much different way. For some, it can be extremely physical - shaking in their body, etc.

No two situations are the same, and unfortunately, I really believe that it can bite anyone - despite how well their life is perceived to be going. It’s not just a case of ‘toughening up’, or ‘learn how to deal with things’. Most people can. Those with mental illnesses simply can’t. Suicide is never the first option or thought. It’s not even the second, or third, or fourth, even for those with depression. But when you’re in a really, really bad headspace, it feels like the right thing to do. Whether that’s because, like me, you think it’d be best for everyone else around you - or whether it’s because you feel like you can’t escape your own mind otherwise, or any other reason.

Anxiety sucks. Depression sucks. Mental illnesses suck. It’s just you hurting yourself. They’re really, really horrible.

Yikes, I just spent over an hour writing this post...

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My familiarity with suicide is fairly limited, had a couple classmates who killed themselves when they were in their mid to late 20s. One guy and one girl, both had children. Guy was into drugs and I guessed he killed himself when he was going through withdrawals. Never found out why the girl killed herself.

Otherwise, my mom has 5 sisters and they are all nutty in their own way. Likely the calmest of the 6 was 5 or so years older than my mom. She got pancreatic cancer and fought it tooth and nail but when it came back after the surgery she couldn't do another round of chemo. The one after my mom went extra nutty after her husband died of Parkinson's and despite having 2 beautiful daughters in their early-mid 20s, she took his service weapon and went to the cemetery and shot herself at age 55. Crazy to see the difference in the outlook on life between 2 sisters and it leads me to believe everyone has their own unique fight in life that nobody else can ever fully understand.

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Depression is a monster. Manic's have it worse, but I struggle with it. It's not fun, and for anyone who doesn't understand, suicide looks real good when you're on the bottom.

Good people, smart living, and healthy outlets are a huge in keeping it at bay.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I feel like Im at pretty much scraping the bottom at this point. Lost my job in Oct due to personal matters that my boss stirred up which ruined our relationship, and since then I feel like I have gone down hill. After all that happen I was happy to be out of that mentally abusive situation but Im feeling more and more lost and unable to figure out what to do. I was happy with my career and felt like I had a future but now I feel like I dont know where to go or what to do. I have no money, no life, no girlfriend, and what feels like no future.

But with that being said, I dont feel hopeless. It just feels like I stage in my life that I have to get past even though Im not sure how to. I've seen plenty of other guys in the military opt for or threaten suicide at this point or just because their girl left them, but things can change in an instant! As shitty as life feels today it could be totally different tomorrow. I refuse to let it take control of me and whether things continue to get worse I want to ve there to see it and live it because at some point will be the bottom and it will only get better from there... hopefully lol.

I have to accredit much of it to my faith as well. While Im not at my best point in my walk I know that suicide is not the way. God may not have a spectacular life planned for me but there is more here for me to do and experience and people who need me.

1badton

Established Member
I feel like Im at pretty much scraping the bottom at this point. Lost my job in Oct due to personal matters that my boss stirred up which ruined our relationship, and since then I feel like I have gone down hill. After all that happen I was happy to be out of that mentally abusive situation but Im feeling more and more lost and unable to figure out what to do. I was happy with my career and felt like I had a future but now I feel like I dont know where to go or what to do. I have no money, no life, no girlfriend, and what feels like no future.

But with that being said, I dont feel hopeless. It just feels like I stage in my life that I have to get past even though Im not sure how to. I've seen plenty of other guys in the military opt for or threaten suicide at this point or just because their girl left them, but things can change in an instant! As shitty as life feels today it could be totally different tomorrow. I refuse to let it take control of me and whether things continue to get worse I want to ve there to see it and live it because at some point will be the bottom and it will only get better from there... hopefully lol.

I have to accredit much of it to my faith as well. While Im not at my best point in my walk I know that suicide is not the way. God may not have a spectacular life planned for me but there is more here for me to do and experience and people who need me.
Hang in brother, know the feeling, fighting for my kids and a narcissist ex. Looking forward to SHTF then things will change back if Trump can't do it. If you need to talk let me know.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

I know you’ve talked about it before. But what about getting back in and going SOF? I was never and will never be the tip of the spear, but the closer I was the more I knew of a purpose. Sounds like you need a purpose and it’s a good purpose to have.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Hang in brother, know the feeling, fighting for my kids and a narcissist ex. Looking forward to SHTF then things will change back if Trump can't do it. If you need to talk let me know.

I really appreciate it and will keep you in mind. Im a pretty isolated person by nature but I appreciate when people reach out to me. Thanks!

I know you’ve talked about it before. But what about getting back in and going SOF? I was never and will never be the tip of the spear, but the closer I was the more I knew of a purpose. Sounds like you need a purpose and it’s a good purpose to have.

I am actually strongly considering trying to get back in for TACP as I feel serving in the military was something I was made for and always excelled at. I did talk to a recruiter about it a few months ago and they told me chances of getting back in were slim to none. I would have to get the MEPS doctors to clear me from my neck/back injury and knees which the recruiter felt was unlikely to happen. I know I can do it but Im just thinking of whether it is worth the time to try.

The most immediate thing I have lined up is that Im enrolled back in school for winter quarter but Im not sure what to do. The school Im going to has a program for Aeronautical Science that will certify me as a pilot in fixed or rotary wing among other things so Im pretty interested in that.

Im also filling out application for police departments as they are very shortstaffed and pay really well out here, but I have already been turned down once from a department a few years before which I never found out why. I scored a combined 99% but they didnt move me onto the next phase.

Problem is that none of it really strikes me as things I want to do or feel like I should do, but Im going to try anyways.

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I really appreciate it and will keep you in mind. Im a pretty isolated person by nature but I appreciate when people reach out to me. Thanks!

I am actually strongly considering trying to get back in for TACP as I feel serving in the military was something I was made for and always excelled at. I did talk to a recruiter about it a few months ago and they told me chances of getting back in were slim to none. I would have to get the MEPS doctors to clear me from my neck/back injury and knees which the recruiter felt was unlikely to happen. I know I can do it but Im just thinking of whether it is worth the time to try.

The most immediate thing I have lined up is that Im enrolled back in school for winter quarter but Im not sure what to do. The school Im going to has a program for Aeronautical Science that will certify me as a pilot in fixed or rotary wing among other things so Im pretty interested in that.

Im also filling out application for police departments as they are very shortstaffed and pay really well out here, but I have already been turned down once from a department a few years before which I never found out why. I scored a combined 99% but they didnt move me onto the next phase.

Problem is that none of it really strikes me as things I want to do or feel like I should do, but Im going to try anyways.
Dude, **** recruiters. The AF is hurting for TACPs, CCTs, and PJs. You may be able to find a Gaurd/Reserve unit willing to help you through the rigmarole.

I would kill to be a rotary wing pilot, but I don’t think I’d be willing to go through the “traditional” route. I feel (I could be completely wrong), that it is like being a free lance mechanic...you’re in ten’s of thousands of debt to Snap-On and resort to oil changes because you have to “earn your chips”. Some are successful but the majority end up selling their tools all while still being in debt.

All that to say, get in where you know you fit in. Military dude...

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Dude, **** recruiters. The AF is hurting for TACPs, CCTs, and PJs. You may be able to find a Gaurd/Reserve unit willing to help you through the rigmarole.

I would kill to be a rotary wing pilot, but I don’t think I’d be willing to go through the “traditional” route. I feel (I could be completely wrong), that it is like being a free lance mechanic...you’re in ten’s of thousands of debt to Snap-On and resort to oil changes because you have to “earn your chips”. Some are successful but the majority end up selling their tools all while still being in debt.

All that to say, get in where you know you fit in. Military dude...

I didnt know they were hurting for those MOS's so maybe I will check back in with them again. All the injuries I have now I had before hitting the fleet so I dealt with them while being with RTT which was even more physically grueling than the infantry.

Luckily with that aeronautical degree it covers an array of things in the field so I could go a number of paths with it if I decide to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread