Why Double The Power of The SVTP F-350? : Because Race Truck?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Great write up and pics as usual!

Not to be a kill joy ( and I admit I don't know that much about diesels ) but how does a truck have any chance of passing emissions/inspections once you remove all of the emissions equipment like this? Are you planning to swap all of the stock exhaust equipment back on when it's time for inspection? :??:

mcallister

Established Member

Not to be a kill joy ( and I admit I don't know that much about diesels ) but how does a truck have any chance of passing emissions/inspections once you remove all of the emissions equipment like this? Are you planning to swap all of the stock exhaust equipment back on when it's time for inspection? :??:[/QUOTE

its only a visual inspection for diesels, dont even have to plug into obd2. (here in ny anyway)

mcallister

Established Member
ive been running my 10 f350 for about 30,000 miles with the H&S 300 tune with no problems what so ever. these things are animals after a dpf delete and tune.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
awesome write up! I have a 2010 F250 with Spartan tunes, afe intake, down pipe, Flo Pro 5" exhaust and cac pipe. It was a night and day difference once I put the mods on. My flo pro exhaust is not stainless but it is aluminized steel. It has been on the truck for almost a year and still looks as good as new. I finally installed the CAC pipe about a month ago. I have to say that it did make the truck a little more responsive and it lowered my EGT's a good bit. I can stay in it longer now before the temps get in to the "red". Keep us posted on the up coming mods. I am also looking at doing an oil seperator, traction bars and EGR delete.

Thanks. I think you'll see like some of the mods we're working on.:beer:

Not to be a kill joy ( and I admit I don't know that much about diesels ) but how does a truck have any chance of passing emissions/inspections once you remove all of the emissions equipment like this? Are you planning to swap all of the stock exhaust equipment back on when it's time for inspection? :??:

There's no inspection on any vehicles in SC.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Looks like a case of Shell Rotella ELC showed up. We'll be saying bye to the Ford Premium Gold Coolant soon.

:rockon:

Finally, someone who understands the little things about PSD performance. That ELC and the Valvoline Premium Blue Full Synthetic 5w-40 was the greatest mods I ever did to mine lol.

I just always went with the cheapest exhaust. They all rust unless you're spending $1500+. I picked up a cheapo $250 alum. 5" exhaust about two or three years ago and it 1000x better than that AFe.

Great write up. It's nice to see the diesel crowd getting some love.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
:rockon:

Finally, someone who understands the little things about PSD performance. That ELC and the Valvoline Premium Blue Full Synthetic 5w-40 was the greatest mods I ever did to mine lol.

I just always went with the cheapest exhaust. They all rust unless you're spending $1500+. I picked up a cheapo $250 alum. 5" exhaust about two or three years ago and it 1000x better than that AFe.

Great write up. It's nice to see the diesel crowd getting some love.

The next oil change will see us switching to Royal Purple HPS 10w40.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Loved seeing this. Did the exact same mods (earlier Afe intake) about 2 years ago. And like yours, it is a tow vehicle. I yank a 43' 17k lb 5th wheel. The truck goes like a bat out of hell on the Extreme Street tune. I always load the tow tune when hooking up the trailer. Unfortunately, at 101,000 miles, the tranny went bye bye. Not sure if it was the added power or if I just got a bad tranny from the factory (job 1 btw). What I do notice is, and maybe you can tell me if yours does the same thing, that the tranny will shift erractically if I really put my foot into it. I have to roll into the throttle in order to keep it smooth. This seems to be the case with the Extreme Street tune. Needless to say, I don't ram my foot to the floor any more. Great job and I look forward to the next set of mods. Any plan to add a Snow system?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Loved seeing this. Did the exact same mods (earlier Afe intake) about 2 years ago. And like yours, it is a tow vehicle. I yank a 43' 17k lb 5th wheel. The truck goes like a bat out of hell on the Extreme Street tune. I always load the tow tune when hooking up the trailer. Unfortunately, at 101,000 miles, the tranny went bye bye. Not sure if it was the added power or if I just got a bad tranny from the factory (job 1 btw). What I do notice is, and maybe you can tell me if yours does the same thing, that the tranny will shift erractically if I really put my foot into it. I have to roll into the throttle in order to keep it smooth. This seems to be the case with the Extreme Street tune. Needless to say, I don't ram my foot to the floor any more. Great job and I look forward to the next set of mods. Any plan to add a Snow system?

I haven't noticed erratic shifting, but the truck did suffer from bucking under light throttle while running about 50 MPH. I eventually switched to KEM tunes and haven't looked back. I prefer the drivability of the KEM tow tune. A snow system may be in the future, as we have a test in the works that revolves around lowering EGTs.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Absolute best advice I have gotten as far as this truck goes. Mike must really know his stuff. Was actually out camping when I spoke to Mike about my issue. I purchased the level 75 tow tune and had to get the SCT software on my laptop. None of this was any easy chore since we were camped across the water from Canada and Verizon wanted to keep charging us international roaming charges. I didn't get the tune loaded until I was on the ferry heading home. Almost immediately I could tell the bucking and surging were gone. I am going to order a DD tune from him next. WOW, what a difference. If anyone is wondering who you should have do your tunes for a 6.4, go with KEM.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I typically run the KEM tow tune all the time. I just like how smooth it is. I have his 275 tune as well, and it's a beast. However, I prefer the smoother feeling tow tune, even for just cruising around empty.

Dougdanger

Established Member
nice write up! the 6.4 is a strong runner, beware of the stock torqshift with anything more then a 250 tune, my 2010 is on its 4th one. 2nd suncoast.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Really? Most people never have an issue with the 5R110. Whose tunes are you running? I run with the tow tune on 98% of the time. I actually use it as a work truck, not a race truck (I have a Lightning for that).

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Really? Most people never have an issue with the 5R110. Whose tunes are you running? I run with the tow tune on 98% of the time. I actually use it as a work truck, not a race truck (I have a Lightning for that).

The early Spartan tunes and to some degree the larger 275+ tunes are notorious for eating the newer 5Rs.

At those levels they just don't seem to last for any length of time. Most of the 6.4's I've seen with SunCoast trans end up grenading them as well, lots of shaft and converter problems. The NADP stuff is pretty good though.

Dougdanger

Established Member
Ive run H&S and KEM tunes since day one. the 345hp one always....kill mode or bust. 40k miles trans 3 needs clutch packs, I have a billet converter and shafts, those have been fine. My friend pulls his 09 crew cab on a regular basis, it is stock save for a batmowheel and small shot of giggle gas. it put down 697/1388 on a 75 shot and RCD tunes with a SCT hand held. his has ate 3 transmissions also, 44k miles on that. it recently defueled hard during a pull, but the nitrous didn't shut off and the #7 cylinder is toast.....

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I see, you guys are pushing the trucks pretty hard. I was thinking of the guys running around like I have this truck setup. The trans seems very solid under reasonable power levels and towing.

Users who are viewing this thread