Why doesn't Ford race the GT?

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
its a photoshope a rather abvious looking one to.

You may want to at least check your facts first before assuming bs.

http://www.wippit.com/pressreleases.aspx

-RR

WIPPIT, THE WORLD'S FIRST LEGITIMATE P2P MUSIC SERVICE, ANNOUNCES PIONEERING ENTRY TO LE MANS 24 HOUR RACE

Wippit Founder to race at Le Mans for 24 Hours single-handedly in 2002 Ford GT40 in ear splitting motor sport first

London 1st April 2002 - Founder of the World's first Peer to Peer Music Subscription Service and FREE Internet Service Provider, Paul Myers is to make motor sport history this year by being the first person ever to drive at Europe's tough 24 hour race single-handedly, without a break.

Myers who launched the first free ISP, The X-Stream Network and then the World's first Peer to Peer Music Subscription Service, Wippit, is no stranger to firsts and is bidding to make sporting history this year by driving a 2002 Ford GT40 the car built as a Ford Living Legends concept vehicle and inspired by the Le Mans winning car of the 1960's of the same name.

Teams usually consist of at least two drivers but Myers, who only sleeps for three hours a night, is confident that he can manage Europe's most gruelling race without taking the usual rest breaks or incurring serious injury.

Myers: "We've only had the car for a week and so far I have run two successful 24 hour sessions. One on a high speed test track where we averaged 187mph over 24 hours and another on one of Portugal's new motorway system where we averaged a lower speed of 146mph due to rush hour traffic conditions slowing us down a touch. The car performed well, is reliable, fast and most importantly very, very loud."

Wippit originally intended to use the new supercar for the US Gumball rally, but it is Le Mans where Ford took the original GT40 to victory in 1966, '67, '68 and '69 that offered a far greater challenge for the Wippit team.

To enable him to stay in a state of high mental alertness for 24 hours at speeds close to 200mph Myers has had an extra light weight 157 decibel in-car entertainment system designed and installed by sound system gurus Fuel who hold the Guinness Record for the World's Loudest Car.

Richard Warren of Fuel comments, "We had to squeeze in two eighteen inch subwoofers, the new neo dimiean speaker system using state of the art lightweight magnet technology. We combined this with the new Velocity Burning Desire amp and an uprated alternator kicking out 2,000 watts. Lastly we tied in Focal horn loaded tweeters to get the full 157db Paul insisted on to stay awake. It should do the trick."

This ear bleeding sound system chooses from more than 2,000 MP3 files at random, that have been specially selected to keep awake Myers for the duration.

Myers commented, "I have only four ambitions in life that I really want to fulfil. To race at Le Mans, to share a bath with all three members of Mis-Teeq, to climb Everest and to be the first driver to receive an �80 fine for driving at a normal speed without buying a pass through the city I was born in. I know at least three are achievable."

Myers is also a founding member of the team behind the controversial campaign to send Ken Livingston a million protests by email from the keeplondonfree.com web site, specifically designed to challenge the undemocratic notion of taxing drivers who live, work and shop in London.
Photos
The Wippit Team GT40
Paul Myers, Solo Driver / Team Owner

About Wippit

Wippit is a peer-to-peer file sharing service for the exchange and distribution of music files, over the Internet. Wippit is funded through subscription fees and advertising revenues. It is the latest creation of Paul Myers. Paul was formerly the founder and MD of The X-Stream Network, the UK's first Free ISP which was acquired by French Internet giant LibertySurf in March 2000. Wippit has been offering its P2P Music Subscription Service since October 4th from http://Wippit.com.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
if you believe the wippet press release you're retarded. a stereo installed to keep him alert at le mans? yeah ok rice boy.

ford isnt going racing with it because they know they'll have their ass handed to them. the company is in the tank and they dont have the resources to spend in order to be a winner.

imagine the press when it comes in 4th each race behind 2 compuware vettes and an acemco saleen s7r which is itself a disappointment.

who would you have field it? roush? saleen? kenny brown?

put down the bong.

Formula51

Established Member
I wish they would have raced it, but understand they dont have the money ro do it now. I wish they would atleast run the darn thing at Nurburgring. That one really is confusing to me. Who designs a performance road racing car and doesn't test/develope or atleast run the car at the ring? I guess Ford would be the answer.

fordification

Established Member
They probably would be pressured into to racing after the run. And they've officially made it clear that the GT was never intended for factory racing. Now whatever continues production after the GT will most likely play that role.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
if you believe the wippet press release you're retarded. a stereo installed to keep him alert at le mans? yeah ok rice boy.

ford isnt going racing with it because they know they'll have their ass handed to them. the company is in the tank and they dont have the resources to spend in order to be a winner.

imagine the press when it comes in 4th each race behind 2 compuware vettes and an acemco saleen s7r which is itself a disappointment.

who would you have field it? roush? saleen? kenny brown?

put down the bong.

Good point. I don't think they have the resources currently to field a competitive race team. Also, the C6R owns all right now. GM racing has that car so dialed in right now it's not even funny. They are even running with intake restrictions and are still dominating. Ford would have to completely commit to DEVELOPING a race program or it would get embarrassed by the vettes and S7R and kill its image

Formula51

Established Member
fordification said:
They probably would be pressured into to racing after the run. And they've officially made it clear that the GT was never intended for factory racing. Now whatever continues production after the GT will most likely play that role.

I sure hope so. Ford needs to go racing! What is the latest rumor on the GT's replacment? It cant be the GR-1 I think it was called, doesn't that thing weight like 4000+lbs.

Confirmation on the Z's lap times in the Nurburgring thread.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
Formula51 said:
I sure hope so. Ford needs to go racing! What is the latest rumor on the GT's replacment? It cant be the GR-1 I think it was called, doesn't that thing weight like 4000+lbs.

Confirmation on the Z's lap times in the Nurburgring thread.

They might make a few of those but no GR-1s will not rplace the Ford GT. Guys Ford isn't a company going bankrupt, if they don't want to run a Ford GT racing program then let them and stop making excuses for them. Hell look at the Mustang Racing Program i've heard its been doing pretty good. BTW, the Ford GT doesn't need to impress anyone it is made after the GT-40.

Hell the replacement for the Ford GT will probably be the new Fords F-series radical engine change and the lightning.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
fordification said:
exactly, they want to preserve the GT-40 image.

But preserve the image by creating an awesome tribute to it and not racing it to make sure it doesn't loose and tarnish the reputation? That sounds like pussy-footin' to me.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
Formula51 said:
But preserve the image by creating an awesome tribute to it and not racing it to make sure it doesn't loose and tarnish the reputation? That sounds like pussy-footin' to me.

would you also consider Ferrari pussy-footin' for not making a new 330 P4 to race against the new Ford GT seriously man get off a companies nuts their more important things to do in life. :bash:

satx

Banned
the question is why WOULD ford race the GT? Corvette races to improve it's image as a performance car and therefore SALES. Ford is racing the mustang because that's the car it is trying to market. The GT doesn't need the advertising.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
satx said:
the question is why WOULD ford race the GT? Corvette races to improve it's image as a performance car and therefore SALES. Ford is racing the mustang because that's the car it is trying to market. The GT doesn't need the advertising.

You only can ride on the coat tails of history for so long. I mean many people don't really care what the original GT40 won. IT was 35+years ago. It's like the north still braging to the south that they won. I understand that they don't want to tarnish their image, but unless they race it, it will just be another retro looking sports car trying to live off of its heritage.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
I understand that they don't want to tarnish their image, but unless they race it, it will just be another retro looking sports car trying to live off of its heritage.

I think the Ford GT has already proved enough -ignoring- its heritage.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
You only can ride on the coat tails of history for so long. I mean many people don't really care what the original GT40 won. IT was 35+years ago. It's like the north still braging to the south that they won. I understand that they don't want to tarnish their image, but unless they race it, it will just be another retro looking sports car trying to live off of its heritage.

you know some people cheerish history and mostly Americans. :poke: but some of you are just.

Users who are viewing this thread