Why do people part out Terminators?

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I cruise around in the market section a descent amount and it seems like most of the time there is someone trying to part out their Terminator. Why would someone do this? I can understand if the car was totaled in a wreck but the ones I've seen look fine to me or at least salvageable. They only made so many vin numbers so why would you be destroying them?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
To much money to put them back together again and they can make more parting than by offering entire car.

That's a VERY true statement. When the motor in my 65 blew I wanted to put an 03 motor, transmission and possibly rear end into my 65. After doing research on ALL the big and little parts I would need to make it work it turned out that it was cheaper to buy a whole Terminator than just the parts.

That's how I ended up with my convertible. I was going to use it as my parts car to get my 65 going and anything I didn't need (i.e. body or interior parts) I was going to sell. Once I got the convertible home and my wife drove it she said "You're not cutting this car up." So, I now have 2 Cobras and a 65 Mustang awaiting a new drive train. Funny how life works sometimes :D..........

Rail1

Established Member
Sad but true.

The only good to come out of it is we have a small supply of parts that can be purchased. Almost everything has been discontinued and new old stock is almost gone.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
+1 on the money. Overwhelmed I think is a part of it. Modding sounds fun and looks easy.. when u watch utube vids.U get to a point where selling it becomes easier then trying to finish it. I have been there and my patience ran out, almost went to the garage a couple times with my gun to deal with my car/frustrations. lucky for me to had/have friends that are a little more patient and helped me through it.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
People that cannot afford the car buy the car.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
To me, its one indicator in future collectibility of the model, over time. It seems like a pretty fair amount of 03-04's are being wrecked or parted out these days. Supply and demand will ultimately determine the car's collectible outcome, but for now... the scale seems to be in favor of folks more interested in Cobra parts for swaps and whatever than an entire 03-04 Cobra Mustang. A '93 Cobra at 25years old has some impressive numbers. Give us another 10 years of Cobra mortality and we'll see where values end up. In the meantime, I may just throw a few extra used parts on the shelf for a rainy day.

Recon

Established Member
To much money to put them back together again and they can make more parting than by offering entire car.

I agree. Several of the parts are very desired, and naturally call for a demand. There’s a few things I want from a Terminator for my Mach 1.
To the mustang community it’s a special car, but to some of the general automotive community it’s just another mustang.

Pick your poison.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Not in the same league at all but, I wonder if you would do that to a mclaren P1. Its just a car.

Yes. Just a car. Although not an apples comparison, if the cost to repair is more than the car is worth, what nincompoop takes a bath on a throw away car? I understand for the love of the car, but why spend a hypothetical $50k to repair a Cobra that’s only worth $25k? You wouldn’t. You’d go buy another and be $25k ahead. They made ~16,000 03-04 Cobras and another ~300,000 other Mustang variants during 03-04. The people who buy Mustangs typically can’t afford to take a $25k hit for any avoidable sentimental reason.

Your comparison to the P1 is not really a good comparison. The made 375 P1’s and they sell from ~$2-6 million each but economics are still economics, even at that level. It would take a lot of damage to total one, but I suppose it’s doable (flood maybe?). At that price level, it obviously takes a rich guy to be able to afford one and rich guys don’t get rich by making bad financial decisions.

I understand that someday a 03-04 Cobra will be what the early Shelby cars are today. They aren’t there yet. I still see them daily driven by kids. And nothing is collectible when children are daily driving them. Give them 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread