why did you go automatic in your turbo terminator?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
just been debating of doing an automatic swap in my car possibly. but I really want to know why others did it and what setup did you go with. pics? advise? info?

please

thanks

brian

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
just been debating of doing an automatic swap in my car possibly. but I really want to know why others did it and what setup did you go with. pics? advise? info?

please

thanks

brian
I'm in the midst of a th400 built right now. Having a local guy build it for me. I made the switch because there is severe lag between gear shifts, at least on my car. And the car is just generally laggy until the boost comes on. I'm hoping for significant improvement with the th400 and PTC converter. Plus, I'm planning to run 30+ lbs this year and the t56 just won't hold up to that reliably. I have a very detailed parts list with prices, but it's at work so I will have to post it on Monday.

slim9687

Established Member
My car has Twin 62's and now has a built th400 in it. The feel of the automatic is unreal. I have always wondered why people put autos in a car...until i drove this one. all you have to do is hold on and pull a lever back

wanna_b_03

Established Member
My car has Twin 62's and now has a built th400 in it. The feel of the automatic is unreal. I have always wondered why people put autos in a car...until i drove this one. all you have to do is hold on and pull a lever back

What rear gears do you have and what rpms are you running at 70mph? Also do you have a link to your build?

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I put a 4r70w in mine simply because I couldn't find a clutch that worked well on the street and at the track.

The auto cured that issue. There are times when I still wish it was a manual, but then I think of all the dumb throw out bearing squeeks, clutch chatter, pedals sticking to the floor, etc. and am quickly reminded why I made the swap.

itSSlow98

Established Member
I picked up juiced46 old th400 setup with a Dynamic racing transmissions th400, dynotech chromoly DS, UCC billet converter and b&m ratchet. It actually gets installed next monday and I cant wait.

The car just would never perform the way it should with the t56. The car will be a completely different animal with the auto and the endless pull it will have. Lag will be gone and there wont be a worry about breaking trans parts or the clutch slipping.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
The car just would never perform the way it should with the t56. The car will be a completely different animal with the auto and the endless pull it will have. Lag will be gone and there wont be a worry about breaking trans parts or the clutch slipping.

What he said my car is very laggy on the street with the t-56 and an auto is going to solve that issue. I have a built 4l80e waiting to go in the car here in a few weeks.
Also did u put some sort of cap on your alt pully? Or what's going on there?

Last edited:

stroked mach

Established Member
sub,,, I have a mach with a 6speed and I been thinking of a auto so I don't kill my 6speed and be out all that with the added money from a new trans so I been wanting a c4 or a built auto out of a gt or so, I know ill miss the 6speed but I wont have to drop a grand in a new clutch and all that mess this winter(I need a new clutch ) so been thinking hard on this I think what I could get out of the 6speed I could throw a grand on that and have a nice auto

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Here is my parts list. Keep in mind, I am having one built by a local guy. I prefer that way in case I have problems, I have someone to go to. If you can do the same, I recommend it.

I found a th400 core for $50, which is the about the price for a decent core. I just scored an awesome deal on a used PTC 9.5" converter also so that saved me some coin. It's an expensive build no doubt, but I sold my whining SOB t-56 setup for $1700 so that helped defray the cost. Can't wait to get this thing in the car and turn it up.

Code:
Part	                         Part Number	      Price
JW Ultra Bell	                 92462-46th	      $388 
JW Flexplate	                 N93002-468	      $194 
JW Crankshaft Adapter            80002-3	      $22.00 
B&M Pro Ratchet Shifter          80842	              $189 
Auto Meter Trans Temp Gauge      5757	              $52
Used PTC 9.5" Converter          N/A	              $350 
Lokar Dipstick	                 XTD-3350400FM	      $84 
AJE Crossmember	                 MU-7070	      $146 
Jakes Drum/Sprag	         N/A	              $250 
Jakes TH400 Output Shaft         N/A	              $50
Jakes Reverse Manual Valve Body  N/A	              $200 
Rossler Snap Ring Stabilizer	 N/A	              $39
B&M Deep Aluminum Pan	         20280	              $115 
B&M Hi-Tek Tranny Cooler	 70298	              $195 
ATI Tranny Line fittings	 085-925137	      $26 
ARP Flex Plate Bolt Kit 	 254-2901	      $36
ARP Converter Bolts              230-7303              $12
Billet Clutch Hub with Bearings	 #672	              $160 
Misc braided hose	         N/A	              $50 
Custom Driveshaft	         N/A	              $500
Billet Input Shaft CK Perf       #4CC/BIA	      $230 
Maverick Regulator Spring	 P/N 1005	      $10 
Maverick Servo Release Spring	 P/N 1006	      $11
Misc Parts Clutches/frictions	 N/A	              $136 
Replacement Planet	         N/A	              $35 
Build Labor		                              $500
                                  TOTAL	$3,980

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I went auto to cure the lag in between shifts and to cure traction issues I found with the stick.

I always like to show the dyno sheets between my 5spd and my auto swap, you can see that the power curve on the auto peaks much smoother than the peak on the stick. I hooked better, car seems much faster, and I get to listen to idiots tell me how all automatic cars are slow :rolling:.

with mach 1 T-3650

VBwaiHEl.jpg

With 4R70W

4qUzQB1l.jpg

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I really did not have lag issues with the stick. The issue that would have occured was the track. I did not want to have to launch the car @6000+ RPMs off the 2 step to get the car to launch. If you do, then some serious mods need to be done to the T56. Not only that buy you have to make a choice.

Clutch to handle the track abuse but will not be street friendly.

Clutch to be good on the street but will not handle track abuse as good and probably will have to be replaced quite often.

For me. I wanted to build a badass street car but can still run the # at the track. Auto gives you that. Its really not that expensive. Price out a clutch, input shaft, TOB sleeve, and T56 upgrades. Then price out the auto upgrade. You are at about the same cost. I think all said and done I was around $5000 into my auto swap. A clutch/FW swap alone will cost you a $1000-2000 just for something decent. Then throw in the internal upgrades, quadrent, adjuster, etc etc etc it gets pricey.

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Everything stated so far pretty much sums it up.

My car was laggy.
I broke 2 T56 transmissions.
I broke 2 driveshafts.
I broke 1 rear axle and bent the rearend.

I put the 4R70W in mine and have not broken anything since!
The PULL of the car with the auto is incredible.
It feels like I have 200+ more horsepower at the same boost level!

Highly recommend if you are making big power, want a consistent track car, or are just tired of breaking parts!

Good luck!
Ryan

BLK_03

Established Member
I couldn't keep a T56 alive to save my life. Broke three of them. Car was making 4 digits and I don't drive it gently.

Th400 and it's been trouble free for the last 5 years, has been in the 8s and I drive it to work when it's nice out. Absolutely positively ZERO regrets.

itSSlow98

Established Member
I went auto to cure the lag in between shifts and to cure traction issues I found with the stick.

I always like to show the dyno sheets between my 5spd and my auto swap, you can see that the power curve on the auto peaks much smoother than the peak on the stick. I hooked better, car seems much faster, and I get to listen to idiots tell me how all automatic cars are slow :rolling:.

with mach 1 T-3650

VBwaiHEl.jpg

With 4R70W

4qUzQB1l.jpg

Your graphs looks like mine did when my manual boost controller wouldnt hold boost in the upper rpms. Cured that with an eboost street and made the power from 4k-6500 without dropping.

Bumblebee03

Established Member
I bought my car with a auto already installed. I would never swap back the pull is amazing. I drove my friends 6 speed turbo cobra and there was no comparison. Glide FTW for me!

fangs99

Established Member
I bought my car with a auto already installed. I would never swap back the pull is amazing. I drove my friends 6 speed turbo cobra and there was no comparison. Glide FTW for me!

You mean you kinda drove my car... As I recalled you lifted every time the light for the meth came on..... But wait til my auto swap is done....it will be game on.

Users who are viewing this thread