Why did Shelby name it a Cobra?

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
So I'm sitting here with a question about my newly acquired Cobra. Why did Shelby settle on calling it that? was it just a cool name or did it have some other meaning? I hope it has something more substantial than the 350 steps-to-the-car GT 350 name.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I believe Carroll Shelby was bit by a Cobra when he was a chicken farmer and in the aftermath never ran so fast to seek medical attention.

In his racing days when he would have a fast lap or successful day he would always say " I ran faster than that day I was bit by a Cobra." His friends started calling him Cobra, the name stuck and a legend was born.

Fun fact: Before shooting the 1986 action thriller "Cobra" Sly Stallone got Shelby's permission to use the name out of respect for a fellow alpha car guy.

Not srs.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
There is a very long thread on this subject in the GT500.com forums. 800 replies to the debate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cobrakit

Established Member
Common answer is that it came to him in a dream. Maybe he was dreaming about the snake bite, who knows. Ford later got the rights to use the name on the mustangs and keep it going. GT350/500s were never called Cobras.

20180923_211342.jpg

Ohio Snake

Established Member
That is because some of them have a total hissy fit if you call a Shelby GT500 a Cobra.

That is soo true. I had a 1999 Cobra, which I did call a Cobra. I have a Shelby GT 500 which I refer to as a Shelby.....not a Cobra. There is an interesting and accepted story on why the Cobra badge is on the GT350 and GT500 models even though they are not considered Cobras.

I do see the debate possibly pop up on this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cobrakit

Established Member
Cobra's and GT350/500s were sold at the same time so the GT350/500 could not be called a Cobra. OBTW some don't like the idea that Shelby gave Cobra name rights to Ford and then Ford used it on the Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread