Why cant The U.S. make a rail system like this?

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Because the infrastructure we have is geared almost exclusively to freight and would require a huge investment to change. Everything depends on the rails, from how fast you can go, how much you can carry, how long the train can be, to how sharp the radius of a turn can be.

And we will see how well the Chinese do with regard to maintenance and accidents. The mind boggles at the amount of kinetic energy in a high speed train coming off the rails.

Jim Snover

Last edited:

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Agreed, we'll be reading about this train only it'll be because there are hundreds dead. They can't even get common civil engineering correct.

Shanghai Building Collapse & Chinese Netizen Photoshops | chinaSMACK

china_1432267c.jpg

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Personally, I think it would be a novelty in this country. People are too independant to use it on a consitent basis for traveling great distances. Americans want their cars. It's unfortunate. I'd love to see us have a rail system like Europe has.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I take Amtrak from D.C. to New York, takes less time really than dealing with an airport, seats are 3x's as big, im comfortable and have a large workspace to use if I want, but I only travel it for leasure to visit my friend. Also its cheaper than a plane and I don't have to worry about checking bags and such.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
i don't trust anything that's made in china. i'm still waiting for my ps3 to implode. which, since it's no longer made in japan, is inevitable.

THE_STIG

Established Member
"Why can't the US make a rail system like this"

Well.....we can, we just don't need or want it so we don't.

FordMustangLove

Lame-o
Established Member
actually it all stems back to the early 1900"s when the auto industry decided to lobby against trolley cars and rail systems, with government action they soon had their way. You can thank your domestic auto maker for that.

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
Like they do for Amtrak? Which only stays in existence due to federal subsidy because they can't get people to ride it.

Jim Snover

yea now here in California we are subsidizing the $10 billion high speed rail that passed in prop 1A.

i wonder how much a ticket would cost for that ? the regular train is already a ripoff i dont know how they'll compete with airlines

Users who are viewing this thread