Why are Sony and Microsoft against adding backward capability to their new consoles

Jroc

Established Member
I'm just curious as to why. I have both a PS3 and a 360, and enjoy both, and have no real bias to either. Still one of the coolest things about the PS2, and early PS3 was that they would still play the older consoles they replaced games. I still might even get on some old FFVII from time to time and it's a PS1 game. Just because a game is old doesn't mean it isn't good or undesirable to play. It just seems like there's no good reason not to have it with all the other features and capabilities these new system have. In actuality it would make for a huge plus to want to buy a new system IMO, so that you don't have to have several systems connected to play all your games especially when they are having to build up a new collection of games for the new systems.

Would it real cost them much to add a chip to read the order systems games? Is there and other good reason not to add that capability to the new consoles? Maybe they feel like it would cause them to sell less games. :shrug:

king nothing

Established Member
The explanation that I have read is that its expensive to add backwards compatibility. each console would have cost 100 bucks more if backwards compatibility was added in

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
The truth is that they just want you the customer to buy more products. It wouldn't be in their best interest to let their customers continue to enjoy old games, because they would lose money.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
The explanation that I have read is that its expensive to add backwards compatibility. each console would have cost 100 bucks more if backwards compatibility was added in

I find that hard to believe when we can play their roms and shit on the PC.

Probably a 99 cent software solution, considering the new hardware is much more powerful than the previous. The main issue would be incorporating networking features and everything seamlessly.

dajohu

Established Member
The truth is that they just want you the customer to buy more products. It wouldn't be in their best interest to let their customers continue to enjoy old games, because they would lose money.

Bingo!

That is the reason I gave up on consoles and went completely to PC gaming. I got tired of either A)selling or giving away my last console and all the games and accessories or B)storing them all in a box only to be a pain to hook up every year or so to play a game for a few days. Plus when the console breaks you have to try to find a replacement.

I can play PC games from 20 years ago (granted sometimes with some messing around with to get running) and ones from 10 years ago easily with no messing around.

I own a PS3 but only to play blu rays with.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I can't stand not having backwards compatibility! I'm finding that I enjoy the simpler days of gaming anyway. My only console right now is a PlayStation 2 with GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas. I plan on picking up some more games in the future, but overall sticking with just my PS2 for awhile.

I do miss Forza 4 and have a strong urge to play Forza 5 though.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I can't recall the last time I wanted to play a ps2 game. Honestly for me the only time I ever want backwards compatibility is when I am transitioning into a new system and I don't have many games yet.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I kept my ps3 and ps2. I rarely touch em unless i want to play a game to refresh my memory. For example the metal gear series.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
thats part of the reason I dont plan to upgrade anytime soon, I only play a handful of games, I still like my gears of war, GTA V I have for the 360 etc... I dont have room or connections for another friggin console.

Jebadias

Established Member

This is it right here. Make excuses all you like, the reality is they make more money if you have to rebuy your computer library.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Id pay the extra hundred to play the 800 dollars worth of games from my previous consoles from the past years:shrug:

Why?

Most will keep their old consoles and just hook them up if necessary. Most households will keep a 360/ps3 hooked up In another bedroom whole the next consoles take center stage. My parents house still has my original xbox and ps2 hooked up in the spare bedroom.

You're not gonna get jack shit for a ps3/360 at this point so selling it would be stupid. Just keep them and do the above like most and you can still play your huge library.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member

BINGO!

It's like the Iphones, they make it so you have to go and buy all new shit = more profit cha ching $ in there pocket!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The PS4 costs $381 to build and they sell them for $400. Huge profits on the console there! Adding hardware to the PS4 at least would cut into what little profits they have on it.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Different architecture, Cell ≠ x86
Anyone remember PS3? The original one's came with the Emotion chip, then was changed to emulation which the list of playable PS2 games was cut and werent as smooth as with the EE.
Price? Starting $500+ The Cell also had a lot to do with the high cost and also keep in mind they were LOSING money on every single PS3 being sold at the time.

They learned from their mistakes that not everyone wanted to pay a hefty price tag for a console and wanted to make profit. A smaller percentage would buy a backwards compatible console selling for maybe $600+ vs what they have now.

Almost everyone already has a PS3, whats soo hard with grabbing a different control and changing the input? Console gamers getting lazier everyday……
Besides the point, Gaikai will launch next year anyways, so no….. they're not both against backwards compability.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread