Who's swapped exhaust on their R?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Would like to add a little more volume to my R . Lt headers are my 1st choice but I'm not ready to void warranty by tuning so I'm looking @ catback systems. Who's swapped catbacks on their R and was the sound increase enough to justify $2k? I'm leaning towards the Borla Atak system

cobra4ever

Established Member
I am looking for the same answer Borla Magnaflow or the system Hooker seems to be developing

Zemedici

Established Member
Borla will be LOUD.

Lot of guys just get the resonators removed, it amplifies the stock sound without costing near as much as a catback.

1FASFKR

Established Member
Borla will be LOUD.

Lot of guys just get the resonators removed, it amplifies the stock sound without costing near as much as a catback.

I just got my R two days ago so I may be a little green still about it but I'm pretty sure the R has no resonators. Versus the regular 350 which has resonators. I know there was a difference in sound when I fired each of them up for a listen with the exhaust flaps open. Anyway, I personally can't imagine modifying the R exhaust in anyway.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Correct, the R has no resonators.

That said, i love the way headers sound on these with the factory catback. I just wouldn’t love not having a warranty

ANGREY

Established Member
Deleting the cats is going to require a tune otherwise you're going to get a MIL and a lot of guys don't like doing the tune because of the issues it creates with warranty claims.

mjc1241

Established Member
Shifteck cat deletes do not require a tune if you get the O2 spacer kit. I have been running their cat delete with the spacer kit for over 1k miles with no MIL light. Only thing I struggle with is the rasp on my 2016 Track Pack with the cat delete, resonator delete and stock exhaust. Going to change to the Shifteck recently offered production H pipe to try and mellow it out some. I don't really want to spend $1k plus on a new exhaust.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Are you hard of hearing, OP?? I can't imagine wanting an R to be louder. You could try adding some dumps behind the headers, if you're just looking for eardrum-destroying sound.

ANGREY

Established Member
Shifteck cat deletes do not require a tune if you get the O2 spacer kit. I have been running their cat delete with the spacer kit for over 1k miles with no MIL light. Only thing I struggle with is the rasp on my 2016 Track Pack with the cat delete, resonator delete and stock exhaust. Going to change to the Shifteck recently offered production H pipe to try and mellow it out some. I don't really want to spend $1k plus on a new exhaust.

So the extensions probably feature a MIL eliminator in them. The computer has to have SOME way of being fooled that the 02 values aren't changing pre and post converter.

mjc1241

Established Member
I do not have a tune on my car so taking the O2 sensor out of the direct stream of exhaust gases allows for no MIL code. The extensions are just 90 degree bended extensions so nothing special about them. No MIL light so that's what I am happy about.

Users who are viewing this thread